C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

American Collectors Insurance - OK to drive it to work now?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 12:40 AM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Default American Collectors Insurance - OK to drive it to work now?

American Collector Insurance - The American Collector online magazine.
May 2012 | Issue #5

National Collector Car Appreciation Day is July 13th

For the third year in a row, SEMA, the Specialty Equipment Market Association, has secured federal acknowledgment of an annual “National Collector Car Appreciation Day.” Introduced by Montana’s Senator Jon Tester, Senate Resolution 452 was passed on May 9 and states that “the collection and restoration of historic and classic cars is an important part of preserving the technological achievements and cultural heritage of the United States.”

(lots of stuff deleted)

A big part of the idea behind NCCAD is to introduce the hobby to people who might not otherwise be exposed to classic cars, and there are many ways you can do this. Just getting your car out into the driveway and washing it where people can see it might be enough to spark a life-long interest in a kid passing by.

Here are some other tips on sharing the hobby with others:
  • If your club is holding a cruise-in, have it somewhere public or include some downtown cruising.
  • Drive your classic to work, and show it off to your co-workers, or take the grandkids for ice cream in the evening.
  • Print out a couple of informational sheets or business cards with some interesting facts about your car. For example: “This Plymouth Cranbrook Belvedere sold for just about $2,000 in 1953, which was a mid-priced car but an expensive Plymouth. All Plymouths that year used a 217.8-cu.in. 100hp L-head straight-six, and this one has the optional Hy-Drive automated three-speed manual transmission.” If you give that to someone who’s interested, they have something in their hands that might be enough to get them involved in the hobby.

(bold red is mine)

Can you believe they just told us to drive our classic cars to work?
Old 05-19-2012, 07:26 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

No - I don't believe it and I don't think you should either...
Old 05-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Don't think that means "daily driving to work". Better find out how they define it.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:21 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing
American Collector Insurance - The American Collector online magazine.
May 2012 | Issue #5

Can you believe they just told us to drive our classic cars to work?
I believe the Senate Resolution told you to drive your car to work, not the Insurance Co.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:04 PM
corvette-62
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

All you need is an accident going to work in "bumper to bumper" traffic. Call up your agent and site American Collector Insurance - The American Collector online magazine. May 2012 | Issue #5. I'm sure he'll understand.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:33 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,171 Likes on 487 Posts

"or take the grandkids for ice cream in the evening."

Even this isn't allowed under the terms and conditions of the policy.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:12 PM
American Collectors
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We appreciate you reading our newsletter and thought we’d weigh in on the thread relating to our latest May issue; hope it helps to clarify.

All collector-vehicle insurance programs, including American Collectors, charge rates that are significantly lower than standard auto policies because they do not support daily driving/regular general usage. Our program supports hobby use and occasional pleasure driving. If you are an American Collectors customer and you occasionally want to drive your classic Corvette to work or out with the family, that is acceptable (particularly on a special day like National Collector Car Appreciation Day). For customers who wish to drive their collector vehicles more than 5,000 annual miles and/or wish to use their collector vehicles for occasional general transportation, we offer a Freedom Tier mileage plan.

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to ask! You can contact a customer service representative at 1-800-360-2277 or email us at info@americancollectors.com.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:38 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,171 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by American Collectors
We appreciate you reading our newsletter and thought we’d weigh in on the thread relating to our latest May issue; hope it helps to clarify.

All collector-vehicle insurance programs, including American Collectors, charge rates that are significantly lower than standard auto policies because they do not support daily driving/regular general usage. Our program supports hobby use and occasional pleasure driving. If you are an American Collectors customer and you occasionally want to drive your classic Corvette to work or out with the family, that is acceptable (particularly on a special day like National Collector Car Appreciation Day). For customers who wish to drive their collector vehicles more than 5,000 annual miles and/or wish to use their collector vehicles for occasional general transportation, we offer a Freedom Tier mileage plan.

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to ask! You can contact a customer service representative at 1-800-360-2277 or email us at info@americancollectors.com.
OK, so now that we have your "ear," maybe you can answer a couple questions (I have American Collectors on my '64 and '91.)

Obviously a car can't always sit and must be driven occasionally. Is it OK to take the car to fill it up and put some miles on it through the canyons every few months that are un-club or un-event related?

Can I drive them to Club meetings (at night in a less than steller area) on a regular basis (every month)?

If I do a weekend event and must leave the car at a hotel/motel over the weekend ungaraged or unguarded, am I covered?

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 573 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Policy underwriting rules usually govern the rates/premiums charged. The actual policy wording, including exclusions/limitations, governs the coverage. Claim adjusters have to handle the claims and interpret what the others meant. Never, ever, rely on what your neighbor says he got or was told. Always be honest up-front on how you will be using the vehicle and pay the appropriate rate!
Old 05-23-2012, 02:02 PM
American Collectors
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the questions Todd - and for your business! Enjoying your Corvette (or any classic) is an important part of the hobby, and we definitely encourage you to use your collector vehicles for pleasure drives. Everything you mentioned (drives through the canyons, club meetings) is usage that our program supports.

As for the hotel scenario during a car show, that too is part of the hobby. When your car is parked at home, we want it to be taken care of in a secure garage, but we understand that at events this isn't usually possible.

So which shows do you enjoy attending?

Redbird - all good advice!
Old 05-23-2012, 04:30 PM
FlaVert
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by American Collectors
Thanks for the questions Todd - and for your business! Enjoying your Corvette (or any classic) is an important part of the hobby, and we definitely encourage you to use your collector vehicles for pleasure drives. Everything you mentioned (drives through the canyons, club meetings) is usage that our program supports.

As for the hotel scenario during a car show, that too is part of the hobby. When your car is parked at home, we want it to be taken care of in a secure garage, but we understand that at events this isn't usually possible.

So which shows do you enjoy attending?

Redbird - all good advice!
Good to see a rep from American Collectors on the forum. I also have my cars/bike covered by AC and these are questions I have asked myself in the past. Thanks for clearing things up.

Get notified of new replies

To American Collectors Insurance - OK to drive it to work now?

Quick Reply: American Collectors Insurance - OK to drive it to work now?