C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help Plan out a C1 Resto Rod

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 08:45 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

Default Help Plan out a C1 Resto Rod

Hello, I'm helping a freind plan out a Resto Rod. He wants a 61- 62 and hasn't anything yet. He has been looking at Donnar cars but I say start with the Frame and Power Train and the Body will come along sooner or later. So far the plan is for a full fledged Car, as in new Frame, Suspension and Drive Train. So to start the Project we need a Frame, and therefore the Question. Who's Frame would You recomend ??? Figure on probably C4 Suspension. Thanx....
Old 05-20-2012, 10:37 PM
wolfman64
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 181 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Banks,

In reply to your question about a C-1 chassis:

Corvette Correction/ Billy Dawson/ Seguin, TX

Street Shop Inc./ Tray Walden/ Athens, AL

Art Morrison Enterprises/ Fife(Seattle), WA

I'd personally find the donor car first. It will help you with budgeting for what you may use on the drive train, body work, trim (i.e....bumpers, grille, windsheild, cove moulding, etc.), A/C and interior finish out.

Check out Forum member "DCAGGIANI"'s new website: www.vetterodder.com. He's compiled a great deal of restomod information at this site.

Wolfman
Old 05-20-2012, 10:56 PM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

SRIII frame is very popular. If you want a complete pro-touring chassis check out roadstershop.com. I like your idea of buying the chassis first and looking for the car over time. I didnt do it that way but wish I did.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:26 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

I would use Corvette Correction or SRIII. Both have very good customer service, performance, value, and price.
Mike Coletta

Last edited by mike coletta; 05-22-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:46 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

I agree with Mike! Corvette Correction or SRIII. These two frames are different as night and day, but both are a great chassis. Billy uses a twin rectangular tube design with transverse fiberglass springs, while Mike at SRIII uses a triangulated tubing chassis with coilovers at all 4 corners. both of them have very good ride and great handling. Billy's chassis will keep the car looking more stock, as none of the chassis sticks lower than the rockers. The SRIII chassis is deeply triangulated, and the lower tube sticks down below the rockers. The SRIII chassis wins in the WOW category however. It is a stunning chassis when well detailed.

Both these guys are great craftsmen, and good guys to boot.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 05-21-2012, 12:18 PM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I would also cast my vote for Billy Dawson's frame. Billy is a wealth of information on these restomods and a heck of a nice guy. I do not have any hands-on the experience with the SRII frame, and my only observation on it would be that it seems to sit really low to the ground.

As an interesting side note, the car pictured in this thread (post #9) uses the Dawson frame: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...-a-c1-now.html

Charles

Get notified of new replies

To Help Plan out a C1 Resto Rod

Quick Reply: Help Plan out a C1 Resto Rod