C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

A Few Questions About Buying a Mid-Year...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Zeppelin
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A Few Questions About Buying a Mid-Year...

Hey guys,

I've always fantasized about owning a '67 air coupe with side exhaust. I'm starting to think more and more about buying a "toy" and vacillate between whether to buy something new/modern or something vintage/classic.

I've never owned a classic car, so I'm wondering just how much work it is to own one. Will something be breaking on a monthly basis that I'll need the know-how to tinker with the engine to keep the car running? If I bought a nicely restored unit, could I have some comfort in feeling that it would run fairly well for years to come? I'm really pretty in the dark on this topic.

Also, I've never even driven one. How do you go about test-driving something as rare as a C2? For all I know, I could drive one of these and not like it nearly as much as I thought I would. That would be a bit heartbreaking, but I'm prepared for that reality.

Any tips or warnings to someone looking to possibly buy a C2 that you wish you had known prior to buying one?

Thanks,
Zep
Old 06-05-2012, 10:24 AM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are nice restored originals, good daily drivers and resto mods. From your post, it sounds like a resto mod may fit the bill. Basically it is a modernized vintage car. Many use brand new parts still under warranty. Welcome to the forum!
Old 06-05-2012, 10:34 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

A kind forum member here invited me to drive his '67 to see what I thought (although I'd built a '69) when I began posting on the C2 forum. Maybe you could get the same deal if there is a local Corvette club (that wasn't full of late models) you could plug into? Maybe drive one at a classic dealer?

As far as work/tinkering goes- no two are alike. Even two complete frame offs will probably have you finding one is more reliably sorted than the other. A little work is a must. The good news? Most the car is simple and the forum members here are the best to help out. Whatever you are doing, someone has done it before.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:42 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

All of the cars will require some degree of tinkering. As stated a restored car is not a gaurantee that it will be well sorted and without needs.

If you will share your general location with us (city) you may find someone willing to take you for a ride in theirs, maybe let you drive it.

Cars that sit a lot can require more work because seals dry up, carburetors get gummed up, etc.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:25 AM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

An original C2 will not have the same ride characteristics of a modern day car - nor the conveniences we are all so used to these days - including reliability. They are a harsher ride, louder, and hotter in the cabin than any modern day vehicle and of course will require some tinkering as already mentioned by others.
So why bother?

1. Design wise - there is nothing quite like the classic styling of a vintage Corvette. it is a classic American Icon and thankfully looks nothing like the jellybean design of modern day cars

2. Investment - a normal car, even a modern Porsche or Corvette WILL depreciate quickly over time whereas, a C1/C2 Corvette should at least maintain its value if not appreciate over time.

3. Insurance is very inexpensive (as long as it is not your daily driver) and can be insured for a stated value - so piece of mind is there

4. Community - With a classic Corvette you have access to many of us in the Forums to become part of the Corvette Community. Perhaps even attend some car shows or Power Tours......

I agree that a Resto Rod may be the best of both worlds because you can get modern suspension and engine/tranny that will give you a much nicer ride and raise the reliability factor tremendously for you.

Good Luck and Welcome!!!

Dan

www.vetterodder.com
Old 06-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Plankton
Cruising

Hi Zep,

I just went through the same decision process and ended up buying a frame-off restored 1965 convertible with a newly installed ZZ502 crate engine and Tremec 5 speed transmission. It runs and drives GREAT --- but most of all, it's reliable!

Billy

Oh, I forgot to add... I've only had my car less than 2 months and have already driven it over 1000 trouble free miles. I drive to/from my beach house in Ocean City, MD (350miles round trip) sitting in all kinds of traffic jams, etc. It has an aluminum radiator with electric fans so it runs KOOL for hours on end...

Last edited by Plankton; 06-05-2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: adding to original message
Old 06-05-2012, 12:40 PM
RRod
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zeppelin
I've never owned a classic car, so I'm wondering just how much work it is to own one. Will something be breaking on a monthly basis that I'll need the know-how to tinker with the engine to keep the car running? If I bought a nicely restored unit, could I have some comfort in feeling that it would run fairly well for years to come? I'm really pretty in the dark on this topic.
It took me 30+ years to fully learn (and feel) all the individual quirks of my original 65 L79 Conv ..... i.e. when it is running good (or bad).

I still feel thankfull every time I make an uneventfull 30 mile exercise run with it twice monthly.

Same goes for the 65 Mustang GT Conv my late-wife owned for over 45 years and both cars have had all their original mechanical and electrical components properly rebuilt or restored about 15 years ago.

I'm too old to start a new "learning" relationship with any mid-60's/early 70's car regardless of how well it has been restored or rebuilt as Murphy's Law will rule supreme in such situations .... no matter what anyone says (especially if they have an interest in making the sale).

Last edited by RRod; 03-23-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:58 PM
jkuzzy
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

I agree about asking a local club for a little ride. If you lived around the Dallas area, I would meet you without batting an eye.
I have had my 64 for almost 6 years now and I have had to do things that the previous owner didn't do. Otherwise, there has been so very little to complain about. Each time I get in and drive, it doesn't even matter.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:07 AM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I will share my decision process with you as to how I ended up building a custom C2 Corvette. I originally decided to look at performance cars. My first choices were the M3 and possibly the C63. Once I digested $60k for a vehicle, I then started looking at GTRs, 911s and Z06/Zr1s. The mental threshold for a $100k vehicle took awhile. I then realized that $100k for just any car, was not something I could live with. If I was going to spend that kind of money, the car had to be unique. I also wanted to be a part of the car's construction, much like custom building a home.

I was not in a hurry as I didnt have sufficient capital to begin the project. I started with research on custom cars and resto-mods. I joined this forum, pro-touring.com and lateral-g.net. This forum gave me an idea of the market, what to look for and most importantly, what to expect. The other forums are very educational for the build process and component selection.

The research phase took me about a year but it was as much capital accumulation as research. I then formed a plan and budget. My budget was to have a custom C2 Coupe for the cost of a new Z06/Zr1. The low end was $100k (Z06) and high end $125k (Zr1).

The project is 80% complete with all major components purchased and most of the labor paid out. This project has been a lot of fun. I have researched and sweated each decision and now understand how a wife can get wrapped up in minor home building decisions. Resto-mods on this forum are largely built as custom touring cars with less under the hood and more comfort than I require. I was able to build exactly what I wanted and how I wanted it. In the end, my investment may not make money, but it certainly won't depreciate as much as a new Zr1.

Though I didnt turn the wrenches, I know a lot about my car. Each and every component was researched and ordered by me. Components we normally take for granted like brakes or suspension, required hours of research. I tried to do nothing cheap and nothing foolishly overboard. I certainly did nothing cheap and only went foolish on the motor, lol.

Before you do anything, go to the project cars on pro-touring.com and lateral-g.net. These websites are focused on performance upgrades to old muscle cars. Why build a $100k vintage Camaro that competes with a $55k new Camaro ZL1? There is some financial logic to building a $100k vintage Corvette, competing against a $100k new Z06/Zr1. Anyone with a checkbook can buy a new Zr1. My custom C2 Coupe, much like my home, will have my personal touches and reflect my personality. Quiet and conservative in appearance, with loud and obnoxious tendencies, lol.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:49 AM
FLORIDA
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '07

Mid years are like sexy women - beautiful but can be high maintenance. In stock condition they ride hard, they ride like an old truck. Back in the dayit was all about power with no options; no power steering, no power brakes and no a/c. If you ordered all the options it would take away from the power and ad too much weight (in theory). I am 61 and I had my first mid year at 25. It seemed to ride great back then but now we know better. I agree with what other have said about resto mods. With a resto mod you can have the best of both worlds; updated power steering, updated power brakes and updated a/c, power windows, etc.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:05 AM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
... Cars that sit a lot can require more work because seals dry up, carburetors get gummed up, etc.
I can attest to that! 4 brake calipers, front brake hoses, gas tank, fuel lines, carb rebuild, fuel pump... I'm sure there's more but I want to forget.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Zeppelin
Le Mans Master

I appreciate all of the replies and especially the lengthy discussion by Jerry. I'm sorry it took so long for me to get back to this thread -- my computer died and then I went on a 5-day vacation with zero Internet access.

It sounds like a resto-mod might be more to my liking, although maybe I'd be better off doing something like an M5 for now and toying with a "classic" when I'm a bit older and have some time to piddle with it.

Thanks again for the info and your time. - Zep
Old 06-18-2012, 11:42 PM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I appreciate all of the replies and especially the lengthy discussion by Jerry. I'm sorry it took so long for me to get back to this thread -- my computer died and then I went on a 5-day vacation with zero Internet access.

It sounds like a resto-mod might be more to my liking, although maybe I'd be better off doing something like an M5 for now and toying with a "classic" when I'm a bit older and have some time to piddle with it.

Thanks again for the info and your time. - Zep
Just happened to notice you are a senior member on the forum since 2004. Do you own any other year Corvette's or have you in the past?
Old 06-19-2012, 10:37 AM
Zeppelin
Le Mans Master

Nope -- just an enthusiast. My dad had a C2 when I was a kid, and it gave me the bug.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:38 AM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Nope -- just an enthusiast. My dad had a C2 when I was a kid, and it gave me the bug.

Very cool! You have studied them for quite a while, and are probably much more "schooled" in the early cars than many whom have jumped out and purchased one. Good luck in your search!
Old 06-19-2012, 11:56 AM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Well then let me try to answer your starting Thread question here being you never owned a Vette before. First of all speaking for myself I have owned C2's and C3's from many years ago getting my first C2 used in 1970. Have ownly known C2'and C3's ever since until purchasing my C5 in 2010. I still own a C2,C3 and C5. Now in your case if you are looking for a Corvette that you can depend on for everyday use where you don't necessarily need to get your hands dirty as much I would recommend a C5 on up. These cars you can take anywhere. If you want that Classic Corvette a C2 or C3 it will keep your hands dirty especially if you expect to use it everyday throughout the year after all these cars are better then 40 years old. If only buying to own a collector car to drive them once in awhile to Cruises and Car Shows or a Sunday drive a C2 or C3 will surely keep one happy. It all depends on you and what you are looking for.

For others on this forum who haven't driven a C5 as of yet you really need to do so when ever your get a chance. During the many years I heard only good things about them. The C4 never caught my likes I have to admit but the C5 always looked to me like a car I would like to own and I have to say I am impressed to say the least after owning one. Wish I would of picked one up years ago. For the money today they are a steal I have to say. A very nice one can be had for under $20k with low mileage. Hope I don't get picked on for speaking about the C5 on this forum but if so what can I say?
Old 06-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Zeppelin
Le Mans Master

Appreciate the info.

I can't say I'd want it as a daily driver, but I wouldn't want it to just be a garage queen either.

I'm honestly the type of guy that would probably be better served buying a C6/7 or a 911 if I wanted to go the sports car route for a toy/2nd car, just b/c I like the idea of being able to hop in, turn the key, and go. I just love the iconic lines of those C2s. Maybe I should save this project for later in life when I'm not working so much and would have more time to tinker with it.

The more I think about things, the more I'm tempted to start researching the super-sedans like the CTS-V, M5, etc., that give you that sports car performance in a family sedan package.

I appreciate everyone's insight. This is something I've always fantasized about buying but always felt fairly naive about the work/commitment needed to keep it running. It sounds like it's definitely something to factor in to the equation.

Thanks, Zep
Old 06-22-2012, 12:25 PM
RRod
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ffas23
If you want that Classic Corvette a C2 or C3 it will keep your hands dirty especially if you expect to use it everyday throughout the year after all these cars are better then 40 years old. If only buying to own a collector car to drive them once in awhile to Cruises and Car Shows or a Sunday drive a C2 or C3 will surely keep one happy.

Get notified of new replies

To A Few Questions About Buying a Mid-Year...

Quick Reply: A Few Questions About Buying a Mid-Year...