C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

OT - Alzheimer disease

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 07:14 PM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Received 1,250 Likes on 461 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year (stock)
C2 of Year Winner (stock) 2019
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

Default OT - Alzheimer disease

I know this probably isn't the the most apporpriate topic to post on the Forum, but I'm sure many of you have been touched in some way by Alzheimers disease. About a year ago I posted pics of my cars here on the Forum and I referenced the fact that my wife of 40 years was diagnosed nearly two years ago with this terrible disease. Many of you sent well wishes and offered kind words and we appreciated every one of them. The disease has progressed more quickly than we anticipated and we are taking one day at a time.

Please take a look at the website that our middle daughter created in honor of her mother..................please take time to click on all the tabs on the site. I know I am biased about her work, as any father would be, but I would like to personally say a big THANK YOU to Krista, not only for her hard work on the website, but more importantly for her dedication, love and compassion for her mother and me. Thank you Krista.......................mom and I love you more than you know......
I only wish mom could understand what you've done in creating the website to honor her and others who suffer from this horrible disease.

http://www.aracetoremember.com/index.html

It seems we never pay much attention to the bad things in life, not until they grab us by the throat and slowly try to tear the very life out of us. This disease is THE WORST thing my wife and I have faced in our 40 years together.........................but we will face it together and fight the best fight we possibly can.

Thanks to all who read this post and visit the website.

Rex
Old 06-26-2012, 07:20 PM
GreaseMonkey
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PA Events Coordinator

Rex,
Your daughter did a beautiful job on the website. Very touching. Would there be a way to make a donation towards a runner/walker who is participating in the race?
Old 06-26-2012, 07:21 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Rex,
Many of us who have had a family member with this affliction feel your pain and that of your family. You just have the make the best of every day regardless of how difficult some days may be. Very nice tribute that your daughter has constructed. Give her our compliments.

Don
Old 06-26-2012, 07:24 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,090 Likes on 4,740 Posts
Army

A wonderful tribute by your daughter. Lost my much beloved mother-in-law to this disease a decade ago and it was the toughest thing my wife and I have ever gone through in our 45 years together... Chin up and take it a day at a time...
Old 06-26-2012, 07:30 PM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey
Rex,
Your daughter did a beautiful job on the website. Very touching. Would there be a way to make a donation towards a runner/walker who is participating in the race?
Thanks Mike, that's very kind of you. If you click on the CONTACTS tab on the site, you can contact Krista or Angela for information about donating. Also, 100% of the proceeds will go to Alzheimers.

Thanks again.
Rex
Old 06-26-2012, 07:37 PM
GreaseMonkey
Le Mans Master

PA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Dr L-88
Thanks Mike, that's very kind of you. If you click on the CONTACTS tab on the site, you can contact Krista or Angela for information about donating. Also, 100% of the proceeds will go to Alzheimers.

Thanks again.
Rex

Your wife, you, and your family will be in my prayers. Hang in there! I have been fortunate thus far to have not had to deal with this disease. I hope I never experience it.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:40 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,990 Likes on 676 Posts

Rex,

I lost my dad to Alzheimers 16 years ago . .and not a day has gone by that I don't think of him and how such a brilliant man (he was an engineer) could have died of such a horrible, degenerative disease. My mother-in-law is confined to a nursing home now after having suffered a stroke and now has dementia as well. Your daughter has done a wonderful job to honor Linda and remind everyone of the research that's needed to hopefully one day find a cure!

Tom
Old 06-26-2012, 08:18 PM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

you have your hands full. always accept help and try not to do things yourself. trust me,
pride can tear your body up. my late wife had MS and a form of that nasty disease.
best of luck and prayers jim
Old 06-26-2012, 08:26 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I feel for you and share your pain in that my father has this horrible condition. My mother deals with it as you do on a daily basis. My thoughts and prayers for you and yours that whoever you believe in provides you with the strength and patience that you need each and every day.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:27 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 639 Likes on 382 Posts

Default PRAYER WORKS to ease the pain

You know how I feel Rex. I did not know the extent of what was going on with your loving wife.

Life is very special, and we have to hold on to every moment. Dee and I have added Linda and your family to our prayer list of special friends with ailments.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:47 PM
Gimme1MoreC1
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Rex, I know you are proud of Krista, she is doing a wonderful deed not only for her mother, but to everyone that is not aware of this dreadful disease by spreading the word. My father, who inspired me in so many ways, including the admiration of classic cars, has been stricken with Alzheimer's for several years. I visit him often, and although it's sad to witness most of the time, I can still look deep into his eyes and occasionally he looks back with a wink or a smile and then I know the gentle, loving man that I adore is still there deep inside. The hardest part is driving home with tears flowing.
I wish I could offer advice, but I think you are surrounded by all of the love you will need to keep the tight bond you and your family have already formed. My prayers go out to you and your entire family.
Joe
Old 06-26-2012, 11:45 PM
Rick Gower
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 105 Posts

Rex,

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. May God continue to watch over you all.

Rick Gower
Old 06-27-2012, 12:57 AM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

I wish you the best in these tough times.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:18 AM
Downdraft
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Sincere wishes, Alex
Old 06-27-2012, 08:42 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,603 Likes on 828 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Beautiful website. Your daughter did a very good job.

My wife and I just returned to FL after spending 7 years in MN taking care of her mother who had Alzheimers and her father who had mobility problems and couldn't take care of her. You're in quite a journey and my hat is off to you and anyone else who goes through this horrible disease with their loved one.

Strange as it seems, you'll find amusing moments among all the sad ones. Here's one I remember: My mother-in-law wasn't able to wash her hair herself and I was the only person in the family whom she would let take her to her to her weekly 1-hour beauty shop appointments with out a huge battle. So, every Friday afternoon, I took her and sat with her. I remember one day sitting in the waiting area reading an article in Women's Home Journal when it occurred to me that this was my mother-in-law's way of getting even with me for some transgression I did to her in the past. I actually laughed out loud at the thought. If she could have understood, I would have shared that thought with her and we both would have had a good laugh. Look for moments like that and try to see the humor in them. It will help.

-- Steve
Old 06-27-2012, 11:17 AM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Rex- I know your frusteration and pain. My father has been fighting this terrible disease for almost 3 years, and my mother is in early stages. It is the hardest thing I have dealt with to date, next to my wife fighting for her life with breast cancer. It is a day to day thing with me, as when I leave from my visits, I am sad, mad and everything in the middle, but I still have the both of them, and that is the positive that I take away! I do everything I can, and know they feel the love I have for them each day. Good luck with the journey.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:55 AM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,309 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Very nice tribute.

My Dad passed away a year and 1/2 ago. He was diagnosed with Alzheimer's when he was 85. He (we) lived with it for 10 years.

Get notified of new replies

To OT - Alzheimer disease

Old 06-27-2012, 04:08 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,627 Likes on 2,183 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Your daughter did a great job with the website That's a very difficult situation you have been dealt at such a young age. Hang in there. A very good friend of mine who is a long time solid axle guy is now in supervised care at the age of 61 due to early onset dementia. . Very sad. You never know what life will throw at you. Best of luck with your wife.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:33 PM
65LS6C4
Racer

Originally Posted by Dr L-88
I know this probably isn't the the most apporpriate topic to post on the Forum, but I'm sure many of you have been touched in some way by Alzheimers disease. About a year ago I posted pics of my cars here on the Forum and I referenced the fact that my wife of 40 years was diagnosed nearly two years ago with this terrible disease. Many of you sent well wishes and offered kind words and we appreciated every one of them. The disease has progressed more quickly than we anticipated and we are taking one day at a time.

Please take a look at the website that our middle daughter created in honor of her mother..................please take time to click on all the tabs on the site. I know I am biased about her work, as any father would be, but I would like to personally say a big THANK YOU to Krista, not only for her hard work on the website, but more importantly for her dedication, love and compassion for her mother and me. Thank you Krista.......................mom and I love you more than you know......
I only wish mom could understand what you've done in creating the website to honor her and others who suffer from this horrible disease.

http://www.aracetoremember.com/index.html

It seems we never pay much attention to the bad things in life, not until they grab us by the throat and slowly try to tear the very life out of us. This disease is THE WORST thing my wife and I have faced in our 40 years together.........................but we will face it together and fight the best fight we possibly can.

Thanks to all who read this post and visit the website.

Rex

My sister sent this to me recently. Everyone should check this out. Almost like the lorenzo's oil discovery/story.

http://www.cbn.com/media/player/inde...p4/LJO190v1_WS
Old 06-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

What can I say? I am truly humbled and overwhelmed by everyone's words of compassion and kindness. Perhaps my daughter said it better than me.

May God bless all of you and your families and may He allow us to find a cure for this terrible disease..................soon.

Sincerely,
Rex Turner

Below is what Krista asked me to post on the Forum:

"Thank you to everyone who has viewed the http://www.aracetoremember.com/index.html website. More importantly, thank you for the prayers, well wishes, positive words and personal stories you have shared with us. While it is a long and hard journey, through this we have learned it is better to take a constructive repsonse rather than a destructive response to the situation. Having friends and aquaintences like you helps. If I could open my heart and pour out all the feelings you have ignited (humility, love, knowledge, to name just a few) it would be enough to fill the oceans ten times over. Please continue to check the website and forward it on to people you know. Help us to spread the word about Alzheimer's."

Sincerely,

Krista Dewolfe

Quick Reply: OT - Alzheimer disease