C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Divorced choke

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 05:16 PM
vdavenp802
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Divorced choke

Had a bit of trouble with the choke working properly on my 327/350. I have the 3810 holley with the divorced choke. The choke rod that goes from the bi-metallic coil up to the cam/lever that moves the butterfly closed was about 1/2 inch to short. Too much to re-bend the choke rod and make it work. Couldn't get any parts supplier to tell me the length of the choke rod, only that they have only one for that carb.
I went to the local hardware store, got a steel rod of the same diameter and with some bending and filing got the exact length I needed to let the choke work as intended. Whew.
Anyone have a similar problem or know why mine seemed too short. I am using only one gasket. I have original type/style 3810 made post '72. Pictures of the carb around(froums, etc) are identical to mine.
Its just a puzzle to me. I'm okay now, everything works on the carb.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:55 AM
c2roadster
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default choke rod problem

I am having the exact same problem as you had. All I did was install the 350hp aluminum manifold and now I cannot get a choke rod from any supplier to fit properly. I tried bending (and broke) several rods that I got from the corvette suppliers. I also tried without any luck, making one out of a coat hangar. I cannot get the proper bends. No one will tell me either the proper length of their rods. One told me yesterday that it should be 4 1/2 inches. When I questioned that, he got very rude and told me to "just bend one up yourself", it's not that hard.
Please, any help would be greatly appreciated. Feel like bending another rod for me??
Old 10-21-2012, 10:43 AM
vdavenp802
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

More details:

I used 1/8" round stock steel rod from my local ACE hardware( I had to get 3' lenght rod). The size matched the original.

I first made a prototype from a stiff coat hanger, which is easy to bend but stiff enough to see if length is correct and does it really work. I bent the coat hanger using the orginal as the model and extended the lenght by about 1/2". Installed it and tested on a cold engine to see if lenght was correct, and it was.

This is the critical part. You need to bend it according to the original, but the lenght will be specific to your setup. You will most likely need to add more or less than I did.

I then took the 1/8" stock and cut a length easy to work with. I then used my table vise to bend the rod
according to the original. The key here is that my bend is not 'exact, very very close to original. Then I cut lenght to match the prototype. Then used a small file to 'round off' the ends. Installed and tested again. It is working great today.

The reason this happens is because the carb is made or various applications, i.e. different manifold heights, etc., and therefore an exact match of that rod may or may not fit a specific application.
Hope this helps, let me know how it turns out. I would be happy to bend one for you if need be, but I think you should be able to do this. I could be done without the vise, but it would be harder to do I think.

Brad

Last edited by vdavenp802; 10-21-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:48 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by vdavenp802
More details:

I used 1/8" round stock steel rod from my local ACE hardware( I had to get 3' lenght rod). .....
Hope this helps, let me know how it turns out.
Brad
Brad, I can tell you this will definitely help me with a Buick project, thanks for the info!

Get notified of new replies

To Divorced choke

Quick Reply: Divorced choke