C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

THIS is rust free frame

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 02:04 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Default THIS is rust free frame

Not bad for being 51 one years old, and never touched, other than with a scraper and wire brush today.

Finally have the other project off the lift, so time for some under body detail on the '61 now that i have a lift,

Nice virgin, bright metal, that little bit of rust stain will come off with a wire wheel, even the rear cross member is clean, I think the gobby weld had to d with either a tow hitch, or maybe some thing related to drag racing, bases on the wheelie bar brackets i removed after I bought the car in 1974. You can still see the forming marks on the rear crossmember

Doug

Last edited by AZDoug; 10-15-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:16 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Not bad for being 51 one years old, and never touched, other than with a scraper and wire brush today.

Finally have the other project off the lift, so time for some under body detail on the '61 now that i have a lift,

Nice virgin, bright metal, that little bit of rust stain will come off with a wire wheel, even the rear cross member is clean, I think the gobby weld had to d with either a tow hitch, or maybe some thing related to drag racing, bases on the wheelie bar brackets i removed after I bought the car in 1974. You can still see the forming marks on the rear crossmember

Doug
Looks good and solid but I wouldn't call it "rust free". In fact, neither did you in your post.

Jim
Old 10-15-2012, 03:03 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Well, based on the usual internet descriptions, it IS rust free, when "light rust"= frame weighs half as much a it used to and has gaping holes, "surface rust"= has not rusted through yet, but after sandblasting the rust off, it has the texture of an asphalt road.

That little bit of stain here and there,will come off with a wire wheel, and not leave pits.

Doug
Old 10-15-2012, 03:09 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

nice

what's next?
Old 10-15-2012, 03:14 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Well, based on the usual internet descriptions, it IS rust free, when "light rust"= frame weighs half as much a it used to and has gaping holes, "surface rust"= has not rusted through yet, but after sandblasting the rust off, it has the texture of an asphalt road.

That little bit of stain here and there,will come off with a wire wheel, and not leave pits.

Doug
Understood. I was just giving you a hard time. Kind of like saying "that girl isn't fat, she's just 200 lbs. overweight".

Jim
Old 10-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Very nice....my '61 frame has one of those 'gob' welds at the radius arm bracket...but its rock solid and rust free. I'll grind it back some day I guess.

Just wish my PO had powder coated the frame when the car was apart. Touching up the frame without a lift is a PITA.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:22 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Touching up the frame without a lift is a PITA.
More like almost impossible.

Years ago I scraped as much crud as I could off, while on my back, with the car on jackstands, you couldn't reach half the places,and you got crap all over you.

The four post lift is letting me get to all those places, with tools i couldn't have gotten in position, from the ground.

two or three half days with a wire wheel, scraper and wire brush, followed by a good wipe down with lacquer thinner, followed by a rattle can of satin black paint, will get it looking pretty good.

The only thing that would be better, was if i has one of those high pressure industrial hot water spray cleaners, though you need one of those hooded white chemical suits to keep dry during that process.

Doug
Old 10-15-2012, 04:26 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Doug

I envy your rust free, dry, western examples.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:28 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,307 Likes on 13,978 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The frame looks pretty solid - a good powder coating would really protect it and make it look great.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:32 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The problem I hear with powdercoating is it is hard to touch up. I don't know this for a fact, but have read it on other forums.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:04 PM
mike16
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AZ Doug.

I'm betting its an arizona frame.

aint it amazing what is rust free out here
Old 10-15-2012, 05:38 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
- a good powder coating would really protect it and make it look great.
No doubt, are you volunteering to do all the body off and dis assembly and reassembly labor?? Body has never been off the car, i never saw the need as the frame didn't need any work, I removed and rebuilt the front cross member and rear axle assembly maybe 15 years ago.

The car spent its first 19 years in Idaho and Montana, even though it snowed, back then, they didn't use salt as it was too cold for salt to do any good. I think it was too cold for the rust oxidation process to occur.... The soil up there isn't acidic, either, like in the rust belt.

After that, it was CA and Arizona.

Doug
Old 10-16-2012, 12:15 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by KC John
The problem I hear with powdercoating is it is hard to touch up. I don't know this for a fact, but have read it on other forums.

I powder coated my 67 Chevelle SS when it was restored in 05/06 and it looks as good today as it did then. Thus far I have been very pleased.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:33 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

The car spent its first 19 years in Idaho and Montana, even though it snowed, back then, they didn't use salt as it was too cold for salt to do any good. I think it was too cold for the rust oxidation process to occur.... The soil up there isn't acidic, either, like in the rust belt.

Doug
My '64 was first sold in Tucson, stayed in AZ til 1986 when brought to Texas (seller was in the military) and stay there until 2012 when I finally brought it to NJ. The only thing inside the frame was sand from AZ which I blew out. Used to be slalom raced in AZ, so I figure that's how the sand got inside.

Body has never left the frame and I want to repaint the frame. How will you paint the tops of the frame while body is on? I guess you could mask the fiberglass tub, but how would you wire brush and repaint the tops?
Old 10-16-2012, 03:21 PM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

No doubt, are you volunteering to do all the body off and dis assembly and reassembly labor?? Body has never been off the car, i never saw the need as the frame didn't need any work, I removed and rebuilt the front cross member and rear axle assembly maybe 15 years ago.

Doug

One thing to keep in mind about classics from the "rust-belt" is they most often spend at least half of every year stored away, unused. I'm in Toronto, Canada and the frame of both my '75 Silverado and '65 Corvette look fantastic
... but neither have been left exposed to winter roads.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:06 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ifitgoesfast

Body has never left the frame and I want to repaint the frame. How will you paint the tops of the frame while body is on? I guess you could mask the fiberglass tub, but how would you wire brush and repaint the tops?
Since one can't see the top of the frame, I don't see much need for painting it, I am not scraping the top of the frame either, i will just let the 50 year old oily dirt film do the water protection.

Doug

Get notified of new replies

To THIS is rust free frame

Quick Reply: THIS is rust free frame