C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 charging system

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 07:55 PM
Pierre
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default C1 charging system

I am at the tail end of my '56 restoration and I'm having problems with the charging system. The ammeter is working as it moves to the minus side when I turn on the lights without the engine running. When I run the engine, the ammeter stays in the center and doesn't move at any time.
Does anybody know of an easy or simpleway to test if the generator or voltage regulator are working or not working?

Thanks,

Pierre Joly
Old 06-05-2002, 10:01 PM
Curtis
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: C1 charging system (Pierre)

So far, I would say your ammeter is working. If you are at idle your meter will read at zero. A regulator doesn't charge much if any at idle. You will need to increase your rpms to see if it moves when you have your lights on. If it stays on zero at that point then we need to ask JohnZ or someone. It should go above zero when you have the lights on and are driving showing that it is charging for the light use. Rev the car a bit (2000 or so) and then turn the headlights on. It should indicate a charge to your eye.

Hope this helps a bit,
Curt
Old 06-06-2002, 11:57 AM
Pierre
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: C1 charging system (Curtis)

No matter what speed I rev the engine at, there is no movements at the ammeter. This would indicate to me a problem with the generator or regulator. Just trying to determine where to start in troubleshooting, hate to buy a new component and find out after I have the same condition.

Thanks for your help,

Pierre.
Old 06-06-2002, 12:16 PM
kcust62
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: C1 charging system (Pierre)

I had a slightly similar problem on my '62. I took the cover off the regulator, started the engine, turned on the headlights and had the wife operate the accelerator. Regardless of engine speed, the relay in the regulator would not "kick in". I tapped the regulator case with a screwdriver handle and the relay closed. Ammeter began to work. I replaced the regulator and the rest is history. Not sure if this will fix yours, but, it won't hurt to check the mechanics of the regulator. Good luck!

Karl/KCwild62
Old 06-06-2002, 12:24 PM
Curtis
Racer

Default Re: C1 charging system (kcwild62)

Ok, my guess is you need to reverse the polarity (jump a wire). I have done this, but forget how. I may have to go back into my notes. You need to do this to get the generator working properly. You only have to do it once. If this isn't done you may get no charge and you will be driving off the battery power.

I'll take a look, but there should be someone on here that can tell you how to do it. I will be tied up much of today.

Enjoy,
Curt
Old 06-06-2002, 01:32 PM
kcust62
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Curt is right. If memory serves me, relieve the fan belt tension, take a piece of #12 wire (spark intensity is hot) and attach it to the "FIELD" terminal on the regulator. Take the other end a touch the "ARM" terminal on the regulator, for no more than a second or two. The generator will spin allowing it to become properly polarized. I'm not 100% certain of the sequence of the FIELD and ARM connections. Like Curt, I also have this written down and will pass it along when I get back to the garage. Hope you don't mind waiting for a little while. I'm still at work.

Later,
Karl/kcwild62
Old 06-06-2002, 01:37 PM
stouro
Instructor

Good Morning Corvette People,
Hey Pierre I just went through all of this with my '62.
The polarity may in fact be wrong. Did you at any point re-wire or change either the generator or regulator?
I systematically went through this repair. Disconnect Battery.
1) Remove and cleaned the generator, Either Chilton or Shop manual gives
you a workable diagram to disassemble the generator. In my case I left the
field coils in the housing. To clean the generator I suggest using alcohol
and a clean rag. Simply take it apart and wipe the components and inner
housing clean. DO NOT wet the armature and field coils as this may dissolve
the varnish insulation on the windings. Just blow them clean with compressed air. Reassemble the generator.
2) Inspect the wires, If they are corroded or insulation is cracking, Change them.
3) Inspect the regulator, It the Points on the relays are corroded or burned
replace the regulator. If you are in doubt, Auto Zone sells a Wells VR 605,
This is a $14.99 replacement regulator.
4) Re assemble system and wiring. When you are sure that the wires are
correctly in place and tightened, Re connect the battery.
5) Before starting the car, "polarize" the generator. To Polarize the
Generator you momentarily jump a wire between the "Batt" terminal
and the "Arm"(or "Gen") terminals on the regulator. Just for a brief moment.
6) Start the car....
You should now see the Ampmeter indicate a positive charge.
If NOT Take the generator out of the car and have Auto Zone test it.
Remember to again "polarize" it when putting it back in the system.
You must "polarize" the generator Whenever you remove wires from either
the generator or regulator.
I hope this helps! I know I had to trial and error my way trough this.
but This procedure I outlined should do the trick. Good Luck!
Take Care,
Shawn :chevy
Old 06-06-2002, 03:51 PM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: C1 charging system (stouro)

Anytime you remove a lead from the generator or regulator, there is a 50% chance it will need to be polarized when reconnected. Best just to go ahead and do it. You can test the generator output by grounding the field terminal and then checking the voltage at the armature terminal. Should read 15+ volts. This bypasses the regulator, and you are reading the unregulated output of the generator.

Get notified of new replies

To C1 charging system

Quick Reply: C1 charging system