C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'58 wiper trans woes

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,089 Likes on 4,740 Posts
Army

Something to consider:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-1959-19...395a28&vxp=mtr
Old 12-19-2012, 11:53 PM
Waffle
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Good point, i am likely to chuck this one through the garage window and down he street so i will need a back up!
Did you zoom in on the picture... both cables appear to be coming out of the same opening.... that is not how it is supposed to be ...right?
Old 12-20-2012, 12:23 AM
Waffle
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Excellent article Terry! Thank you... I re-measured the installed cables and came up with the same numbers as before ... both cables are 21-1/2" , i also find it odd that both cables are the same length since everyone else's measurements indicate that one of cables is longer than the other.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:34 AM
427390HP
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

You're welcome Kurt! Yes, your equal length cables does sound odd, but if new cables were installed, they could have screwed up and put the wrong length on. It sure sounds like it. That sure is a kick in the butt if that's what happened.

On the transmission Frankie referred to, you're right. The cables do NOT come out of the same opening. Good catch! Also, be SURE to ask if the cable tensioner works properly if the seller doesn't mention it. That seller says it's ready to use and I don't think so.

Here's a picture of the bottom of mine for the orientation of the cables coming out of the two sections in the housing.

Terry

P.S. Open the garage window before you throw the transmission through it. It makes the toss more satisfying that way!

Last edited by 427390HP; 12-20-2012 at 01:40 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:54 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Here are my old ones and no the cables do NOT come out of the same slot. The problem is that folks that get too aggressive pushing down on the shaft to release the cable locking pawls and force the cable spool down past the flimsy bent over housing tabs and then the cables can move around (e.g. into the same housing slot). I've even heard of the whole shaft and spools falling through the bottom of the tranny into the cockpit

Buying a used tranny is a gamble (of course). If the only problem is the cable location its a really easy fix, again that is IF everything else works. That's why I didn't say "buy this" and just "its something to consider". Your call.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-20-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:43 AM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Fast forward 10 years

The best Christmas gift I ever got was that wiper upgrade 10 years ago!
Old 12-20-2012, 02:09 PM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your a tried and true solid axle owner now. Don't know how many times I worked on my wipers. We feel your pain. Never really could get passenger side completley correct.
Eventually Put a Specality Power Windows system in.

Could you change out just a cable?
Old 12-21-2012, 05:35 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,070 Likes on 514 Posts

Have you looked at Charlie B's rebuild page. ? Here is the link

http://www.carols62.com/59/wiper_trans.htm

Mike Coletta
Old 12-21-2012, 06:00 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Yeah Mike - think so. That is the link referred to in the OP's very first post, and, yes INMYBLOOD you can swap just a cable. I did all 4 for my wiper tranny rebuild. The issue is getting the right length cables to start with.

I think we are coming to the conclusion that one or more cable lengths in the Carols62 link are wrong.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:56 PM
Waffle
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I am returning the original right side transmission to CC for re- re- rebuild. Now that i have spent a lot of time messing with it I realize that one of the stops is missing and the other one is tagged on. Also it seems the lower spool doesn't totally release, and the cable is short. We'll see what I get back. In the mean time i am going to buy a replacement transmission. I am curious... all of the transmissions say '58 to '62 in the ads and it seems the date stamped on them is '58. Are all these transmissions stamped '58?
Old 12-21-2012, 11:36 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Waffle
I am returning the original right side transmission to CC for re- re- rebuild. Now that i have spent a lot of time messing with it I realize that one of the stops is missing and the other one is tagged on. Also it seems the lower spool doesn't totally release, and the cable is short. We'll see what I get back. In the mean time i am going to buy a replacement transmission. I am curious... all of the transmissions say '58 to '62 in the ads and it seems the date stamped on them is '58. Are all these transmissions stamped '58?
That is my understanding and I've never seen anything but '58 stamped on the '58-'62 wiper trannys. However, the earlier trannys ('57 and earlier) ARE different and mount at a different angle due to the difference in the dash/firewall design. So you can't use those.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:59 PM
427390HP
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

That is my understanding and I've never seen anything but '58 stamped on the '58-'62 wiper trannys. However, the earlier trannys ('57 and earlier) ARE different and mount at a different angle due to the difference in the dash/firewall design. So you can't use those.

Ditto. That's my understanding as well.

Below is an excerpt from a GM parts catalog that shows the same part number for each side for 1958-62 that pretty much verifies that.
Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2012, 12:23 AM
Waffle
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Well i really wanted door panels for christmas but i suppose a wiper transmission will be just as exciting Tomorrow will be spent routing the wire harness and hopefully installing the clutch/brake assembly. However i have learned each step usually involves re-work and $$ so we shall see! Thank you for the guidance/mentoring.. I'll let you all know when I get back to the right wiper transmission!
Kurt
Old 12-22-2012, 07:23 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Door panels ? Clutch/brake assembly ?
Boy - you are having an exciting Christmas !
Old 01-14-2013, 02:20 AM
Waffle
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Well I have not heard from CC yet but I went ahead and got a replacement wiper trans from Mary Jo and guess what? ... it went in and hooked up in 5 minutes... jeez. I'll let you all know what I her on the other one... thanks for your help!
Kurt
Old 02-14-2013, 12:55 PM
Hotchrome
Advanced

It sounds not good, with CC....
I sent them my both 58 wiper transmissions yesterday,
for service and repair. Hope they will make a perfect job
on the transmissions, like they did it the last years, never had a
problem with CC-services. It takes one week minimum for shipping from here
to them, 4-6 weeks for repair and one week shipping back to me.
And then non fitting transmissions?, Return to CC.....PLEASE NOT!
Let's see.....
Old 02-20-2013, 01:12 AM
Waffle
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Hotchrome
It sounds not good, with CC....
I sent them my both 58 wiper transmissions yesterday,
for service and repair. Hope they will make a perfect job
on the transmissions, like they did it the last years, never had a
problem with CC-services. It takes one week minimum for shipping from here
to them, 4-6 weeks for repair and one week shipping back to me.
And then non fitting transmissions?, Return to CC.....PLEASE NOT!
Let's see.....
As a follow up CC did great and stood behind their work! I sent the transmission back to CC and called them to let them know it was my third try. They covered the shipping for me and repaired the transmission no questions asked and no charge. Great job by CC, everyone has glitches now and then and they really showed me what a great vendor they are by backing their services even though it was likely an issue with a sub-contractor.
Kurt

Get notified of new replies

To '58 wiper trans woes

Old 02-20-2013, 06:18 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

You are more forgiving than me my friend. The frustration, delay in your car being back in working order, and, laying on your back for hours sorting this out counts for something. These devices aren't that complex and shouldn't require multiple attempts at repairs. It's shoddy work and CC should consider a new third party for this stuff.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:03 AM
Waffle
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

You are more forgiving than me my friend. The frustration, delay in your car being back in working order, and, laying on your back for hours sorting this out counts for something. These devices aren't that complex and shouldn't require multiple attempts at repairs. It's shoddy work and CC should consider a new third party for this stuff.
Forgiving? Maybe.... I think it may be that the dash pad T'd me off so bad the wiper trans is just a beer and pretzle story at this point

Kurt
Old 02-23-2013, 09:10 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Waffle
Forgiving? Maybe.... I think it may be that the dash pad T'd me off so bad the wiper trans is just a beer and pretzle story at this point

Kurt
Won't argue that, even a little bit. C1 dash pad installs can reduce a strong, healthy man into a gibbering idiot.

Quick Reply: '58 wiper trans woes