Been a while since I posted, had my head into the project and work. I finished the '49 Ford truck, showed it and won Best in Class in early May 2012 then was able to clean up the garage and get the Vette moved home from storage. I built a body cart and transferred the body in July.
I knew the '67 frame was toast but wanted to break it down and save/sell anything that was worth anything. Most everything was rusted to the point that the frame flexed when we lifted the body off. I photo documented everthing and began the bag/tag process.
Here is how bad the frame was, the PO had weld plates applied to half the frame just to keep it together.
I picked up a really nice '75 donor frame/rolling chassis and started to break it down as well... more ziplocks!!
I am converting the '75 frame to match the '67, so the body mounts are getting moved/transferred. I set up the frame, laser leveled and then set up a datum frame out of unistrut. This was really great as you can bolt it all together and still see the center lines on the reference holes and body mounts. Here is the way I sectioned the frame to splice on the '67 rear frame sections.
Here is the pass side frame section during pre-fit.
The '67 frame is wider and the '75 is taller so I had to cut out wedges and re-shape to mimic the original frame transitions
Here is the rear part of the frame all tacked up
Top welds done and ground smooth, I also wire wheeled the '75 frame - gotta love the new smooth/shiney steel!!
The inside frame line is nice and straight, I'm very pleased with how it's turning out!
I'm also full welding the frame and adding a removable trans crossmember that I picked up from Craigslist ($120). I'm fabricating the side rail brackets from the ends of the '75 fixed crossmember and modifying the front side tabs to match the 90 degree shape.
Last night I repaired the #4 body mount holes that had some rust wear and tacked in the patch where the fuel line exits the front kick up. I'll try and get some more pics posted as I progress. I've got all the suspension parts cleaned/sandblasted and rust prepped, just have to catch a nice warm day to get them primed and painted. I hope to have a new rolling chassis in a month or so.