C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

moving wiper motor behind firewall midyear

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 08:33 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Default moving wiper motor behind firewall midyear

I thought I'd share some pictures of how I move the wiper motor behind a smoothed firewall. This is really a restomod thing, and not for the purists. I've had questions over the years about how to do it, and as you can see from the pictures, a simple bracket attached to the birdcage, using a Raingear wiper motor and switch. It really cleans up the firewall, and gets rid of the "refridgerator sized" stock motor.

Mike Coletta

Old 01-25-2013, 09:24 AM
mechron
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

sorry Mike, I just left the wiper motor in place with all the wiring and fabbed up an aluminum panel to cover the firewall on my restomod. It looks just like your first pic. The speedo cable and all the wiring are behind the aluminum panel. Even the hood release cable from side to side is under the aluminum panel. My panel is held in by the three bolts on each side that hold the hood release brackets in place, plus two bolts at the bottom. AS built I can pull the panel out for any repairs if ever needed...
Old 01-25-2013, 10:04 AM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mechron
sorry Mike, I just left the wiper motor in place with all the wiring and fabbed up an aluminum panel to cover the firewall on my restomod. It looks just like your first pic. The speedo cable and all the wiring are behind the aluminum panel. Even the hood release cable from side to side is under the aluminum panel. My panel is held in by the three bolts on each side that hold the hood release brackets in place, plus two bolts at the bottom. AS built I can pull the panel out for any repairs if ever needed...
Pictures of your mod?
Old 01-25-2013, 10:07 AM
TheGanzman
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike - Nice work, and thanks SO much for taking the time to SHARE this with the group! Now - How 'bout showing us (or me, via PM) how you did that slick "GPS in the speaker grille" pop-up thang - THAT was as slick as an owl d*ck!
Old 01-25-2013, 10:13 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Now - How 'bout showing us (or me, via PM) how you did that slick "GPS in the speaker grille" pop-up thang
Thanks.........That's a little more complicated, and still "top secret" LOL, but the next time I pull the dash, I'll take a couple of pictures.

Mike Coletta
Old 01-27-2013, 04:47 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 648 Likes on 277 Posts

Thanks Mike. amequipment.com, any particular part number 230, 230J, or 238?
Where do you get the fiberglass to "smooth" the opening?
Thanks,
Ken
Old 01-27-2013, 05:16 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Ken,
I use the motor from this system. http://www.pacificwesterndesign.com/...rvette5362.htm
I don't know the part number as it is not a "normal" item. You can get it with the intermittent feature, or just a 2 speed. I think it's about 100 bucks. I just use a scrap piece of fiberglass, glued and then glassed in. McMaster Carr sells flat fiberglass sheets in different thicknesses.

Mike Coletta

Last edited by mike coletta; 01-27-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:58 PM
Dejavet
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Mike, There is a brace going from the Z Bar to the fire wall that attaches to the part of the fire wall you removed. What did you do to reattach this brace?

Charlie
Old 02-05-2013, 08:00 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Hey Charlie,
I didn't !!!!!

Mike Coletta
Old 02-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Dejavet
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

So Mike, I assume you feel the brace is not necessary? I shouldn't be concerned about leaving it out? I guess you have done enough of these that you would know.

I like the clean look of the flat firewall, so I do plan on preforming this modification on my project. I only hope it will look as nice as yours.

Thanks,
Charlie

Get notified of new replies

To moving wiper motor behind firewall midyear

Quick Reply: moving wiper motor behind firewall midyear