C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Windshield washer

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 06:36 PM
Montana Mike
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield washer

Any suggestions out there on why my wiper washer on 63 swc won't pump the fluid? The unit was sent in and the repair shop says it works fine. I can hear the washer pump as the button is pushed. Checked the tube for any obstruction. I even tried priming it with a funnel and some elevation to the inlet tube, to no avail.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:54 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

I have the exact same probem. I was told to Prime it. Fill the hose with fluid. Let me know how that works. My car is in storage so I have to wait until April.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:38 PM
63C
Heel & Toe

After rebuilding my pump, I had to resort to sucking on one of the outlet tubes to the spray nozzel while blocking the other outlet tube to get it to prime. Might try a small syringe filled with water to push water into the inlet side of the pump.

Steve
Old 02-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

You may want to double check the valve plate. It only takes the smallest particle of dirt or hard water scale to make any of the valves not seal correctly. All three valves have to seal correctly or the pump won't work.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Montana Mike
Instructor

I managed to pressure fluid through the lines to test those. So there was no blockage. After disassembling the pump I found the diaphram was collapsed. But it also appears to be missing a rubber seal in the end with three rings. This seats the inlet and outlet orifices. So will order the parts and see if that solves it.

Last edited by Montana Mike; 02-11-2013 at 07:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield washer

Quick Reply: Windshield washer