C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Generator and VR Polarization

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 09:41 AM
dharris45
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Generator and VR Polarization

I've searched here and on the NCRS forum and read what there is on polarizing. Still a little confused.

I'm getting ready to start my 1960 for the first time since nearing completion of restoration.

Does the ignition key need to be in the off or on position when polarizing?

The instructions I got from John Pirkle with my VR and my Generator have the same instruction, and that is to polarize at the VR terminals.

I read one thread here that also mentioned polarizing the generator.

Does polarizing at the VR take care of the polarity for the whole system?

Thanks,

Don
Old 02-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Geralds57
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 596 Likes on 361 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

The key does not have to be on. Use a jumper wire between bat and gen on the voltage regulator just for a split second and that's it.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:52 PM
dharris45
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Geralds57
The key does not have to be on. Use a jumper wire between bat and gen on the voltage regulator just for a split second and that's it.
Thanks, I sure hope my engine startup goes flawlessly this Sunday!!!
Old 02-22-2013, 02:03 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Geralds57
Exactly right - and you are polarizing the generator NOT the V/R even though that is where you do the procedure.
You can put a mult-meter across your battery terminals at some point on your fresh start up and make sure that the voltage reads from 13.8V-14.2V and then you can be certain that the charging system is up to snuff.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-22-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:17 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,126 Likes on 553 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The only component you 'polarize' is the generator. They use permanent magnets which can loose their magnetism if not used for a long time. Generators are self exciting and need no external current to start the charge cycle.
When you polarize you are re-magnetizing the magnets and setting the polarity correctly.
To polarize the generator take a jumper lead from the battery positive terminal to the A terminal on the generator for a split second.
Joe
Old 02-22-2013, 05:20 PM
stellar
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

No permanent magnets in there. Electro magnets is why they need polarized.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:46 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by stellar
No permanent magnets in there. Electro magnets is why they need polarized.
Yup. but there is residual magnitism in the pole peices that can disipate if out of service for a prolonged period or if the generator is remanufactured. This is why repolarization is sometimes necessary. In most cases it is an unneeded procedure, but the risk is reverse polarization, and that comes with smoke for effect.

You are good to go with the first couple of suggestions above.

Dan
Old 02-23-2013, 10:10 AM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dplotkin
Yup. but there is residual magnitism in the pole peices that can disipate if out of service for a prolonged period or if the generator is remanufactured. This is why repolarization is sometimes necessary. In most cases it is an unneeded procedure, but the risk is reverse polarization, and that comes with smoke for effect.

You are good to go with the first couple of suggestions above.

Dan
I can't agree enough!

rustylugnuts
Old 05-06-2017, 05:23 PM
63splitter
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may be a stupid question, but if I am only replacing the VR and the generator has not been touched, do I still need to jump the Bat and Gen terminals on the new VR? Shouldn't my generator stay polarized?

Thanks,

Rick - 1960 Vette
Old 05-06-2017, 05:36 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by 63splitter
This may be a stupid question, but if I am only replacing the VR and the generator has not been touched, do I still need to jump the Bat and Gen terminals on the new VR? Shouldn't my generator stay polarized?

Thanks,

Rick - 1960 Vette
In 99% of the cases, you don't need to do it. Polarizing just restores the residual magnetism in the generator. It takes a lot to lose that.

But then. It's a one minute procedure so why not?
Old 05-06-2017, 05:45 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 63splitter

Thanks,

Rick - 1960 Vette
No stupid questions, only stupid answers. In this case, no. You do not need to polarize a generator if you have removed the regulator, the generator has no idea the regulator left or that another one is in its place.

Dan
Old 05-06-2017, 06:03 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

True. But unfortunately, most V/R manufacturers recommend the procedure and thus, make it confusing for novices...
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-06-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:26 PM
63splitter
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thanks guys.......

Thanks for quick feedback, as always. I am leaving for a 4-day Vintage Chevrolet Car Club of America cruise in Buffalo New York and suddenly the battery won't stay charged. I followed all the tests on the Corvette Forum posts and it appears to be the VR. I bought one 3 years ago for $25. Now all of a sudden they are $80. But I had to have one today so I paid it. I also went out on eBay looking for a solid state VR but no one had one that had been done by Wilton for sale so I bought an NOS one instead.

Supposed to be rain, maybe snow, and very cold weather in Bullafo but the wife and I are driving the '60 up there nonetheless. It's a 2 hour drive up there. We're going to the Erie Canal and Locks Museum, a Frank Lloyd Wright house, a wooden carousel horse museum, and Niagra Falls. The trunk is packed full of sweatshirts and coats, as well as tools and cleaners. Wish me luck!!!!
Old 05-06-2017, 06:32 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Wilton's owner died several years ago and his C1, generator solid-state V/R conversions are rare as hen's teeth. I sold my spare last summer on the forum to another member.

A few, fortunate people have them and, unlike me, they aren't letting them go... There probably aren't more than 30 or so that were ever made...prob less...

You did the right thing buying an NOS unit......the repros are crap and most are non-adjustable...so they are what they are...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-06-2017 at 06:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Generator and VR Polarization

Quick Reply: Generator and VR Polarization