C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Potential WTB 1965 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 07:09 PM
PreviousOwner
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Potential WTB 1965 Coupe

Hello all. Am new to the forum and have run this by the mods to be sure it's acceptable. Long story, short, I have an interest in a 1965 Coupe on eBay. Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965-...orcev4exp=true

Unfortunately, it has been many years since I've messed with the old Corvettes and am out of touch with pricing, weak points, strong points, resale value, etc. etc. The owner of this particular car says it's "matching numbers" but doesn't know where to take the pic(s) even though we've discussed the engine stamp pad. Obviously the car is modified, i.e. flares, repainted different color, added side pipes and so on, so, it's not for the purists. I'd like to get the forum members opinions on the car. Specifically, do you guys see any "red flags", what's a reasonable offer, would an original engine add THAT much value, do the flares take away THAT much value, etc?

Supposedly no rust as the car was purchased in AZ and moved to CA. Here are a few more pics: http://s753.photobucket.com/albums/x...65%20Corvette/

As an aside, is there any forum member near the Huntington Beach area that would run by and put some eyes on it for me should I get that far in the negotiation process? Please PM me on what your estimate for out of pocket expenses and time to do a brief "inspection" would be.

Thanks much, and, what a great forum to discuss these cars!
Cliff
DFW, TX

(Mods, please move or edit as necessary to meet forum guidelines)
Old 03-02-2013, 08:00 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 515 Likes on 355 Posts

IMHO he should have taken the high bid. If he doesnt know how to tell if it is numbers matching, there is a whole lot more that he doesnt know. HAVE THE CAR CHECKED OUT. Its going to be a money pit to get back to close. By the time you get it where you want it, you can buy one nicer and done. Check out Mike Terrys 67 on here its a get in turn the key and go car.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:58 PM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm in Long Beach, which is just up the road from Huntington Beach. If you're still interested and can make arrangements with the guy, I can always go put eyes on it for you. I've owned C2s since '73, so I'm fairly familiar with them -- though I don't claim to know everything. And I'm retired, so my days are fairly open.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:32 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,265 Likes on 2,330 Posts

A couple of things that would bring doubt to the "numbers matching" 350 hp motor for me would be the fact that the tach is not a 350 hp redline and the intake is not aluminum. It looks like a 300 hp with a 365hp tach. The true 350hp (L79) should have aluminum intake and a 6000 rpm redline.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:49 AM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Not a 65 grille, strange place for coil, can't see any ballast resistor?
Old 03-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

That is a 65 grill! ...the car looks just like my 63 as I added side exhaust, cut the rear window out. What it needs is the bumpers to be corrected and lose the smile....more likely the wrong engine too. I like the car, but not the price
Old 03-03-2013, 11:36 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,265 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironcross
That is a 65 grill! ...the car looks just like my 63 as I added side exhaust, cut the rear window out. What it needs is the bumpers to be corrected and lose the smile....more likely the wrong engine too. I like the car, but not the price
Not that it matters, but that's not a 65 grill. Look at the last picture at the bottom of the ebay ad row of pictures. The grill has eggcrate type vertical bars that are not on 65 grills. They appear to have been painted black, but still there.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:50 AM
TheGanzman
Racer

I went and looked at the car last weekend. Owner really seemed to not know that much about the car, or about Corvettes; he bought it 'cause he liked it - drove it back from Arizona in ~2005. Overall, I "liked" the car, but I agree that its "real price" now is prolly closer to $35K, IMHO. The car ran O.K. - I didn't drive it because I felt like the owner and I would be too far apart on any offer that I would have made on THAT day. He indicated to me that a mechanic TOLD him that it was the original engine. The light wasn't good when I was there, and I didn't have my glasses, but in MY opinion, it is NOT a "matching numbers" engine - your mileage may vary. Additionally, there is a vestigal radio in the stock location, which I SUSPECT required cutting of the center console; hence the facia over that area. Also, some speakers were installed in the B pillar area, compromising the trim in those areas; factor THAT into the asking price. Carpet is aftermarket, car was originally yellow, doors both "sag", so factor in door hinge replacement; front bumpers (as previously indicated" will need adjustment. Also of note - front turn signals/parking lamps have been removed entirely - there are NO provisions for same...

Again, overall I "liked" the car - just not at that pricepoint...
Old 03-03-2013, 02:59 PM
PreviousOwner
Instructor

Thank You all for the replies so far. A special thanks to Ganzman who replied after seeing the car. Please feel free to p.m. me anything you'd rather not publicize.

As mentioned, yes, originally Goldwood Yelllow over Black leather. The leather seats are looking a little tired. Oh, and the owner told me that one of the people that looked at it said the BB hood looked to be the real deal vs. a repop (smooth underneath?). I guess there's some value there. I too, questioned the tach and am beginning to doubt the matching numbers engine theory. Not that hard to find the stamp pad.

Just to clarify, I wouldn't take the car back to original, nor attempt to get the numbers to match, etc. My thoughts were to just drive as is, fix what mechanical was needed and hopefully be able to sell (at some point way in the future) without losing a ton and/or breaking even. It would probably just be at the local car shows, if even that.

I thought I saw a P.S. leak and something's leaking back around the diff. Couldn't tell if it had SS brakes (Ganzman?). Wouldn't want to spend a ton on it. The car has a unique stance to it and I think that drew my eye. Pricepoint. Completely agree. Maybe even lower and I'm not sure he'll turn loose of it for much less than whatever his reserve was.

And, yes, the radio install bugged me too. No telling what kind of mess is behind that facia!

Keep the comments coming. Greatly appreciated ! FWIW, I have an email in to him as we speak to see if he's adjusted his asking price. Thanks all....
Old 03-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Did you see this 65 in our classifieds here?
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1s-...upe-427-a.html

It got a 427 NOM in it.. some tasteful mods/customization... but it would probably have few surprises than the one you are looking at on eBay.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:08 PM
TheGanzman
Racer

The car doesn't have any real "leaks" per se, but the entire underside has the usual "grunge" from minor "weeping" of probably the differential, transmission, rear main, etc. One axle's worth of brakes were replaced at SOME time, but not recently...

I believe that this car has a 7 leaf rear spring; don't know if it has the full-blown F40/F41 suspension or if the rear spring has just been replaced. And BTW, *I* am the guy that told him about the hood. I ALSO told him that the numbers on the engine pad did not APPEAR to match the VIN# IMHO; guess he FORGOT about THAT part of the conversation...

Again, overall I liked the car; it DOES have a great stance - the wheels/tires fit the wheelwells very well, and look great w/the eyebrow flares. If I thought that I could have gotten the car for $35K, it would be in my driveway right now. At this point, I think the seller's bottom $ is close to $38K, IMHO...
Old 03-04-2013, 03:48 PM
PreviousOwner
Instructor

@Revfan - Yeah, I've looked at the car you posted a jillion times. Probably far superior workmanship, suspension, engine, etc. AND in the same price range. I just cannot (with all due respect to the owner) get my head wrapped around the flares on his car. Definitely different. Can't say I ever seen anything quite the same. On my radar, though. Thx.

@Ganzman - You are correct. There was absolutely NO mention of a NOM in the car. Big difference between an original/numbers matching 327/350 car and a NOM 327/300. I'm not sure how much that knocks off the value though?

@LB66383 - Thank you for the offer to go take a look. Might take you up on that.

And, to the others that made observations about the grille, etc. Thanks. That's exactly the kind of thinks I need to know. 65's never were my strong point.

Keep 'em coming....

Get notified of new replies

To Potential WTB 1965 Coupe

Quick Reply: Potential WTB 1965 Coupe