C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

65 Turn signal erratic behavior

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 06:04 PM
Dave Kitch
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Default 65 Turn signal erratic behavior

I rebuilt my old switch by unscrewing the sheet metal screw that holds the upper and lower plastic plates together. I removed several of the little contact strips and reshaped them to resemble their shape and position relatve to the contacts as shown in a photo provided to me. Carefully aligned the top plate in between the contacts and installed the screw to reassemble the switch. Pushed switch back in place in steering column, tightened three screws and installed the lever. Everything is better but the following:

1) I have to hold lever hard down to get left signal (including dash light) to work. Turn signal will work with moderate down force but must hold down hard to get dash light to work.
2) Right side OK.
3) No right side brake light but turn signal works. No right brake light with everything else off.
4) Parking lights both sides OK.

Dave K.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:09 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

One filament in the brake light bulb is probably burned out. I would check that first. There might also be a poor connection. I'm sure others with more experience will chime in.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:47 PM
Dave Kitch
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by KC John
One filament in the brake light bulb is probably burned out. I would check that first. There might also be a poor connection. I'm sure others with more experience will chime in.
There are two filaments in ea bulb--one for parking lights and the other for both turnsignal and brake light.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:09 PM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

If the right turn signal works, then the bulb is OK. Try wiggling the turn signal lever with your foot on the brake pedal and see if the brake light works then. It sounds like you still have a little "adjusting" to do in the turn signal switch.

Get notified of new replies

To 65 Turn signal erratic behavior

Quick Reply: 65 Turn signal erratic behavior