C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'65 327 Gauge Oil Pressure Line Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 06:19 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

Default '65 327 Gauge Oil Pressure Line Help

Just twisted like a pretzel under the dash installing the new oil gauge pressure line.

After tightening both fittings down, the line pulls out from the top. Kind of scary that the line could just pull out when the car is running.

My understanding from the place I bought the line from was that when you tighten down the fitting it expands the copper line since no ferrule is used. What am I missing here? Thanks
Old 03-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

The oil line should not pull out if it was properly tightened. The attached thread, picture in post #6, shows the tapered end of the fitting on the tube that is compressed (crimped) around the tube when tightened into the base fitting.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...-question.html

The base fitting is only required at the block end of the line. The oil pressure gauge has a similar fitting built in to the gauge. At the gauge end, slip the tube into the tapered fitting with about 1/8 inch exposed beyond the fitting. Holding the tube and fitting in that position, thread the fitting into the back of the gauge until snug. Then use two wrenches, one holding the gauge fitting, and one to tighten the tapered fitting, crimping the taper around the tube. At the block end, install the base fitting and then follow the same procedure.

Last edited by Mike67nv; 03-22-2013 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Clarification

Quick Reply: '65 327 Gauge Oil Pressure Line Help