C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

corvette car shows

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 01:00 PM
BK N 66
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default corvette car shows

I didn't buy my car to really enter it in the car shows. I bought my car as a driver and really enjoy driving it on weekends, when the
weather is nice, etc.

but every once in a while, my other corvette friends want me to go
with them to the corvette shows. they belong to a specific corvette
club which I do not.

when I go to these shows I am amazed at how many trailer queens
there are and how political these shows are.

I have only entered about 2 shows because my friends entice me.

everyone at the show tells me how nice my car is and I am sure
to win. I have never won because I do not belong to their corvette
club. it seems the only ones that win are the ones in the club??

I guess all the shows are like this? cant believe how political they are.

anyway they want me to join their club but I really don't want to.

like I said I didn't buy my car to win trophies, but I guess if I enter
a show it is a nice bonus if u do win a trophy. I guess I just don't like
the politics. maybe I should just bite the bullet and play the game?

how do you feel about the corvette shows? do u notice the politics?
or is it just me?

like I said I had lots of people tell me I should have won as my car
was just as nice or nicer than the winner?

maybe I should just not go to these shows or not enter them and just
hang out with my friends. what do u think?

Frankie
Old 08-05-2013, 01:36 PM
OC-1
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

If you go to a car show it is to network, find and sell parts through casual conversation and check out the other cars for ideas.

What happens with judging is of absolutely no conern.

Enjoy the folks who drool over your car and take that as evidence a color change or replacement engine matters not to the larger market.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:39 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Car shows put on by a club, where the participants vote for the cars, almost always means a ratty club car will win over a non member better car.

I don't do Corvette club sponsored car shows, unless the cars are judged to criteria, like NCCC.

General streetrod shows, don't seem to have as much of this. The larger the show, the less politics and cronyism. Many shows put on by clubs have two classes, members cars and everyone elses cars, so non members don't compete agianst member cars

Doug
Old 08-05-2013, 01:41 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

The Corvette club I belong to puts on an annual car show. We have a rule that cars belonging to club members are not eligible for judging. That saves a lot problems like you're talking about.

-- Steve
Old 08-05-2013, 01:45 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Is there politics involved in some Corvette shows, sure. Pretty much anywhere that you have subjective judging, your going to have politics. It doesn't make any difference whether it's a Corvette show, a dog show, or the Olympics. It happens.

To start with, there are lots of different kinds of Corvette shows. Some are judged based on a judging sheet, some are popular vote where the general viewing public picks thier favorites, and some are voted on by the participants.

Normally, clubs running judged shows, don't allow club members cars to compete, or put them in a separate club class. Admittedly, this isn't always the case, but clubs that allow members cars into the show, and then win all the prizes, usually don't get to many entrants at their shows in the future. There are exceptions though. The NCRS for example, may often have local chapter member's cars, being judged by chapter members. The difference is that the NCRS judging sheets are very detailed, and don't really leave a lot open to individual interpretation. Also, in NCRS judging, your not competing against the other cars. All cars that meet the "standard", receive a Flight Award.

Shows voted on by the general public, are really nothing more than beauty contests. These shows are usually won by the car with the nicest display (or gaudiest), cars in bright colors and/or lots of chrome, cars that the owner has a lot of friends who come to the show, and other similar situations.

Shows where the entrants vote on the winners, are the ones where the club cars usually win all of the prizes. Joining a club, may not guarantee you a prize, even at one of these shows though. The prizes usually end up going to the cars from the clubs, that have the most cars entered.

I don't know you or your car, and I'm not trying to be mean, or belittle you or your car, but who's telling you your car is nicer, or should win? If it's the general public, and it's a judged show, then the cars your loosing to may be more correct. Things a judge sees, may not be noticeable to the general public.

If it's a show where the general public votes, the public can be quite fickle! They may tell you how much they love your bright blue car, but then forget all about it when they see the red one parked 6 cars down from you. Even in entrants choice shows, belonging to the largest club, doesn't mean you'll always win. Clubs often have cliques in them, and if there are 2 or 3 cars from a club in the same class, the vote often gets broken up.

If you really want a trophy, the easiest place to win with a Corvette, is probably a general car show. Most of the judges won't know anything about Corvettes, and there usually are fewer cars in the Corvette class.

Don't worry about the trophies, go to the shows for the fun and camaraderie, you'll probably be a lot happier in the long run!

Last edited by gbvette62; 08-05-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:00 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 381 Likes on 267 Posts

Enter the show, leave before the awards ceremony, that is what I do most of the time. A couple of weeks ago I went to a show, looked around for awhile, had a bite to eat, and left, I don't think I was there 2 hours.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:01 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You're assumptions are right on the money BK N 66.

I discovered a long time ago that I have way more fun at shows when I drive my car to the show, park in in the spectator parking lot (nearest the show cars when possible) and just enjoy the show for as long as I feel like and then go home, or go for a drive. It is fun to hang out and chat with a few of my car friends that did enter the show, for a wile, but baking in the hot sun for an all day event, and then having a poorly built rat rod win best of show, is not beneficial to my blood pressure. I do enjoy having the parking attendant try and direct me into the show entrance however. they just look so sad when I tell them I'm just here as a spectator. maybe it's because they know they'll not be getting my $40.00 entrance fee. is that mean? .

Russ
Old 08-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

I don't really care about the "car show" thing from a judging standpoint but what I do enjoy is attending the various Cruise In's and if there happened to be a car show attached to it than ok but I really don’t care if I win. As for the club thing, the networking and meeting new people is something I would enjoy but being a C2 guy these clubs seem to be loaded up with a bunch of late model Bling cars.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:12 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,558 Likes on 2,161 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Tom McCabe
Enter the show, leave before the awards ceremony, that is what I do most of the time. A couple of weeks ago I went to a show, looked around for awhile, had a bite to eat, and left, I don't think I was there 2 hours.
I just can't sit around all day just in the hopes of getting another dust collector for the garage. I enjoy looking at the cars and talking to friends.

Really, the best part of the shows for me is the drive to and from.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

The phenomenon you describe is not limited to Corvettes. You'll find this in Austin Healey clubs - people are inclined to vote for a buddy's car. Just human nature, I guess, just as it is natural for us to think our baby is cuter than anyone elses.

I go to meet new friends and learn about new sources for parts, services, etc.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:31 PM
kawils2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I belong to a Corvette Club because it gives me lots of reasons to get out & drive my car. There are day cruises, trips, autocrosses, parades, shows etc. It's a great way to meet other Corvette owners & talk Corvettes, and yes, to show them off.

Typically club dues are quite reasonable and they provide a myriad of opportunities to get out and play with other Corvette owners.

That said, since my Corvette is a C-1 there are definitely fewer people in the club to talk with about them. I thought about joining the Solid Axel Club in my area (still might) in addition to our club, but they don't seem to be a terribly active bunch.

Most car shows we put on are judged by the public that attends, so sometimes club members win, sometimes they don't. It's sort of like that old Beach Boy's song.....Be true to your School!
Old 08-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Car shows and clubs

Regarding clubs, I am of the same opinion of Groucho Marx. I would never belong to a club that would have me as a member. Jerry
Old 08-05-2013, 04:50 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 746 Likes on 243 Posts

Same with Camaro's. My buddy kept telling me to take my Camaro to Carlisle for the Maryland Camaro show because I was sure to win. So I did, 13k miles on the clock, still have all doc's, the car is a garage queen. The car on the right won judges choice with a salvaged title and the guy on left placed in the judging with a crack in his hood.

On the other hand my Z06 has won 2 trophys and I swear it's because of the car seat in the passengers side. People just think it's neat I guees.

We go to the local cruise in every week and we have seen each others cars so many times we don't even look at them anymore. It's just to get out once a week in your sweet ride and chat with friends. That is what is most enjoyable.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:05 PM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

I was in a Camaro club for many years, lots of politics but when they had a car show members were only allowed to display. I'm not in any club any more but it actually seems like most of the membership is more friendly now.
When I first bought my 62 the idea was only drive it and go to cruises. I got know a lot of nice people that was fun to be around at shows. I'm pretty much hooked on the shows and cruise now and most nice weekend I do two judged shows and two cruises.
This Sunday was special in that I met a Corvette Forum member named Stan at a Mascoutah,Il car show. I had the Camaro Z28 there. I invited him to attend a Corvette/Mustang car show in Ellis Grove,Il next Sunday.

Not sure if this will work for a picture I took of his 60, I'm starting to use Flickr instead of Photobucket because I'm running out of space.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,945 Likes on 4,784 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I do not belong to any local car club Corvette or not.

for one I do not own a C5/C6 full of mid America add ons, nor am I retired that likes to eat dinner at every early bird special buffet

all the other car shows put on by any other clubs only the senior club members win all with cars that seen better days. I am glad they drive them but they should keep them nice if you want to win a bowling trophy. also I cant win at any other show because my car is too stock looking with no bling
Old 08-05-2013, 05:14 PM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

BK 66 just post some pictures of your car on here and ask for imput and see what kind of comments you get!!
Old 08-05-2013, 05:47 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Car shows can be fun, and its a great way to meet people, hang out with other car enthusiasts, and draw others to the hobby.

But if you are concerned, it's important to understand; a) the judging criteria, b) who is doing the judging or voting, and c) who attends the event. You might also want to know who benefits financially. A charity? Or, the club's annual beer budget.

Is it a Shine and Show - any pretty car wins? Are custom or modified cars allowed? NCRS has very strict judging rules, while some clubs host car shows without any rules at all. I've seen shows that stated, No Modified Cars Allowed. But the judges weren't qualified to tell stock from modified. I think they were trying to keep out blowers and MatchBox paint jobs but it didn't work all that well, which PO'd some attendees who lost with less pizazz but stock appearing cars.

How are the judges qualified? Does the host club do the judging, and can they vote for their friends? Uh, I mean other club members. Is it a popularity contest? Do participants vote? Do attendees vote?

Are there "classes" for entry of cars? GM Class? Ford class? Pre-war class? Muscle Car Class? Just Corvettes vs Corvette? Or, just C1's vs C1's? Or, are there simple Best Of Show and Ladies Choice awards.

Is the car show part of a big festival or fair. Are the cars roped off? Is it open to the public? Limited publicity? Just by invitation? Are there a lot of families with little kids? (Expect a lot of gooey fingerprints on your car. Many parents let the kids run wild and they show no respect for the cars.)

Any credit or exemption for driven cars? I went to a Concours d'Elegance (read big $$$ pre-war exotics) where any car driven to the event, or in the parade through town on Saturday afternoon, could not have any points deducted by judges for cleanliness. Their goal was to minimize the presence of trailer queens and get these old beauties back out on the road for people to see.

A lot of people get strangely aggressive in a competition, even if the prize is just a $15 plastic trophy. Expect annoying behavior from someone.

If I like your car better than the one the judges picked, I might tell you so. But that's just my opinion, not politics. See understanding the judging criteria above.

You may find you like some car shows, but don't like others. It might be worth going to a car show to hang out with a friend you enjoy. I've come to prefer Cars & Coffees and Cruise-Ins, because I like hanging out with car people and cool cars, but I don't care for the *****-nilly judging found at most amateurish judged car shows.

Cheers,
JB

Get notified of new replies

To corvette car shows

Old 08-05-2013, 07:02 PM
jmschmit
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Corvette shows.

I think you have the wrong idea of car shows. I go to a lot of shows to let people see the car and ask questions. We meet new friends. With us, it's not about trophies. It's the hobby. Sure, nice to get a trophy but, it's a compliment, not the main reason for getting together with people. Have fun. BILL.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,945 Likes on 4,784 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jmschmit
I think you have the wrong idea of car shows. I go to a lot of shows to let people see the car and ask questions. We meet new friends. With us, it's not about trophies. It's the hobby. Sure, nice to get a trophy but, it's a compliment, not the main reason for getting together with people. Have fun. BILL.
That's what I go for. I am in my zone when people ask me about my car and what I did to it and try and teach and learn new things
Old 08-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

I usually arrive late.. pay the entry fee for the charity and leave early.

Quick Reply: corvette car shows