C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

62 steering wheel replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 12:54 AM
BILLY 63 swc
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 62 steering wheel replacement

Installing a new steering wheel and the ? I have is when clocking the wheel to the hub where does the spoke facing down fit the hub in relationship to the two roll pins on the bottom of the hub? Also has anyone used the rivet replacement kit from the Corvette vendors that use threaded bolts to replace the rivets, Not to much room to install the nuts along side the hub.
Thanks
Billy
Old 08-06-2013, 07:05 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by BILLY 63 swc
Installing a new steering wheel and the ? I have is when clocking the wheel to the hub where does the spoke facing down fit the hub in relationship to the two roll pins on the bottom of the hub?
You should be 'clocking' the wheel to the index mark on the end of the steering shaft with the wheels pointed straight ahead; however the turn signal canceling roll pins should be at the 10:00 and 8:00 positions when viewed from the driver's seat.

The steering wheel spokes should be at 10:00, 2:00 and 6:00 respectively.
The main shaft nut should be torqued to 25 ft/lbs.
Also has anyone used the rivet replacement kit from the Corvette vendors that use threaded bolts to replace the rivets, Not to much room to install the nuts along side the hub.
Thanks
Billy
Yes - however I just went to Ace Hardware and found flat headed screws, lock washers and nuts and installed them with a thin-walled deep socket straight driver and Lok-Tite.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 08-06-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:09 AM
BILLY 63 swc
Racer

Thanks for the info Frankie, The hub has no room on the back side to put a nut on the six steering wheel screws unless I grind off a small area to allow the nut to set flush when torqued down. Are there more than one type of hub on the C1s? I will pay a visit to the local fastener store tomorrow to get the screws you have suggested.
Thanks
Billy
Old 08-07-2013, 06:49 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Find the smallest screw/nut combo you can with a nut that will fit all the way down in the 'well' of the hub. It doesn't even need to be able to turn at all..just has to sit flat down inside the piece.

Then, what I did was get a long socket and straight driver on the nuts down in the hub and just '****' the tool on the nut to hold it tightly and use the screw on the OTHER side to torque things down. I'll bet you could even put a flat screwdriver down in there to jam the nut while you tighten the screw. More than one way to skin a cat.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 08-07-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:51 AM
BILLY 63 swc
Racer

Thanks Frankie, will do.
Billy

Get notified of new replies

To 62 steering wheel replacement

Quick Reply: 62 steering wheel replacement