C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Motor Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 09:49 AM
Vern Harrington
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Swap

Does anyone have any info on installing a 572 into a C2? I have heard that there is a problem but not sure what it is why they say it will not fit. Is it mounts or height of the engine to clear the hood. Car is a 66 coupe with a BB still in it.
Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-14-2013, 09:58 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

It will fit no problem. You will just have to get custom headers made for it and make sure you get a low intake and air cleaner. Do a search for a 67 named king ray. That car was in Corvete Fever years ago and it had a 572 with factory AC
Old 09-14-2013, 10:50 AM
Vern Harrington
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Swap

Thanks for the info I will be looking up the king ray. You talked about headers now are they different than regular headers for a BB. Now mcjacks corvettes make a header that are short that is a replacement for manifolds that I hope will go into the stock position for side exhaust to mount up correctly.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:10 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

The 572 is a tall deck block so you will need custom headers and exhaust made I don't think any aftermarket company's make any thing for them
Old 09-14-2013, 01:18 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Several of us here know the guy that built King Ray. RIP.

From what I remember, regular BB headers had to be modified, I believe there was a hood clearance problem that required cutting part of a hood brace out, and interference between the left valve cover and the brake booster or master cylinder or both.

I think there were some other fit issues as well. Just been too long ago to remember.

It was not a plug and play.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:17 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

As Mike noted, several of us had the distinct pleasure of not only assisting in the build of King Ray, but driving it as well before Jerry Clark (the owner/builder) passed away; 620hp and a Tremec was a great formula.

Stainless works built the headers, and it took three attempts due to the geometry changes required by the tall-deck block.
Attached Images    
Old 09-14-2013, 03:28 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
As Mike noted, several of us had the distinct pleasure of not only assisting in the build of King Ray, but driving it as well before Jerry Clark (the owner/builder) passed away; 620hp and a Tremec was a great formula.

Stainless works built the headers, and it took three attempts due to the geometry changes required by the tall-deck block.
Wow, now that's a BIG block......
Old 09-14-2013, 05:55 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

Fantastic installation! Was wondering about the 3x2 manifold. I didn't see anything in the pictures that looked like spacers. You'd also need a correctly sized intake manifold to fit the tall deck block or spacers for a stock L71 manifold.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:02 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Avispa
Fantastic installation! Was wondering about the 3x2 manifold. I didn't see anything in the pictures that looked like spacers. You'd also need a correctly sized intake manifold to fit the tall deck block or spacers for a stock L71 manifold.
I used to know the story on that. I just forgot. If I remember right, the higher intake jacked the distributor up and caused a problem with body interference. Just can't remember.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:14 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Avispa
It used Moroso spacers and a stock L71 manifold; the edges of the spacers were milled flush with the outline of the manifold all the way around, and you can't see them unless you really look for them; check out the photo below. The tall-deck block created a problem with the length of the stock distributor housing, so an MSD distributor with an adjustable flange was used instead.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Motor Swap

Quick Reply: Motor Swap