C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

"OT" floor jacks

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 11:03 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default "OT" floor jacks

I am shopping for a new floor jack due to the Chinese made Sears unit failing. I need the low profile unit to get under the sidepipes on the car and I am going to go with Aluminum due to the weight of the others. I found an OTC unit on Amazon that fits my needs. It is USA made and has a lifetime warranty. Has anyone had any experience ordering from Amazon? Never tried ordering from them before and am unsure how they are to deal with and how they handle returns, if one is needed. Thanks for any help.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:07 AM
decarmine
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 66BlkBB
I am shopping for a new floor jack due to the Chinese made Sears unit failing. I need the low profile unit to get under the sidepipes on the car and I am going to go with Aluminum due to the weight of the others. I found an OTC unit on Amazon that fits my needs. It is USA made and has a lifetime warranty. Has anyone had any experience ordering from Amazon? Never tried ordering from them before and am unsure how they are to deal with and how they handle returns, if one is needed. Thanks for any help.
Very, very easy to work with. Returns just take a phone call, they send (via email) prepaid UPS vouchers...
Old 11-25-2013, 11:08 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by decarmine
Very, very easy to work with. Returns just take a phone call, they send prepaid UPS vouchers...

Thanks. But I just read that the jack that I was looking at was made in China. I thought all OTC stuff was made here but no so!!!!!!!
Old 11-25-2013, 11:51 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 842 Likes on 458 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

How did your jack fail? I bought one of the Sears aluminum jacks about 8 years ago. I do not know if it was made in China, but the hydraulic cylinder O-ring failed after about two years. The seal was not available from Sears, if fact the jack was not even listed in their repair parts list. I took the old seal down to a local hardware and got the closest match I could fine. The jack has been working fine for the last six years.

Charles
Old 11-25-2013, 12:01 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,284 Likes on 822 Posts

USA made is getting very hard to find.
The old Lincoln W93642, 2 ton is a very good floor jack rated for commercial use and all parts are available to rebuild if ever needed.
Another high quality 2 ton with a lower entry height is the Compac, made in Denmark OLE 46. I can't say if either of these are available new today but if available they would be $500 not 89.00. Like you, I started with the cheap ones and traded up. The cheap ones have limited life spans.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:04 PM
Jalopy31
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Although not made of aluminum, I bought this Hein Warner floor jack last year and have been very pleased with it. It is US-made and of great quality:

http://www.shinnfuamerica.com/Produc...ks/HW93642/522

Todd
Old 11-25-2013, 12:55 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,284 Likes on 822 Posts

I am out of date, it looks like Hein Warner is the former Lincoln jack. Note from 2007.

"
Catalog > Manufacturers > Hein Werner
Hein Werner a trusted name in Automotive Lifting Equipment is back. Brought back to the marketplace by SFA Company. The Hein Werner line offers quality products made in the USA and North America. The Hein Werner product line is a combination of equipment once manufacured by both Hein Werner and Lincoln/Walker. The new color of the Hein Werner line carries forward the the Lincoln/Walker color of blue and gold. "
Old 11-25-2013, 02:57 PM
dhutton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jalopy31
Although not made of aluminum, I bought this Hein Warner floor jack last year and have been very pleased with it. It is US-made and of great quality:

http://www.shinnfuamerica.com/Produc...ks/HW93642/522

Todd
X2. I bought one of these and it works great. No o-rings to fail. Uses real pistion rings as far as I know.

Don
Old 11-25-2013, 03:28 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

I dunno where in Minn you are, but you could always see what is around you... local
Craigslist Jacks
Old 11-25-2013, 03:59 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,008 Posts

I have one of those orange 2 1/2 ton floor jacks that was made in china that I bought in 1990 and it still works just fine.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

This is what I use from Northern Tools:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5429_200345429

It has extra high lift (over 21") is low profile, rapid pump with double pistons - I don't have a lift so I use the snot out of this one and love it. I had one of those Wally Mart jacks blow the seals out a year or so ago and dump my 61 on the ground - luckily the tires were on it and I was NOT under it (I use jack stands anyway).
Old 11-25-2013, 05:19 PM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

It has extra high lift (over 21") is low profile, rapid pump with double pistons - I don't have a lift so I use the snot out of this one and love it. I had one of those Wally Mart jacks blow the seals out a year or so ago and dump my 61 on the ground - luckily the tires were on it and I was NOT under it (I use jack stands anyway).

Frankie,

That is a good jack. I do have an old Sears unit. I've had it for 30 years I think and it still works great. Problem is that it will not slide under the side pipes on my car. That was why I bought the low profile, aluminum jack. On top of that it is so damn heavy, like yours, it is tough to muscle around. I'm getting to old for that.

Steve
Old 11-25-2013, 05:21 PM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cbernhardt
How did your jack fail? I bought one of the Sears aluminum jacks about 8 years ago. I do not know if it was made in China, but the hydraulic cylinder O-ring failed after about two years. The seal was not available from Sears, if fact the jack was not even listed in their repair parts list. I took the old seal down to a local hardware and got the closest match I could fine. The jack has been working fine for the last six years.

Charles

Mine failed the same way yours did. I just cannibalized it. I did a lot of checking with Sears and other places, just looking for a new cylinder for it. Couldn't find anything. Felt it was better just to get rid of it.

Steve
Old 11-25-2013, 05:23 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Westlotorn
I am out of date, it looks like Hein Warner is the former Lincoln jack. Note from 2007.

"
Catalog > Manufacturers > Hein Werner
Hein Werner a trusted name in Automotive Lifting Equipment is back. Brought back to the marketplace by SFA Company. The Hein Werner line offers quality products made in the USA and North America. The Hein Werner product line is a combination of equipment once manufacured by both Hein Werner and Lincoln/Walker. The new color of the Hein Werner line carries forward the the Lincoln/Walker color of blue and gold. "
That particular jack has been around for probably 50 years and will never go out of date. Started out as Walker, then Lincoln, and now Hein-Warner. I have one myself. Parts will probably be available forever. Just about every garage in the country had one at one time.

My other two jacks are an old Blackhawk jack (about 50 years old) and a more recent Sears aluminum jack. The aluminum jack is good for smaller things.

The Blackhawk jack and the Walker (et.al) will securely lift just about anything you need.

Larry
Old 11-25-2013, 07:14 PM
skids
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

Buy a Milwaukee jack, and be done with it.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:02 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I use a old orange Hein-Warner from the seventies and a Sears jack from the same time period that was made in Japan. The Sears jack is a nice piece however the Hein-Warner is even better. Here is a current Hein-Warner at a decent price, but it is heavy.

http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDi...&kw=HEIHW93642

Old 11-25-2013, 09:18 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

I agree ...one of the best buys on a jack these days. I bought one then another 6 months later. Heavy...but rock steady and low profile!

Stan..
Old 11-25-2013, 11:31 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

use the larger Harbor freight low profile aluminum one. Lasted over 7 yrs lifted bodies off, motor/trans combos etc lots of use

Just last week it didnt want to seem to pump up anymore. Feel I got my moneys worth but its full of fluid.

Is that a seal or?
Old 11-26-2013, 12:45 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,964 Likes on 892 Posts

Default Floor Jack

I purchased an old Walker jack off Craig's list.

I paid $50.00 for it because it would immediately bleed down when you tried to jack anything up.

I purchased a rebuild kit (another $50.00), and rebuilt it myself.

The jack works perfect! American made and doesn't drop a bit, even after being under a load for a few days.

Rolls around much better than any other Chinese jack I have owned.

Do yourself a favor, hold out until you find an old Walker, or Lincoln jack,

Get notified of new replies

To "OT" floor jacks

Quick Reply: "OT" floor jacks