C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Mid year coupe value with reassigned vin #

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 04:14 AM
corcam
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Mid year coupe value with reassigned vin #

I have came across a nice 66 midyear coupe L/79 with a/c and matching numbers, car has some documentation and has been owned by the same person several years who is considering selling and price not yet established but when the car was only a few years old it was stolen but returned intact and was given a reassigned VIN # in place of the factory VIN under the dash. I am wondering how much the situation hurts the value as I believe he is going to ask in the mid fifties for it but no way is it close to that in my opinion with the different vin plate. Curious if anyone has ever had a similar experience or opinion on this.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:11 AM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

If that car is in NC and priced at $54,900 its a nice car but the reassigned VIN in my opinion kills it..
Old 12-03-2013, 06:26 AM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

If you are going to keep it forever I wouldnt worry about it, but if you are going to sell it in the next couple years I would pass.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/4207785174.html

Here is the one in NC doesnt look like an air car.

Last edited by Bowtyeguy; 12-03-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:35 AM
SledgeHammer 2.0
Drifting

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

The title is labled "Reconstructed",
I doubt if that's the car, it's not an L79 and a reconstructed title should be different that a reassigned VIN title.

but when the car was only a few years old it was stolen but returned intact and was given a reassigned VIN # in place of the factory VIN under the dash.
Yea Yea, that's the story... It was accidentally taken by a grandma at the grocery store when she mistook it for her station wagon...

I am with Hitch... That reassigned VIN makes it good for a restomod but devastates the value for a regular or #'s matching consumer.

I wonder how he documents it as numbers matching when the VIN number doesn't even match anymore?

Last edited by SledgeHammer 2.0; 12-03-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:59 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by Pugly
I doubt if that's the car, it's not an L79 and a reconstructed title should be different that a reassigned VIN title.

Yea Yea, that's the story... It was accidentally taken by a grandma at the grocery store when she mistook it for her station wagon...

I am with Hitch... That reassigned VIN makes it good for a restomod but devastates the value for a regular or #'s matching consumer.

I wonder how he documents it as numbers matching when the VIN number doesn't even match anymore?

Wouldn't he be able to verify with the VIN stamped on the FRAME?
Old 12-03-2013, 09:10 AM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by corcam
I have came across a nice 66 midyear coupe L/79 with a/c and matching numbers, car has some documentation and has been owned by the same person several years who is considering selling and price not yet established but when the car was only a few years old it was stolen but returned intact and was given a reassigned VIN # in place of the factory VIN under the dash. I am wondering how much the situation hurts the value as I believe he is going to ask in the mid fifties for it but no way is it close to that in my opinion with the different vin plate. Curious if anyone has ever had a similar experience or opinion on this.
What is on the title?
Old 12-03-2013, 09:17 AM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

OP stated "matching numbers, car has some documentation" - have you checked the above for accuracy??? What "kind" of documentation does the owner have????

Would check VIN on frame as mentioned before moving forward
Old 12-03-2013, 10:27 AM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

If you're willing to pay mid 50's, move on and find another without issues.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:10 AM
pullin-gs
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ifitgoesfast
Indeed.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:19 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by ifitgoesfast

Too many cars available out there. I would not buy the car unless I was going to make it a restomod and got it for half price.

Pass.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

This is an example of not putting good money into a car that won't give you the return.

The owner (or restorer) of this car put just as much time and effort and parts and money into this car, as they would have into any other car with a legit vin/title. They may have told themselves, "it doesn't matter about the value, because I am never going to sell it".

Well, fast forward to "now". He is selling, and wants the same price as a car without the dubious history would want.

Something's gotta give...
Old 12-03-2013, 12:36 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Revfan
This is an example of not putting good money into a car that won't give you the return.

The owner (or restorer) of this car put just as much time and effort and parts and money into this car, as they would have into any other car with a legit vin/title. They may have told themselves, "it doesn't matter about the value, because I am never going to sell it".

Well, fast forward to "now". He is selling, and wants the same price as a car without the dubious history would want.

Something's gotta give...

Can't tell you how many times I have said, I am never going to sell it. Right up to the point I sold it.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Originally Posted by corcam
You answered your own question, and I agree. Your buyers will be thinking the same thing. While there's nothing wrong with it, VIN and TRIM plates seem to mean the world on these cars.

Get notified of new replies

To Mid year coupe value with reassigned vin #

Quick Reply: Mid year coupe value with reassigned vin #