C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 expert

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 04:38 PM
xseal
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C2 expert

Would appreciate leads/recommendations on someone that could help locate/advise vette rookie on C2 search and purchase.

If it matters, I'm in DC/NVa area.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:40 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 7,069 Likes on 4,858 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

here is a shop that does great resto work on Corvettes

http://www.tonyscorvetteshop.com/index.aspx

there are other people around as well
Old 01-15-2014, 05:18 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 287 Likes on 173 Posts

You may also want to reach out to your local NCRS chapter and go to a meeting or two. Maybe even join if you're so inclined (don't have to), but I'm sure there is someone that would have you out.

There is also a great wealth of knowledge here on the forum. While some of us shy away from the "what's it worth" topic, there are many that can provide you an honest opinion on one as long as you have pictures available to check out.

When you get down to the knitty gritty though, it's best to have an expert check it our first hand. You will probably have to pay them a nominal fee for their time/expenses, etc. But you may get lucky and someone can check one out first hand without asking for a dime.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:48 PM
xseal
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by bluestreak63
You may also want to reach out to your local NCRS chapter and go to a meeting or two. Maybe even join if you're so inclined (don't have to), but I'm sure there is someone that would have you out.

There is also a great wealth of knowledge here on the forum. While some of us shy away from the "what's it worth" topic, there are many that can provide you an honest opinion on one as long as you have pictures available to check out.

When you get down to the knitty gritty though, it's best to have an expert check it our first hand. You will probably have to pay them a nominal fee for their time/expenses, etc. But you may get lucky and someone can check one out first hand without asking for a dime.
Thx guys. Good tips and I'm happy to pay for the help.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:01 PM
dharris45
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

I also live in Northern VA (Fairfax County). I have a 66 Coupe and recently sold a 1960 that I restored over the last 3 1/2 years. I am starting restoration of my 66 in the next couple of months.

I not an expert, but am reasonably knowledgeable about C2s, in particular 66s. I have been looking for a 66 or 67 convertible for the last 6 months to replace my 1960. The really good cars that I have been interested in have been priced way beyond what I would consider realistic market pricing. But I am being very particular in my search.

It is wise to get help if you are purchasing a car, particularly if you are paying a premium price. There are lots of things that take some experience to assess. E.g. assessing the engine (block casting, casting date, engine pad), Trim Tag, Vin Tag, condition of the birdcage, condition of the frame. Transmission, rear end. A.O. Smith versus St. Louis body and issue related to minor differences in the bodies. Other things like correct carb and carb dating. on and on and on.

If you want to discuss at some point, PM or email me with a phone number and I would be happy to share some of what I've learned.

I am also a member of the Mid-Atlantic Chapter of the NCRS and would second the recommendation that if you are interested in being involved with the NCRS then I can also give you some guidance.

Don Harris

Last edited by dharris45; 01-15-2014 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:19 PM
ntest
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I live in Fairfax and would be happy to provide insight. I own a 66 convertible (non matching numbers driver). I'd suggest that you first consider what you might want, i.e. driver, matching numbers, show car, big block, small block, etc. Use the forum as a resource and take into consideration all of the information and knowledge. Good Luck!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:26 PM
Bill Lacy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Chuck Berge, Master Judge NCRS, Haymarket Virginia PH# 703 754 1960
Old 01-15-2014, 08:45 PM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

I am in fairfax station and I have a 67 vert...swapped out all mechanicals and like tinkering. Happy to help anyway I can.

Frank
Old 01-19-2014, 08:45 PM
xseal
3rd Gear

Thanks guys. Will pm in a week or so

Get notified of new replies

To C2 expert

Quick Reply: C2 expert