C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Electronic ignition/LED tail lights opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 04:02 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 7,016 Likes on 4,820 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Rakkasan
Performance and reliability. Again, I wasn't asking for a debate. I asked is if anyone has had a problem with them and so far no one has.

As always I appreciate the input.
Yes they have. There have been many of threads on why someone's new fancy widget let them sit. Do a search. Also someone on here said not to use a brand coil.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:12 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
So mike why did they? And you know I an on your side
Simple- the crudely controlled mid '70s smog engines had incredibly lean fuel mixtures that would occasionally misfire with the standard 0.035" plug gaps of the day. A larger gap (initially 0.060", then scaled back to 0.045") helped with the problem but required a higher discharge energy source to reliably inonize that gap. That's the 'HE' in 'HEI'.

An separate but concurrent requirement from the EPA was that engines would not bust pollution limits for extended periods of time and usage. Since Joe Average couldn't be forced to check the dwell at regular interval, an electronic switching device was incorporated in lieu of the traditional mechanical switch.

None of the above 'technological advances' makes one bit of difference on a C2 engine other than relieving an owner of measuring and adjusting dwell every now and then.

The OP would do well to review the archives for the track record of pertronix units and flamethrower coils before whipping out his wallet.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:11 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Mike that's a good history lesson and good to know. I feel we could start the CF mythbuster team
Old 02-02-2014, 05:20 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Put in an MSD Blaster II coil (#8202), paint it black if you prefer and the Pertronx III module (you don't need to pull the distributor) and drive on. I did the swap in about 20 minutes on my split window coupe last month. Run 'em for 25 years in 8 cars and never a hiccup....and my cars are driven...
Old 02-02-2014, 05:33 PM
Diablo427
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a Pertronix Ignitor and Flamethrower coil in my 67 as of last summer and I just love it. Everything works so well. I realize that the stuff that was in there was about 7 years old and had sat for most of that time. I just know that when I got the Pertronix in it and the timing set well, it really started running much better. May have nothing to do with the Pertronix, but if I had another non electronic ignition car, I would put a Pertronix in it in a heartbeat. YMMV

Last edited by Diablo427; 02-02-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:38 PM
Rakkasan
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Simple- the crudely controlled mid '70s smog engines had incredibly lean fuel mixtures that would occasionally misfire with the standard 0.035" plug gaps of the day. A larger gap (initially 0.060", then scaled back to 0.045") helped with the problem but required a higher discharge energy source to reliably inonize that gap. That's the 'HE' in 'HEI'.

An separate but concurrent requirement from the EPA was that engines would not bust pollution limits for extended periods of time and usage. Since Joe Average couldn't be forced to check the dwell at regular interval, an electronic switching device was incorporated in lieu of the traditional mechanical switch.

None of the above 'technological advances' makes one bit of difference on a C2 engine other than relieving an owner of measuring and adjusting dwell every now and then.

The OP would do well to review the archives for the track record of pertronix units and flamethrower coils before whipping out his wallet.
Jeez man. I did do a search and also found it to be a mixed bag depending on a plethora of factors from where the products were made to how the coils were mounted.

I do want to say you come across as a very knowledgable person whose opinion anyone, including myself, would seek out and value. Unfortunately you also coming across as arrogant and dismissive which is neither valued nor appreciated. People ask questions because they want answers and opinions, not a lecture on why their question or thoughts are stupid.

Again, thank you for your input.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:53 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rakkasan
Unfortunately you also coming across as arrogant and dismissive which is neither valued nor appreciated.
This balances out those with a hard head that have 'all the answers' even before they ask the question- and don't want to hear anything different.

It's also considered rude on most forums to tell people 'go do a search' even though the exact same question has been asked and answered in excruciating detail many times before, as you've found.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:12 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

With out doing a search you are only getting a very small amount of coverage of a problem. Only a hand full of people responded to this thread with their point of view. By doing a search you can see years of threads by other people who are not reading this thread today.

Both camps on this subject have very good points to help both sides. But one side isn't going to go to the other side to help them. If you get my drift. We are all here to help and learn And so fair no one has come up with solid numbers to convince me that the new widgets are better then stock system that is working and new all on here come on saying that there old and wore out ign system is bad so they up grade. To new widgets. Of coarse something new will out perform something wore out.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:27 PM
Rakkasan
Racer

This balances out those with a hard head that have 'all the answers' even before they ask the question- and don't want to hear anything different.

It's also considered rude on most forums to tell people 'go do a search' even though the exact same question has been asked and answered in excruciating detail many times before, as you've found.
You are arrogant I'll give you that. You're also a couple of other things but I'm not in the mood to give an anatomy lesson. Since you have nothing to offer except churlish insults your input will no longer be welcome. Say hello to my ignore list skippy.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:48 PM
Rakkasan
Racer

With out doing a search you are only getting a very small amount of coverage of a problem. Only a hand full of people responded to this thread with their point of view. By doing a search you can see years of threads by other people who are not reading this thread today.

Both camps on this subject have very good points to help both sides. But one side isn't going to go to the other side to help them. If you get my drift. We are all here to help and learn And so fair no one has come up with solid numbers to convince me that the new widgets are better then stock system that is working and new all on here come on saying that there old and wore out ign system is bad so they up grade. To new widgets. Of coarse something new will out perform something wore out.
I don't know how many times I need to say that I've done a search. Yes, I did do a search and learned quite a bit including the reasons the flame thrower coil fails from over heating to improper mounting. I also learned a lot of C 2 owners used the pertronix igniter III with great success, but warned that the products should be made in the USA rather than China since those are more prone to fail.

Yes, a lot of people here are here to learn and help, but that arrogant crap Mike was throwing out wasn't helpful. I hope he's not like that in person. I've seen this go on in other threads as well, especially with the newer corvette owners where they'll ask a simple question, and someone starts trashing it. What would be helpful is for those who are the "We've had this discussion over and over. Do a search" people to stay out of those threads if it bothers them so much, and let the legitimate people who truly want to help, and offer suggestions do it.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:55 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I don't mind repeating my self about the same question being asked all the time. But you have a advantage by searching becouse you see years of people's response. By not searching you are only the mercy of the people who see the tread
Old 02-02-2014, 08:20 PM
Rakkasan
Racer

I don't mind repeating my self about the same question being asked all the time. But you have a advantage by searching becouse you see years of people's response. By not searching you are only the mercy of the people who see the tread
Is it a forum rule that before a poster asks a question they must be sure no one has ever asked that question on that particular topic before by sifting through years of discussion threads? I think I know what you're saying and again, I DID A SEARCH, but that seems rather unrealistic and defeats the purpose of a discussion forum in my opinion. This is a general discussion forum and posters shouldn't be at the mercy of those who take it upon themselves to dictate what will or will not be discussed.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:16 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 778 Likes on 557 Posts

This must be the one of the most frequently thrashed subjects. Contrary to common belief, neither of the components you're determined to change will result in an actual (not theoretical) increase in energy output. The plugs will fire at the same voltage as they always have............

Why not put your time into finding out what's broken instead of throwing parts at it. Your symptoms could just as easily be carb or vacuum related.............
Actually, that's not correct. The energy level could go up, down, or sideways when swapping out those parts. Without knowing the details of each system it's pretty much just a flip of the coin as to which way it will go.

There's an Ignition sticky in C3 Tech that explains all this.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:29 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by 69427
Actually, that's not correct. The energy level could go up, down, or sideways when swapping out those parts. Without knowing the details of each system it's pretty much just a flip of the coin as to which way it will go.
You're right come to think of it. 'New fangled' isn't always 'more'.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:35 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I put a first design Pertronix in my 62 985 distributor about 20 years ago using the original GM coil. I pop the cap every year and make sure the screws are tight and then drive on.
A great, reliable ignition improvement.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:38 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

When you really drill down in to the presumption of the failures of the Ignitor systems I've found in most cases it was:

a) the FlameThrower coil,
b) improper installation, and,
c) somebody left their key in the ON position too long with the engine not running.

Item a) is why I recommend the MSD coil, b) can still happen if you are a dufus, and, c) the newer Ignitors are much less prone to burning up with the key ON.

When I put them in cars, they run better, my testosterone levels go up, I become more attractive to women and I get a pay raise at work.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:38 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I put a first design Pertronix in my 62 985 distributor about 20 years ago using the original GM coil. I think I got the first unit for a GM dual point distributor as I had to wait a few months until it was available.
I pop the cap every year and make sure the screws are tight and then drive on.

Get notified of new replies

To Electronic ignition/LED tail lights opinions wanted

Old 02-02-2014, 09:40 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

When I put them in cars, they run better, my testosterone levels go up, I become more attractive to women and I get a pay raise at work.
That's it I'm buying two of them.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:58 PM
Rakkasan
Racer

Originally Posted by ohiovet
I put a first design Pertronix in my 62 985 distributor about 20 years ago using the original GM coil. I pop the cap every year and make sure the screws are tight and then drive on.
But I'm sure 20 years ago they were made in the USA, and now I'm afraid they're made in China which I will not use. I learned my lesson with carb rebuild parts for my model A.

I have read enough bad to convince me to stay away from the flame thrower coil. As for now I'll probably just replace the cap, rotor, and wires since all three look like they could stand to be replaced.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:21 AM
Thorson
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

This won't help with your original question, but you should know that the two main responders have probably never used any Pertronix products.
Doubtful that either one owns a C1 or C2 corvette.
Unfortunately if you post a question with "NCRS, ethanol or Pertronix , you will have the Canadian King of Condescension to deal with.
Also, those tag words and really anything else, will get you a barely literate, pidgin English talking NCRS judge to deal with.
I know you searched before you posted but I bet you wish you didn't ask at all.
Been there.

Quick Reply: Electronic ignition/LED tail lights opinions wanted