C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1963 SWC Engine and transmission install

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 11:13 AM
jackson 63
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1963 SWC Engine and transmission install

When I took out my engine and transmission as one unit, I had a difficult time due to my 4 speed shifter being hard to remove from the transmission. I am getting ready to install the eng and transmission now. Any suggestions that would make the process a little easier. I have nightmares thinking about putting the shifter on with the transmission and engine in the car. Would it work better to put just the transmission and shifter in and then the engine?
Thanks.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:35 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Originally Posted by jackson 63
When I took out my engine and transmission as one unit, I had a difficult time due to my 4 speed shifter being hard to remove from the transmission. I am getting ready to install the eng and transmission now. Any suggestions that would make the process a little easier. I have nightmares thinking about putting the shifter on with the transmission and engine in the car. Would it work better to put just the transmission and shifter in and then the engine?
Thanks.
I suspect the exhaust pipes are your main problem. Not knowing the condition of the pipes, can you remove the first section? Trying to line up the main shaft and the pilot bushing with the trans in the car can be unbelievably frustrating. My choice would be the engine/trans as one unit and just work the shifter as necessary hopefully with the front section of pipe removed. Also it might help if you do a test fit of the shifter on the trans before the installation. Dennis
Old 02-06-2014, 01:30 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,621 Likes on 1,953 Posts

The shifter removal/installation is a little tedious and the comment about undercar exhaust in the way is a good one. Don't know of any real options though. Just not enough room for that transmission alone to be installed - or an engine/transmission together - with a shifter attached.

Get notified of new replies

To 1963 SWC Engine and transmission install

Quick Reply: 1963 SWC Engine and transmission install