C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Spare tire lock

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 05:02 PM
Darryl Dodd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare tire lock

I recently got all new locks and for the first time in 23 years I have a spare tire lock. With it installed on the bolt I can still wiggle the bolt out of the cover. I don't think vibration from driving down the road could wiggle it loose but someone could certainly still the spare tire if they wanted to.

I have the lock in the slot between the head of the bolt and the washer/collar part and its clocked north/south in the recessed area of the V strap.

Am I installing it wrong?
Old 02-25-2014, 05:09 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,233 Likes on 2,310 Posts

Sounds like you don't have the bolt tight enough. (assuming you have a C2, it doesn't say)
Old 02-25-2014, 05:26 PM
Darryl Dodd
Advanced

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Sounds like you don't have the bolt tight enough. (assuming you have a C2, it doesn't say)
Sorry, it is a C2. (64) and your right, I left the bolt a little long because the spare tire is a new whitewall. I left it loose so the whitewall wouldn't chaff on the top. So if I have it installed correctly and the bolt is just not tight enough, any suggestions on how to tighten it and still protect the whitewall?
Old 02-25-2014, 05:56 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,233 Likes on 2,310 Posts

Seems to me like it would "chafe" more rattling around loose than if it were tight against the holder where it couldn't move. Maybe place a thin piece of material over it? Possibly plastic? I've never really seen it cause a problem when tight. There's usually a ridge around the whitewall that would keep it from touching.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:00 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

I just put an S-10 compact spare in the tire tub on my '63 coupe. It lets the spare tire cover tighten all the way and the lock works just fine. Actually, it may be a little too loose but nothing seems to rattle around. That spare will get me home in a pinch but I have positraction on the rear so I might have to make two tire changes in an emergency if I have a flat in the rear. I have AAA+ so I haven't changed a tire due to a flat in decades.

On the other hand I'm not sure I see the issue with a scuffed up whitewall inside an enclosed container when it will only see the light of day in an emergency - and, in that circumstance, who gives a flying you-know-what if its not lily white ?? When you're done with it, hit it with some Wesley's BleachWhite and a scratchy pad and it'll look like new.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-25-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:02 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

If it's chaffed, no one will steal it.

Put a piece of plastic over it and tighten it up.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:47 PM
Darryl Dodd
Advanced

The spare is a whitewall because I wanted to include it in the tire rotation. Probably not my best idea. Coker said they damage very easily.

I'll use Reynold's wax paper or plastic wrap and hope for the best. And I'll just deal with it if theres any damage.

Get notified of new replies

To Spare tire lock

Quick Reply: Spare tire lock