C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

My New to me 64 with an AC question

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 08:03 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by C2Racer
Okay, got a new power window switch with the car wonder why..... But that only solved the intermittent drivers side and didn't solve the passenger side. So off with the door panel and found lose wires so next need to rip the motor out and clean everything up. Wished I had a manual! But the forum is the next best thing. Found the original silver paint overspray behind the panel.

Car idles terrible and now I know why, I am guessing the fuel injection unit that was on it was recently taken off because the carb was lose to the manifold and one open vacuum fitting. So got it idling better but still too rick. I do have a manual for the carb so after the windows. In a few hours it will be much better.........
Like racing…..slow down ……take a breath……and then go fast.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:46 AM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 234 Posts

Thanks Jim and yes, fatigue did slow me down early last night. Got both doors working, washed and waxed, adjusted carb and started on a coolant leak. But the major deal for me is the sound of the exhaust....its got IT. The sound of a hopped up SBC with a lopey cam is something I haven't owned since high school. It's just the way I was hoping it would sound even with a stock looking exhaust system. I let it idle in the garage with rain falling full tilt outside for quite a while. We compared the cam specs in the car to a stock one and its even a hair here or there a little milder. So I see a cam change in my future since there are so many choices today. But that will be Thursday
Attached Images  

Last edited by C2Racer; 04-07-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:34 PM
jkuzzy
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

Here is my 64 with headers, chambered, and cam:
Old 04-07-2014, 07:29 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by jkuzzy
Here is my 64 with headers, chambered, and cam
Yep, that's IT! What brand exhaust is that as mine is on its last legs. Probably why it sounds so good
Old 04-08-2014, 10:46 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

You may have ''OFF ROAD'' exhaust mufflers.

Before you go changing camshafts lets look at the engine pad stamp and confirm its the original block in the car.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:53 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Jim,

The engine is original to the car with the VIN on the engine pad. Question though, my car does not have the rear fresh air fan. Was that deleted for cars with AC? My car is an early build confirmed by the 63 type controls on the heater box.

Thanks
Steve
Old 04-08-2014, 02:12 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by C2Racer
Jim,

The engine is original to the car with the VIN on the engine pad. Question though, my car does not have the rear fresh air fan. Was that deleted for cars with AC? My car is an early build confirmed by the 63 type controls on the heater box.

Thanks
Steve
The rear exhaust fan was used on all '64 coupes, A/C or non-A/C; it was only deleted on coupes with the N03 36-gallon fuel tank.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:15 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohnZ
The rear exhaust fan was used on all '64 coupes, A/C or non-A/C; it was only deleted on coupes with the N03 36-gallon fuel tank.
Okay, that got me looking. The fan is there behind the carpet panel but no trim for it and there are no controls under the dash for it either. Thanks John
Old 04-08-2014, 04:21 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

Steve

The control is a pull ****, like a vent ****, underneath the dash on the left side of the steering wheel. On an A/c car, only one on the under dash vents work, if I remember correctly

The blower **** attached to a beldin cable which connects to the rear blower motor. It is a bear to pull/push

Let me know if you need more info

Ralph
Old 04-09-2014, 10:10 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Thanks Ralph,

I got tied up trying to get the car ready for its safety inspection which is required in Texas for new cars to the state. So that meant I had to pull the wiper motor apart to get the wipers to stop and park after I got them to run. Just old dried up grease had the mechanism stuck. Then set the float level on the Holley as it was flooding the car. Set the timing also but going to need some jets to get this carb leaned out some more. But for now it's running a lot better. Still plenty of projects on a car that has been sitting for a while it seems.

Steve
Old 05-11-2014, 10:24 AM
C2Racer
Drifting

I thought I would give everyone one last update on the new car. First early morning out after a lot of maintenance and it's finally running like it should. Been through the car top to bottom, rebuilt the carb, pulled some really bad looking plugs(running on 7 cylinders) took out pretty much water for oil and stopped the blue smoke issue and you name it for poor mechanical repairs. Even the front end ball joints were not tight!?

The good news is that it's a solid car with no rust. The frame does need a paint job but I am convinced it is a 50 year old car with 78,500 miles. That's pretty cool in my world.

Lots of upgrades planned but had to know what I had first. AC back on is high up after first pulling the gear box for a noisy bearing and a shift shaft leak fix. Clutch is pretty stiff so back to stock also.

This is my idea of fun! Kind of strange I know but after 30+ years of Porsche's it is really nice to have a car I can work on in my garage without having to drop the motor to do almost anything.

Steve
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: My New to me 64 with an AC question