C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Fan Spacer Kit Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 08:04 AM
cdrag264
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fan Spacer Kit Install

I have been having some engine cooling problems with my '64 coupe. I realized that my fan needs to be forward about 1/2 inch more into the shroud (1/2 in the shroud and 1/2 out). When I went to install the spacer, there isn't enough room to get the longer bolts thru the fan clutch to attach that plus the spacer to the water pump. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:09 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,944 Likes on 4,783 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

What's wrong with a five blade fan and a fan clutch
Old 04-15-2014, 08:36 AM
cdrag264
Racer

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
What's wrong with a five blade fan and a fan clutch
I haven't tried that yet. If I put a five blade fan on, should I still be concerned about having the fan half in and half out of the fan shroud?
Old 04-15-2014, 09:04 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by cdrag264
I have been having some engine cooling problems with my '64 coupe. I realized that my fan needs to be forward about 1/2 inch more into the shroud (1/2 in the shroud and 1/2 out). When I went to install the spacer, there isn't enough room to get the longer bolts thru the fan clutch to attach that plus the spacer to the water pump. Any advice would be appreciated.
i'm guessing that you are trying to put the bolts in after you have set the spacer and fan in place on the water pump. if so, try putting the bolts through the fan and spacer first and then slipping the assembly into place.
Bill
Old 04-15-2014, 03:11 PM
cdrag264
Racer

Originally Posted by wmf62
i'm guessing that you are trying to put the bolts in after you have set the spacer and fan in place on the water pump. if so, try putting the bolts through the fan and spacer first and then slipping the assembly into place.
Bill
I am trying to get the bolts thru the front of the fan clutch holes, than the spacer that attach them to the water pump. The original bolts were 1", but now I need 1 1/2" and they are to long to fit into the fan clutch holes.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:46 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,168 Likes on 487 Posts

Can you replace the bolts with studs/nuts?
Old 04-15-2014, 05:04 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

I haven't tried that yet. If I put a five blade fan on, should I still be concerned about having the fan half in and half out of the fan shroud?
With the proper clutch and fan, it should be spaced properly and work fine without any extra added fixes needed. In my 64, my fan is not exactly spaced 1/2 in /out and no cooling issues. What about the condition of the rest of your cooling system? Pilot Dan
Old 04-15-2014, 05:52 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Sounds like you are trying to put a spacer between a fan clutch and the water pump?
Old 04-15-2014, 08:40 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Carmen, I agree with trying the studs first. You should be able to find them at most autoparts stores, such as NAPA. Insert them into the water pump with some red Loctite on them and then slip the spacer and clutch onto the studs. Add the nuts and lock washers and you should be good to go. You could also slot the holes on the fan clutch (open them to the perimeter of the hub) if you want to stay with bolts, but that can be a bit of work.

How old is the radiator and is the fan clutch operating correctly? As others have mentioned, unless the fan is clearly not in the fan shroud at all, adequate cooling on these cars shouldn't hinge on a half inch of spacing.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 04-15-2014, 10:19 PM
cdrag264
Racer

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
Carmen, I agree with trying the studs first. You should be able to find them at most autoparts stores, such as NAPA. Insert them into the water pump with some red Loctite on them and then slip the spacer and clutch onto the studs. Add the nuts and lock washers and you should be good to go. You could also slot the holes on the fan clutch (open them to the perimeter of the hub) if you want to stay with bolts, but that can be a bit of work.

How old is the radiator and is the fan clutch operating correctly? As others have mentioned, unless the fan is clearly not in the fan shroud at all, adequate cooling on these cars shouldn't hinge on a half inch of spacing.

Good luck... GUSTO
Walt, I'll try the studs and see if that will work. The radiator is a Mr. Cool about 3 years old, new fan clutch and it checks out good. Always thought that the fan should be half in and half out for best cooling.. I'll let you know how it works out. Hope all is well, hows the restore coming?
Old 04-15-2014, 10:32 PM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

Not sure if your trying to install the fan with the shroud on but on my Z28 it's easier with the shroud loosened and moved toward the engine.

Get notified of new replies

To Fan Spacer Kit Install

Quick Reply: Fan Spacer Kit Install