C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'63 Convertible RestoMod

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 07:20 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Received 952 Likes on 473 Posts

[QUOTE=sonksen_design;1593426719]Anyone want to sponsor this build? Man, the credit card use is mind boggling lately! In order to get everything plumbed and wired up, I've picked up the engine harness, vintage air unit, headers, radiator w/fans, condenser, power master cylinder and more. I've got a lot to work on now while my bank account recovers.

Could you tell me what steering column you used, the length and if you would have used one a little longer or shorter if you could have?

Jjackson,
Hereford AZ
Old 05-27-2017, 09:18 AM
sonksen_design
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Could you tell me what steering column you used, the length and if you would have used one a little longer or shorter if you could have?

Jjackson,
Hereford AZ

It's a standard Ididit C2 column. My custom dash means I'm not 100% on how much different mine is from the firewall to the driver compared to stock. But the steering knuckled shaft should be able to be longer or shorter. Also depends on what chassis/rack and engine/header combos you're running. How's that for an answer? -SS
Old 05-29-2017, 07:31 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Received 952 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by sonksen_design

Jjackson,
Hereford AZ

It's a standard Ididit C2 column. My custom dash means I'm not 100% on how much different mine is from the firewall to the driver compared to stock. But the steering knuckled shaft should be able to be longer or shorter. Also depends on what chassis/rack and engine/header combos you're running. How's that for an answer? -SS
thanks. I have a stock type interior and am using an SRIII frame....I will see if I can find someone who has a similar deal...
Old 05-30-2017, 03:42 PM
Roger O'Dell
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I really like/jealous of your intake air system
Old 06-24-2017, 07:47 PM
sonksen_design
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Wiring and powder coated parts

Simply perfect Saturday shop day weather! Not much I'd rather be doing than working on Rae on a day like this. Missouri is going to turn hot and humid soon.

Here's some progress pictures. Yes, I'm still wiring along with other stuff. Uggh!

I cleaned and smoothed up the core support and got stuff off to the powder coater. No explanation required on most of these shots.

Name:  parts.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  97.2 KB
recognize any 'stock parts'?

Name:  defrost duct.jpg
Views: 1102
Size:  120.9 KB

Name:  wiper switch added.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  141.0 KB
Wasn't happy with Ididt website. So the 'wiper switch' that you can buy and replace the tilt lever....well, it wasn't ANYTHING like I had hoped. So I needed to design and fab in a regular wiper switch. Whittled the tear drop **** out of a chunk of 6061.

Name:  engine compartment 1.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  175.0 KB

Name:  engine compartment 3.jpg
Views: 1276
Size:  179.0 KB

Name:  engine compartment 2.jpg
Views: 1261
Size:  156.7 KB

Name:  interior 2.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  170.4 KB

Name:  interior.jpg
Views: 1128
Size:  163.8 KB
I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! Probably a train...
The following users liked this post:
RJ1 (06-25-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 07:22 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Really nice like the hose set up on air flow good thinking well planed out .Nice Job

Last edited by rtruman; 06-25-2017 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:15 AM
sonksen_design
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks a ton Jere!
Old 09-15-2017, 09:05 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Very nice
Old 01-03-2018, 02:57 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

I’ve posted very little in the last 9 months or so. The bodywork took a long time at my rate, but I’m pleased with how it looks sealed in epoxy. I think everyone has seen the progressions of bodywork, so I wasn’t excited to share any of it. My shop is a mess and I’ve got another bodyman weekend coming up helping my cousin Nathan repair rear quarters on my uncle Carl’s ’57 vette. July will have my shop free of the body dust and then I’ll finally be able to detail out my ’67 SS Chevy II so I can get it sold. Sad, but sacrificial lambs are required when you're not rolling in money.

Anyway, here’s the prep’d body sitting there with a brand spanking new 525hp LS3 with the Phoenix Trans 4L60E. I have the Compushift / Twist paddle shifter stuff to boot. FYI- since I think I’m the only nut putting an auto in a restomod, you may be interested in knowing it fit without mods to the tunnel. And if anyone wants to talk smack with my choice, just pull up to me at a light and we’ll see how things go for you.

A ton of stuff to purchase and fit now. Front drive system, radiator, VA A/C, ECM and much, much, much more. I also am talking with upholsters about stitching up all of my custom interior and hope somehow to have that done by the end of ’16.

Attachment 47992330

Attachment 47992331

Attachment 47992332

Attachment 47992333

Attachment 47992334

Looks great! One quick question...where did you place your compmushift controller for your 4L60E 4-speed automatic transmission? Please provide picture of controller location if possible.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:00 PM
sonksen_design
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CorvetteMikeB
Looks great! One quick question...where did you place your compushift controller for your 4L60E 4-speed automatic transmission? Please provide picture of controller location if possible.

Mike- Look back a page. It's behind a false panel where the wipe motor is.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:13 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Mike- Look back a page. It's behind a false panel where the wipe motor is.
Is that on the interior of the car?? I was reading to install controller under the dash or under the seat to keep away from the heat and the unit is not water proof, so do not install in engine bay. I could not tell by looking at your picture. You are highly talented and did a fantastic job.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:16 PM
sonksen_design
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CorvetteMikeB
Is that on the interior of the car?? I was reading to install controller under the dash or under the seat to keep away from the heat and the unit is not water proof, so do not install in engine bay. I could not tell by looking at your picture. You are highly talented and did a fantastic job.
Nope, engine bay. The cover will have a gasket, not that much water will be in there anyway. Heat won't be excessive there either. And... thanks!
Old 01-03-2018, 03:26 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Nope, engine bay. The cover will have a gasket, not that much water will be in there anyway. Heat won't be excessive there either. And... thanks!
I have a C2 coupe, could the 4L60E controller go in the small floor trunk behind the seats or would it get too hot in there? It also says under the seat, is there room, too hot? Where in the interior on a C2 Coupe would you recommend?
Old 01-11-2018, 08:20 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Thought I’d start a thread on this build since I now have some substantial progress. On May 2nd, my wife and I made a run from our home at the Lake of the Ozarks MO up to SRIII Motorsports to pick up the stage two chassis. Mike was as good to work with as all of you had sworn by. I’m sure that I’ll be doing more bragging on him and his crew as the build progresses. We then swung down to Lee Bumb to grab the front end, hood and misc pieces that I needed. You may be interested in reading more details about this project and how it’s been began almost 24 years ago, so check out my ‘profile album’ by the same title.

Since I made some major improvements to my shop in 2013 and starting tearing down the ’63 almost a year ago, I’ve made fairly steady progress. Having sat in a field in Minnesota for a decade after being totaled, this old vette was a mess. Quite obvious that she led a life of abuse and neglect even before the wreck. I’ve stripped it down and had it soda-blasted and jumped on repairing and re-finishing the parts that were worth a darn. I have a great start on the interior design as well as some other interesting twists. Nothing too radical on this girl. I am building this car to tour around in and enjoying scenic drives with my wife to hammering through the pylons at some car events. I’ll be keeping most of Shinoda, Mitchell & Dontov’s body design, other than slightly wider GTS rear quarters and tucking mostly-stock bumpers. Like my ’80 custom project from TWO decades ago (man, am I getting old), this one will be done by mostly my hands. Hopefully less than the 1980’s six thousand man hours… no joke. That’s why I’m going through all of this mess, I keep reminding myself since you all know not ever aspect is pure joy. That said, I am absolutely loving life right now and having a blast on this project. No hurry here and no agenda or plans to start up a rod shop. Just a simple tradesman who’s enjoying the fruits of his labor while being grateful for another challenging project. Can wait to get her done and then begin ‘updating’ the ’80 for its Round Two re-birth.

So now that I’ve over-spent 2014’s budget by ten-fold, I’ll get to work on getting the chassis under there so that I can accurately bond the nose on. Once that’s done, the dolly will go back under while the dirty work happens. Not trying to stick to a timeline, but it makes sense to get some interior progress done after the rough body work is done, in order to allow time for the upholsterers to do their stitching magic. On that note, I’m enjoying picking up some metal-shaping tools and equipment in order to: A) Master another craft…and B) fabricate my interior components. I’ll post more as that ‘shop stuff’ comes along. Maybe 2015 will be when I start picking up the LS3/4L60E drivetrain stuff, we will see.

Since I haven’t obsessed on these types of blogs before, maybe some ideas on what you would like to see me show on this thread. I do appreciate the ones that have gone before me and posted a ton of helpful stuff, but I’m not sure I can equal their time commitment for the cause

Attachment 48206401

Attachment 48206402

Attachment 48206403

Attachment 48206404

Attachment 48206405
That is the cleanest Garage I have ever seen>
sonksen_design (02-12-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 10:05 PM
Silverrick
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 22 Posts

Awesome, simply clean and well thought out!
Old 02-10-2018, 02:47 PM
Not Red Rob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 655 Likes on 297 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C4 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Amazing build!

PM sent....
Old 02-11-2018, 04:29 PM
BlackMoon
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I've seen many impressive builds but this is light years beyond impressive.

Get notified of new replies

To '63 Convertible RestoMod

Old 05-27-2018, 10:01 AM
sonksen_design
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default C2 tuck and trimming bumpers

This weekend marks 5 years in progress. Mostly steady!

Back in the saddle after ‘taking a break’…. For like 8-9 months. Sometime a guy just needs to walk away. Let the finances heal up and find the passion again. I certainly didn’t sit around and watch TV. I still have more electrical work to do, but I switched over to fabricating to get the ball rolling again.

So I had picked up solid old bumpers, knowing that I planned on tucking and trimming them. I had been saving posts on how guys did the mods. As usual, I never know when to stop and took things just a bit further. At least as far as the many restomod C2s I’ve seen for years. Doesn’t matter, I’ve learned not to be in a race to compare. Just do what I want and enjoy the craft.
Name:  front 01.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  70.6 KB

Name:  front 02.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  48.3 KB

Name:  front 03.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  52.7 KB

Name:  front 04.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  54.7 KB

Name:  front 05.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  60.5 KB

Name:  front 06.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  46.9 KB

The front bumper lower mounting has always stood out as an eyesore for me forever. So with my ‘extra’ rear bumpers, I spliced in sections to smoothly bring the vertical ‘fangs’ down. With my custom headlights, I wanted to tuck in the bumper nice and tight to the lower doors. I also thought the license plate bar needed to have the V in it to match the rest of the body lines. Still waiting on Ecklers to send me my dang grill! #$#$% back orders. I’ve decided to go with an Eckler’s spoiler and it’ll need some massaging. The brackets mounting to the lower SRIII frame shown are temporary. I’ll fab up a solid steel piece with slots and powder coat it.

The rear bumpers ‘underneath side’ always looked unfinished to me. Sure, you have to be on the ground to see it, but even a straight on rear view reveals the ugly brackets and the exposed fiberglass body line. So I extended out the lip a lot and also dropped the vertical fangs down slightly lower.

I still have more welding, grinding and finishing to do, but they're mostly done.

Name:  rear 01.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  55.5 KB

Name:  rear 02.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  72.9 KB

Name:  rear 03.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  69.6 KB

Name:  rear 04.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  57.2 KB

Last edited by sonksen_design; 05-27-2018 at 10:09 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-27-2018, 10:07 AM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

Received 631 Likes on 419 Posts

Nice work!
Old 05-27-2018, 10:33 AM
j_66chevelle
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Awesome work! Shaving my bumpers was easily the hardest thing I had to do!

Quick Reply: '63 Convertible RestoMod