C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

NCRS Absurdity

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 04:34 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by 63split63
When I watched the B-J auction and saw the NCRS verifying cars for payment I was shocked .
Anything for $$$$$$ and ego's .

JMO
You're way off base. NCRS was NOT "verifying cars for payment". NCRS has an agreement with Barrett-Jackson that any car described or claimed as having achieved an NCRS award must have that award confirmed as a fact by NCRS by the consignor, at his expense, before the car goes across the block, to stop the use of fake awards in vehicle descriptions and display materials. This has been in effect for the last four years (the other big-publicity auction house wasn't interested).
Old 06-08-2014, 04:51 PM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
Mike, then what do they do because that is the impression they want everyone to believe, that most (not all) of them know everything about an original Corvette and that the regular Corvette guy who is in the hobby to drive and have fun and show off there car knows nothing. I have had several NCRS what ever you want to call them come and look at my cars that I am selling and start running off at the mouth about this is not correct and that is not correct and this is wrong and that is wrong etc. I just tell them to leave or let me come and go over there cars when know one asked them to look at mine. Besides most of the time they were wrong anyway. Can you tell I am not an NCRS fan.
Is that because you are trying to sell 63 thru 67 that has parts from all 5 years on them. If you pay good money for a 67 one should expect to have all 67 parts not 3 through 7 parts & aftermarket add ones. NCRS dose a great service to keep people from getting screwed buying from some sellers that try to pass of a made up Corvette as being CORRECT (not original) which NCRS dose not do but you seem to not get the connection. You need to call MR. Obvious. For those that get it no explanation is needed. For those that don't none is possible.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:24 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Well lets see, your generator goes out so what do you do, or you fuel pump or your water pump or carb go out, what do you do? Well if you are just a Corvette guy who enjoys driving your Corvette and not hauling it around on a trailer afraid to drive it to get a rock chip or something you go to your local parts dealer and get a new part and keep driving your Corvette. But if you want your car to set in the garage most of the driving season then by all means go try to find a original or like you say now a like part and put on it and drive it. I figure if a car or Corvette motor and all the parts on it last 50 + years with nothing happening to them that is great but you can pretty much bet that something is going to break down on these cars and besides people bought Corvettes back in the 60's to drive the hell out of them and when you do that parts break. Now to replace it with aftermarket parts or to try to find original parts, that is up to you but for me I am going to fix my car with as close as I can get parts and keep driving it not haul it around to car shows, drive it. I will agree to disagree with you so you think what you want and I will think what I want.

Last edited by Mike Terry; 06-08-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:20 PM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
You're way off base. NCRS was NOT "verifying cars for payment". NCRS has an agreement with Barrett-Jackson that any car described or claimed as having achieved an NCRS award must have that award confirmed as a fact by NCRS by the consignor, at his expense, before the car goes across the block, to stop the use of fake awards in vehicle descriptions and display materials. This has been in effect for the last four years (the other big-publicity auction house wasn't interested).
NCRS should not have a financial connection to any auction .

Again JMO , Bill
Old 06-08-2014, 06:54 PM
Old Vet
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default non member

I was a member of NCRS for several years back in the 90's - but i drive (enjoy) my cars too much to fit in with them…..went out to the regional meet in Loveland Colorado this weekend and was talking with a gentleman associated with NCRS in the judging room, he told me there were some more cars out back, sportsman type cars, drivers…..

I asked him - "Isn't that what they were built for? To be driven & enjoyed?"

I walked away, won't be re-joining the club….
Old 06-08-2014, 06:58 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Vet
I was a member of NCRS for several years back in the 90's - but i drive (enjoy) my cars too much to fit in with them…..went out to the regional meet in Loveland Colorado this weekend and was talking with a gentleman associated with NCRS in the judging room, he told me there were some more cars out back, sportsman type cars, drivers…..

I asked him - "Isn't that what they were built for? To be driven & enjoyed?"

I walked away, won't be re-joining the club….
They made some of the real Corvettes park out in the back forty?

Old 06-08-2014, 07:08 PM
RCLS4
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see several people suggesting that this conversation should be on the NCRS web site! That would be IMPOSSIBLE! Any hint of criticism, and your post/thread will be eliminated!!! If a newer members asks a question that has been discussed before, they are often lambasted for not buying the judging guide or looking in the archives first. Instead of just letting it go, I've seen other members go out of their way to give a smartass answer! I'm still a member, but there is growing discontent by LOTS of members. It is a VALUABLE part of the hobby, it may not be everyones cup of tea, but the original concept of the club is great! They often complain about the 'greying' of the membership, I can't believe they don't understand the reason!
Old 06-08-2014, 07:19 PM
Ferrolanoman
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been a national member for over 30 yrs and have learned almost all I know about Corvettes from NCRS but dropped out of the local chapter because of some of the shenanigans detailed above. Too much ego, too much subjectivity in judging, too much cliquishness and so on. However, the manuals--flawed as they may be--still contain a tremendous amount of information and some sort of a standard that at least provide a guide to the fifty-year old cars that we own and work on. The reception that my wife and I got at the Loveland regional this last Friday, however, reaffirmed my conviction that it's probably best to stay away from the whole judging ritual and continue to drive and enjoy and preserve these great cars. Incidentally, we went hoping to find some leads to a driver (not collector) SWC. I felt for four '63 owners there having their cars judged--they were all miserable. So, even if we find a SWC, I seriously doubt we'll put ourselves in that predicament.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:25 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Dick, so sorry to see things go this far south. I liked Roy at the helm. Too many egos will kill the fun every time.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:11 PM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Well lets see, your generator goes out so what do you do, or you fuel pump or your water pump or carb go out, what do you do? Well if you are just a Corvette guy who enjoys driving your Corvette and not hauling it around on a trailer afraid to drive it to get a rock chip or something you go to your local parts dealer and get a new part and keep driving your Corvette. But if you want your car to set in the garage most of the driving season then by all means go try to find a original or like you say now a like part and put on it and drive it. I figure if a car or Corvette motor and all the parts on it last 50 + years with nothing happening to them that is great but you can pretty much bet that something is going to break down on these cars and besides people bought Corvettes back in the 60's to drive the hell out of them and when you do that parts break. Now to replace it with aftermarket parts or to try to find original parts, that is up to you but for me I am going to fix my car with as close as I can get parts and keep driving it not haul it around to car shows, drive it. I will agree to disagree with you so you think what you want and I will think what I want.
I understand what you are saying. I have bought & sold over 300 Corvettes in the day. It's all about what you want. All I am saying is give the people what that pay for with no BS.I am sure you know that ALL Car clubs judge car for factory correctness now. I just bought a 19631/2 427/425 HP Ford conv. that is factory correct with mostly NOS parts with all the correct markings ETC. This would not have happened if it were not for NCRS. Correct cars will always bring more money than made up ones. NCRS doesn't say it has to be factory installed only to look like it.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:33 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 746 Likes on 243 Posts

I just don't understand all the restamping and "correct" but not original parts. To me it's either original or it is not. If I buy a NOM 327 and have it stamped, why is that different than buying the same engine, but having it stamped correct? It's the same motor is it not?

I walk over to the building at Carlisle every year and it cracks me up to see these C4 Vettes all displayed like they are worth their weight in gold. I mean is anyone ever gonna pay huge money for a 86 anything?
Old 06-08-2014, 08:35 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Again, if you don't have some way to set standards for certain levels of restoration then what do you have ?
Chaos.

The cars will gradually deviate from some threshold of originality until the original as-built configurations become completely obscured. Granted (ignoring the stupid internal politics) the NCRS has its faults but what would anybody here suggest as an alternative?

There has to be some criteria or the denigration of what these cars represent will just be bedlam.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:58 PM
Larry P
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I built my car with the help of members on the NCRS and with every intention of going for judging. After my experience with the personalities and clicks both local and national. I got out. It's hard to get in.
I have never had any problems socially with a long history with Rotary, Golf clubs and Street rod clubs. I have never seen the same ability to except new people at NCRS at any level. Sorry.
Hope this post doesn't get moved or locked as the organization is important to our hobby, just needs some good judgement.
Larry
Old 06-08-2014, 09:06 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Default I used to try to stick to rebuilds of my original parts!

But this is a throw away and buy the reproduction part society. I totally respect a car with true NOS or rebuilt NOS and it used to be expected that if you wanted those high end credential, you had to earn them by search for the stuff, going to swap meets and such. Thus it took real passion and knowledge to go on the hunt.

I haven't done this with my race car, but I have went the route on some Z-28 Camaros (67 & 69), and one Chevelle!

But what has happened is the market has driven prices up on such. The guys that used to or still do rebuilding- their prices climbed. Thus this attracts foreign manufacturers of knock offs into the fray! Then the guys doing services can't compete and/or they raise the prices further! Thus I turned to the GM Performance Catalogs and aftermarket to get my Alternators, Water Pumps, Starters, Coils, Plug Wires what I call disposables!

What I don't like is that you can make a phone call now and have your windshields, alternators, water pumps and such dated! Kind of ridiculous and you pull out your check book and/or write the check for someone else to do it for you. Thus when I approach someone at a car show, the actual first thing I try to establish is whether they had a true effort in getting the car good looking and authentic or did they just write the check! And as to whether the car was done with reproductions. Thus the patina in my opinion is very telling! I used to value the cars with patina, but now the expert restorers know how to duplicate that!

I also believe that if you like the judging and you want to subject yourself and your car to it, then great have fun. I just don't like this elite attitude unless it was a true participation effort in getting a car to that standard and degree. The high end restorers will always have customers and with them, I hate to see them employ all of the short cut tricks to get the numbers matching and date correct this and that! But that is the name of the game now.

The parts are drying up and to take a car to that state just seems more like an investor game now and not an enthusiast and hobby interest! Thus counterfeit parts, make for counterfeit cars! Don't act so elite!!!!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 06-09-2014 at 01:42 AM.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:54 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,950 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Eh, I've owned my '67 since before there was an NCRS and at the rate they're going may well have it after they're gone.............. after all, that approach worked with my first wife!

Funny thing is, there are lots of old multi million dollar Ferraris around that don't have their original engines - or lots of other parts - and they still win major Concours and bring in mega bucks. I've always wondered why NCRS needs to be so **** about things, when many better marques don't......

Last edited by tuxnharley; 06-09-2014 at 01:07 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-08-2014, 11:30 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Received 621 Likes on 441 Posts

You mean to tell me that there are 63 and 64 Corvettes out there that people have spent thousands of dollars on the make then correct to the NCRS judging manual so they could get a TOP FLIGHT and brag about it and try to sell there car for more money just because it was certified NCRS Top Flight and they are not correct because the NCRS Judging manual is not correct? Is this what you are trying to tell everyone??? if this is true and you can prove it and I was (which I am not) one of the hundreds of people who have spent thousands and thousands to make there 63 or 64 Corvette NCRS correct to Top Flight and the judging book is not correct I would be pretty pissed at the NCRS group or at least the people who puts out the judging books. Can you prove what you say about the judging manuals not being correct??
Mike,

First, I should back up a bit and say that there are a lot of really good people in the NCRS organization. My rant was/is with two people. Roy and Carlten.

The following is, of course, just my opinion. And I think the opinion of most of the 63-64 owners that have had dealings with the 63-64 judging manual.

But back to the 63-64 judging guide, here's just one example of the failure.

I was told that all corrections/suggestions had to be sent to Carlten/Roy with documentation.

For years, the JG called for a 3859326 water pump for mid 63 through 64. (and later) I tried to convince Carlten that this was not the case. My info was ignored. Finally, in about 2007, I forwarded a scan of the original blueprint for the 3859326 pump that is dated early 1965! (March, if I remember correctly)
If there was no such thing as a 3859326 water pump on the planed during the 63 and 64 model years, I would say that's pretty good documentation for a correction in the JG.
The information was ignored. The new 5th edition came out a year later with the same error.

That's just one example. There are a lot more.

I was also told that these things weren't really important as there was only a small deduction for the incorrect part. But that isn't the point. It's not the flight award that's important. Preserving history is. That's what the organization was supposed to be all about when it was formed.

Back to factory condition judging certainly isn't for everyone but if that's what an organization is based on, then it should make every effort to compile correct information for it's manuals.

Unfortunately, Carlton didn't agree with this policy and Roy allowed him go on with it for over a decade. Very sad situation.

Last edited by Critter1; 06-09-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:46 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
What were the demands put to Sinor?
We still have not heard what the demands were or what the shakeup was.

M Milner, so you mean to tell me that the NCRS is willing to waste there time by going after DZAUTO for having his kind of NCRS sticker in his windshield of his car. You and them need to go play in the street.
Sure they would. They came after Critter and me over collecting '63 and '64 information for the judging guide. Gary Chestnut threatened legal action for using the NCRS logo as a link to NCRS, like the Facebook, Twitter, Google and other logos are used as links to their sites on here. And in trademark law, that is a legal use, as it indicates THEIR products, not indicating something of mine.

How can you forget the infamous NCRS t-shirts and stickers?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...gray-logo.html

And if you still don't think it is possible, read the following part below. Notice the censorship?

I still can't figure which side of the fence you are on in this. Some of your posts sound like you defend NCRS, others sound like you dislike their heavy-handed operation of how their business runs.

Originally Posted by Dick Whittington
In a display of idiocy, never before displayed by this group, the Board of Directors voted to present the Historic Documents Manager and former National Judging Chairman Roy Sinor with a set of personal demands that were very unreasonable and forced his resignation.

The move was led by **** ********* and supported by **** *****, **** *****, and ******* ********. This lunacy started when I served on the BOD. **, with the support of two then-Directors, went to Sinor demanding his resignation as National Judging Chair. After that fiasco, which failed, ** again tried unsuccessfully to fire Sinor again in Kissimmee this year. It appears that it has turned into a personal vendetta by **.

Roy Sinor is the most ethical individual that I have had the pleasure to meet and he bleeds NCRS blood. This absurdity has got to come to an end.

NAMES WERE REMOVED DUE TO THREAT OF LEGAL ACTION. GUESS THE TRUTH HURTS
Incredible, even over here, they exert enough influence to cover up what is going on. I view Dick's post similar to a news announcement, and yet it is censored because of NCRS possible legal action.

Get notified of new replies

To NCRS Absurdity

Old 06-09-2014, 06:50 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I thought the first post was inappropriate for this section of the forum and now its gone down hill from there. I had sure hoped the moderators would close this quickly and now we have names redacted due to threatened (allegedly) legal action.

I know, I know - if I don't like it then don't read it. Well, if you don't like the NCRS then don't join it...
Old 06-09-2014, 07:40 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Default Interesting!

So far what I have read is a bunch of guys not getting along, and someone telling everyone else about the fight and who was fighting! Sounds like an old tar and feathering! I could see someones feeling hurt that someone said they were wrong or ignorant or feeling like their reputation is hurt!

I think C1/C2 guys are generally the members most engrained in these enthusiast organizations! Thus don't see a problem talking about it on a forum. Actually the perfect place for public opinion and for informing the public.

Based on how well an organization is serving it's members can cause membership to decrease or increase!

In the areas where some legally sensitive things were actually said, the names involved weren't mentioned, is what I recalled such as the attendance at an auction to render services? I will have to go back and re-read that part!

Thus I would advise the NCRS to not do such things, because rendering a judgment on such is opening itself up to a potential problem. And that is far different than a member asking for a Judgment on their own personal vehicle to its quality to a standard. For such an Organization to be involved in valuation, or authentication is definitely falling outside of the boundary! Even if it is done for free! It is rendering a judgment that could directly effect a sell or buy! Thus if the credential (I don't know how I misspelled that above wrong, but I fixed it--Probably typing too fast!) of being to an NCRS standard is stated, then it is up to the buyer and seller to determine the correlation to what they are trying to do in their own deal! To research the intrinsic (I know I spelled that wrong!) value of such and form their own opinion of the importance!

Also if the organization can't take a little constructive criticism, then that is a sad day especially from the level of individuals discussing the topic!

I feel I have been rudely treated trying to check their events out, while trying to support their show by attending! Maybe they should pass out the rules, before letting people passed the rope!

It is a shame that the shipping thing is down. The Sinor guy was trying to help people. Sounded like an overwhelming project and I don't know what kind of help he had! Actually sounds bad that the top guy was having to handle that.

PS I am not a member and get my opinions about how I was received, also from enthusiast wearing the NCRS stickers and comments, and by reading in the Magazines about what they are up to and doing, and by way of the Forum! But then I don't naturally like anyone!

PS don't care if anyone thinks any of my points are relevent or not! Just throwing some more logs on the fire!!!!!

Let's see on the books (manuals) in general for any subject, I have never seen a completely accurate one, but then I haven't seen too many books that have had it all 100% correct. Thus when they replace Version #1 with revision copy number #2, I guess they had better start putting disclaimers in them because apparently #1 was flawed somewhere!

Heck the Assembly Line Factory could have had a bad day, and sent someone over to Joe's Auto Parts with some petty cash to get some water pumps, or alternators to finish the line one afternoon!

Interesting!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 06-09-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:47 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

My issue was THIS SECTION of the forum. Put it under Politics or "Off Topic" or something; especially since its not just C1/C2 specific. Then the rest of us can get on with life in providing/receiving technical help.

Quick Reply: NCRS Absurdity