C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 rear bumper hole repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 11:03 AM
Daren67
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Default C2 rear bumper hole repair

Going to attempt to repair rear 67 bumper hole on my car. See attached 2 pictures. The hole is slightly larger than a 1 inch diameter, say its a 1.5 inch square diameter. I purchased Bondo Stage 2 Fiberglass Repair Kit. I understand this is messy. I am a newbe at this. Do I saturate the 4 or 5 clothes first when applying to the backside (1 at a time) or do I lay them in then apply over it. Also, would Bondo long hair fiberglass filler be easier to apply or is the hole too large for this?. I intend to fix the back of the hole, fill the front sand it and then give to the paint guy later this fall for a new car paintjob. So my goal is to get the backside 100% and the front side 90%. Would blue tape hold in the front when I fill in the back or should I get some wood or copper sheet to hold filler back. Lastly will my car now be a "bondo crate". See attached pictures that I could not upload.
Attached Images   
Old 07-11-2014, 11:26 AM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Firstly make sure your kit contains fiberglass mat and not woven cloth. Next you need to taper the edges of that hole back about an inch front and back. Its as messy as you make it, a small patch like this shouldn't be. I would use a piece of thin cardboard like from a cereal box with wax paper over it and duct tape it over the outside of your hole to back it up. You only need 3 layers of 1 1/2 ounce mat on each side not. 5. Use a 1" wide paint brush, cut the bristles back leaving them 3/8" long so you can stipple the mat and resin to work the air bubbles out. Sand tour car with some 40 grit so the resin has a good bonding area and make it's clean.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:34 AM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

You can do this repair. Use mat glass rather than cloth. You will need to sand away some of the paint so as to have more surface area to have the glass adhere and remove some of the glass. Also, you will need to get a roller to roll out the air in the glass/mat. After it has cured, grind down the repair to just below the contour and fill with Evercoat Vette Panel Adhesive. Sand and then finish. This is what one of the very knowledgeable paint and body experts who post often in the Paint and Body section. You can post this also in that section. Others may chime in with their methods so you can choose. Very doable and have fun. There will be a lot of satisfaction when you are done. Good luck.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:37 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,595 Likes on 662 Posts

If you can get to the back side easily, grind about 4" all around the hole to get it clean, or sand blast it. (that works very well in cleaning it up.)

Apply masking tape on the outside of the hole as a form.

Lay the glass patch on a piece of cardboard and saturate it using a brush. Keep building up with 4 or 5 layers of random wove mat that will overlap the hole about 2" or more.

If you already have fiberglass cloth, you could use it but it will not sand down as smooth. (on the back side, as mat)

Make sure that you wear disposable gloves and apply the patch by hand and brush out smooth to get out the air pockets.

Make sure everything is ready before you mix up the resin.

Depending on how much hardener you use, and the temperature, it could set up in one minute or 30 minutes. If it is setting up slow, use a hair dryer to heat it up a bit.

After it has set up very well,(about 2 hours or over night, grind the outside smooth and feather it out and than apply 1 or 2 layers of Mat, not cloth, then grind it smooth.

Last edited by Roger Walling; 07-11-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:52 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

The ST-12 for C1 cars has a whole section (with pictures) on how to do fiberglas repairs.

I don't have a midyear manual, so i can't comment on that.

Doug

Get notified of new replies

To C2 rear bumper hole repair

Quick Reply: C2 rear bumper hole repair