C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

No oil fill spout or cap on engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 06:26 AM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Default I THINK I know why your choke ground wire is always hot

Originally Posted by Egor01
There is a clear plastic tube coming out of the rear of the engine, right beside the draft tube. I think it is for the oil pressure gauge, I snuck it in the firewall right beside it. There was no grommet there but I am putting one there now. I am not sure the red wire going to the empty Power window fuse is going to be permanent though. I find that without the car running and just sitting, the ground wire at the choke housing is extremely hot all the time. Is it normal to be hot all the time without the car on?
I just learned recently, while participating in a thread started by a guy whose driver's-side power window is miswired, that pre-'67 Corvettes have their power window circuits live all the time, NOT key-activated. That changed for the '67 model year by DOT regulation, I think.

I quote from your Edlelbrock carb's installation instructions: "Red Wire (+): To Ignition Key Activated 12V Source (NOT coil or alternator!)"

As it stands, I think your choke heater is hot all the time. So is your choke ever closed? Maybe not, since it seems to be getting juice all the time. Maybe where you live, and at this time of year, it doesn't matter much, but when/if you get cold weather, you may have starting trouble because your choke isn't really working. Seems like the choke heater could eventually run your battery down, but maybe you haven't let the car sit for a long enough period since you installed the Edelbrock to allow that to happen.

If what I've said is inapplicable or illogical, someone more experienced will correct me, but I think it makes sense.

Last edited by SI67; 09-03-2014 at 06:28 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:30 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by Egor01
There is a clear plastic tube coming out of the rear of the engine, right beside the draft tube. I think it is for the oil pressure gauge, I snuck it in the firewall right beside it. There was no grommet there but I am putting one there now. I am not sure the red wire going to the empty Power window fuse is going to be permanent though. I find that without the car running and just sitting, the ground wire at the choke housing is extremely hot all the time. Is it normal to be hot all the time without the car on?
No, it's not. It's hot because you have the red (feed) wire to the choke connected to that bottom Power Window cavity, which is "hot" all the time, so the bi-metallic coil inside the choke housing is also hot, holding the choke blade open. Move that red wire to the bottom terminal screw on the ballast resistor, which is an ignition-switched source - it'll only be "hot" with the key in the "on" position.
Attached Images  
Old 09-03-2014, 07:12 PM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
No, it's not. It's hot because you have the red (feed) wire to the choke connected to that bottom Power Window cavity, which is "hot" all the time, so the bi-metallic coil inside the choke housing is also hot, holding the choke blade open. Move that red wire to the bottom terminal screw on the ballast resistor, which is an ignition-switched source - it'll only be "hot" with the key in the "on" position.
My hat is off for JohnZ, another forum member bails me out again. If you didn't post a picture of that ballast resistor, I would have never found it. I did as you said, The car is running awesome. Thank you Sir. This forum is the best.

Quick Reply: No oil fill spout or cap on engine