C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Alternator arms?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 06:51 PM
BANG11
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Alternator arms?

This doesn't look right, anybody have an idea why double arms were used on this? On a NOM, 180 block cast number.

Are the support arms supposed to be bent, see anything else that looks wrong?
Old 09-09-2014, 08:21 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,860 Likes on 1,103 Posts

[QUOTE=BANG11;1587794454
This doesn't look right, anybody have an idea why double arms were used on this? On a NOM, 180 block cast number.

Are the support arms supposed to be bent, see anything else that looks wrong?[/QUOTE]

That's not a '63-'67 alternator mounting - note the black cast iron lower mount that's bolted to an accessory hole in the front of the cylinder head; those heads and that mount didn't show up until 1969. That's some kind of Bubba arrangement on a Heinz 57 motor.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:31 PM
BANG11
Racer

Heinz 57 is an understatement

I'm changing the intake to an aluminum one, trying to follow your "intake swap" article as best I can. I'm going to leave the Bubba fix for now, make changes as winter projects.

Exhaust riser, how much movement is there supposed to be with the lever doing it manually? I think mine might be stuck.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:37 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 7,083 Likes on 4,868 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

As you turn the spring damper the valve in the inside should move at the same time
Old 09-09-2014, 10:02 PM
kidvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnZ
That's not a '63-'67 alternator mounting - note the black cast iron lower mount that's bolted to an accessory hole in the front of the cylinder head; those heads and that mount didn't show up until 1969. That's some kind of Bubba arrangement on a Heinz 57 motor.

You can keep the lower bracket and just get a upper bracket for a A/C car with the alternator on the left side. It will mount on the water pump bolt up to the back side of the alternator housing mount tab. It looks like yours in in front of the alternator housing mount tab. It will not be factory correct but it will work. Good Luck.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:54 PM
BANG11
Racer

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
As you turn the spring damper the valve in the inside should move at the same time
I thought it should, and it finally did, just seized up.

You can keep the lower bracket and just get a upper bracket for a A/C car with the alternator on the left side. It will mount on the water pump bolt up to the back side of the alternator housing mount tab. It looks like yours in in front of the alternator housing mount tab. It will not be factory correct but it will work. Good Luck.
How is the alternator supposed to be mounted on a 66, 300 or 350hp?
Is it supposed to be on the RH side? I have some 65 low hp motor stuff, maybe I could make it right.

Thanks for the replies
Old 09-09-2014, 11:16 PM
kidvette
Pro

Originally Posted by BANG11
I thought it should, and it finally did, just seized up.

How is the alternator supposed to be mounted on a 66, 300 or 350hp?
Is it supposed to be on the RH side? I have some 65 low hp motor stuff, maybe I could make it right.

Thanks for the replies
The lower alternator bracket mounts to the exhaust manifold. It is a different lower bracket than the one you have. Also I believe only A/C cars had the alternator on the drivers side of the car.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:32 PM
BANG11
Racer

The lower alternator bracket mounts to the exhaust manifold. It is a different lower bracket than the one you have. Also I believe only A/C cars had the alternator on the drivers side of the car.
And of course my car doesn't have a mount on the exhaust manifold

The car has been converted to sidepipes, all sidepipes were 2" correct? So that means I have 2" exhaust manifolds?

Almost forgot, here's the new addition
Old 09-10-2014, 07:52 AM
kidvette
Pro

The car has been converted to sidepipes, all sidepipes were 2" correct? So that means I have 2" exhaust manifolds?

Almost forgot, here's the new addition
The proper style manifold is easy to find. They can be 2 or 2 1/2 inch. I would recommend you get a corvette shop manual and an assembly manual. These are great for answering what goes where and in what direction it goes in. Plus there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and people that have done most everything.

PS. Nice looking car

Last edited by kidvette; 09-10-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:12 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,860 Likes on 1,103 Posts

66's had 2" exhaust manifold outlets. You need a 3846559 exhaust manifold, and it will accept the production '66-'67 LH alternator lower and upper mountings ('66-'67 small-blocks all had the alternator on the left side, as did all '63-'65 small-blocks with A/C).
Old 09-11-2014, 11:58 PM
BANG11
Racer

Thanks John, I thought the alternator moved sides after 65 but didn't know 66's went to all 2" manifolds.

Another problem I think I may have is my harmonic balancer is barely pushed up on the crank.

How far up on the crank is it supposed to go? I have almost exactly 1" of balancer hanging off of crank. I'm thinking I should remove balancer, clean, oil, and reinstall balancer?

Get notified of new replies

To Alternator arms?

Quick Reply: Alternator arms?