C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Crank Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 08:58 PM
Captain Bud
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Default Crank Pulley

I need ideas to solve a problem. I'm planning to install Steeroids power steering to my '60 283 4BL Corvette. The installation calls for a 2 groove crank pulley, the inner groove to run the water pump and generator, the outer groove to run the P/S pump.
My engine has a "narrow" (thin) balancer so my existing crank pulley has what I describe as a bell to space it away from the balancer and align with the water pump and generator.
Most small blocks have a wide balancer so changing the pulley wouldn't be a problem as it would bolt flush. My options are:
  • 1) find a 2 groove balancer with a bell that will keep the first groove the same distance it currently is from the balancer.
  • 2) Get an approximately 3/4 inch spacer between a new 2 groove pulley and the ballancer to bring the first groove out where it need to be,
  • 3) tack weld another pulley to my existing pulley.
  • 4) Least desirable is replace the narrow balancer with the thicker one and just bolt my 2 groove pulley to it.
  • Give me some good ideas or if you have a part number for a 2 groove pulley that moves the first groove forward of the balancer, that would be ideal
Captain Bud
Attached Images  
Old 09-14-2014, 09:02 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

GM made add on steel out PS pulleys for all SB and BB. They bolt on top the crank pulley.

Quick Reply: Crank Pulley