C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

MSD Atomic EFI

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 11:17 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Default MSD Atomic EFI

I've been looking at the MSD Atomic EFI Unit. Spoke with the tech guy and downloaded the manual. Just wondering if any of you have installed one on your C-2 or C-3's.

The Unit looks very nice and can be used in many different configurations.
It only has an 8 wire connection set up. It bolts right to your intake and comes with a Mini Palm size set up unit that unplugs when your done.

List on the web page is pricey but It can be found at many big Suppliers.
Go to the web page below and their are videos on the site on the install as well as the Complete "PDF" manual for download.

Getting the itch... Mo Money ..Mo Money...

What do you think??

http://www.atomicefi.com/home.aspx If the link does not take you to the page ...look for Atomic EFI
Old 11-14-2014, 11:22 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

I don't see the benefit/value. *shrug*

Aesthetically they just sit up there and they don't look all that great.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:34 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C2 of Year

Originally Posted by Zoomin
I don't see the benefit/value. *shrug*

Not sure I understand the "just sit up there and they don't look all that great" part

The Benefit is a more accurate A/F Mixture and a Better running car with some HP Gains as well as a cleaner burn and not having to worry about Temp changes and fuel mixture changes in all weather conditions.

I drive my Vette on long trips allot in different weather conditions ware carbs show their lack of dealing with extream cold and or heat.

However ...I guess this would not be for every one who has a nice running local driven Vette. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I can see that point. But their are Corvette guys who drive EFI Restomods that run extremely well.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:40 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Sorry, I'm half asleep.

I thought you meant this.

Look into FAST EZ EFI. Most of these require a square bore intake, so factor that in to your cost as well.

Last edited by Zoomin; 11-14-2014 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:43 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C2 of Year

Originally Posted by Zoomin
Sorry, I'm half asleep.

I thought you meant this.
No Problem... The link should show the Atomic EFI Injection unit.

Watch the video's their are three....
Old 11-14-2014, 11:49 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C2 of Year

More...info...Looks simple... "If it looks to good to be true....." Is it

http://www.atomicefi.com/Quick_Start_Guide.aspx
Old 11-15-2014, 12:07 AM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Viet Nam Vett
I've been looking at the MSD Atomic EFI Unit. Spoke with the tech guy and downloaded the manual. Just wondering if any of you have installed one on your C-2 or C-3's.

Here's a thread wherein a Forum member tells of his good experience. There are others, too. The guy who installed Atomic EFI chimes starting at post #11

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...dding-efi.html

I'm intrigued by these systems, too. Atomic EFI and Professional Products Powerjection III are the only ones I know of which build the ECU into the throttle body, making for an easier installation. Some folks have been happy with the Prof. Products system and others have horror stories. I suggest you search this Forum and the C3 Forum for "Atomic EFI."

Steve
Old 11-15-2014, 11:50 AM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C2 of Year

Originally Posted by SI67
Here's a thread wherein a Forum member tells of his good experience. There are others, too. The guy who installed Atomic EFI chimes starting at post #11

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...dding-efi.html

I'm intrigued by these systems, too. Atomic EFI and Professional Products Powerjection III are the only ones I know of which build the ECU into the throttle body, making for an easier installation. Some folks have been happy with the Prof. Products system and others have horror stories. I suggest you search this Forum and the C3 Forum for "Atomic EFI."

Steve

Thanks For the reply... I did check out the Pro Products unit but their system is not designed as well as the MSD. They say it doesn't need a return line ...but if you want to run it that way you need the more expensive by $300.00 and some dollar "Fuel Pump Speed Controller" which senses fuel demand and regulates the DC Voltage to the pump.

Plus when I spoke to them I had asked for some additional info which they provided after waiting several hours for a return call. Then I sent an email off asking for dimensions which I still have yet to receive.

The MSD folks seem to have a better web site with more info and better informed Tech staff that either answer on the first call or call you back with in a 1/2 hour or less.

Pus the install video was very helpful. The PDF Manual I down loaded is much less involved then the Pro Products unit. With theirs you have to use your laptop while driving and or standing still to fine tune the unit.

MSD's Palm Plug in is much more advanced. I'll check out the Posts on C-3.

Thanks For the info...
Old 11-15-2014, 01:14 PM
Tossin
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

List on the web page is pricey but It can be found at many big Suppliers.
You weren't kidding.

But if you're running your car a lot, it makes sense, but price tag is hard to swallow.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:23 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C2 of Year

Originally Posted by Tossin
You weren't kidding.

But if you're running your car a lot, it makes sense, but price tag is hard to swallow.
Yeah MSD sells it for list price I think $2500.00 or so. I was at Pep Girls the other day and they have a hot rod shop section. They were selling it for about $2100.00 MSD I guess has to protect their dealers.

I use my Vette all year round even in the cold as long as the roads are clear and dry. Plus I take long trips. Just got back from Bowling Green for the 20 year anniversary of the NCM...2000 miles round trip.

Around town and speeds up to about 50 the A/F meter was around 13.9 to 14.1. But at interstate speed it was rich... Needs some work on the jetting.

Plus, changes in temp and humidity effected the mixture. I get tired of screwing with the carb. If it was all local I would just leave things be.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:52 PM
XLR8OR
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Throttle Body EFI

This system is NOT fuel injection! It is a fancy carburetor that does not have fuel injectors.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:00 PM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Default And here we are again.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:00 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C2 of Year

Originally Posted by SI67

I Hear Yeah...... Consider this the point that I end my Inquiry and gracefully end my participation. Thanks to all who replied. After seeing the amount written on this topic on older threads...I think it's time to stop

Old 11-16-2014, 01:08 AM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I Hear Yeah...... Consider this the point that I end my Inquiry and gracefully end my participation. Thanks to all who replied. After seeing the amount written on this topic on older threads...I think it's time to stop

Hi Mark:
I installed Atomic EFI on my 67 Coupe in April, 2012 with MSD's distributor so timing is controlled as well. It is absolutely dependable and changes the way the car runs. Tuning is a breeze and can be done easily in real time. I opted to install the pump in my tank to make sure there would be no issues in hot weather. Initially I did the returnless system, but have since changed it to a return type using the original fuel line for the return. We have driven it over 20,000 miles since installation including a cruise from NY to Tahoe, CA with a drive to the top of Pikes Peak on the way. My car is totally dependable and predictable in the way it runs. On the highway I have hit as high as 21 MPG. I don't know if it has more HP, but throttle response is much more immediate and in the seat of my pants it feels good.

This August we relocated to cave Creek, AZ (I drove the Vette here) and had no problems in the 110 (plus) degree summer days.

For those who say it does nothing or is just an electronic carb, they are wrong! For best results get the distributor with it and mount the pump in your tank. If you would like information on how I mounted the fuel pump, etc. let me know. You can even use a stock GM dist cap and plug wires on this distributor and it will fit under the shielding.

Good Luck,
Roy
Attached Images  
Old 11-16-2014, 07:50 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I looked at these for a while for my '67 Chevelle, by the time I was done adding up the full blown system (in tank fuel pump with return line, including timing controlled by unit, etc) it was approaching the price of a ZZ crate motor. I couldn't see it. I'm sure they work fine in the proper circumstances but the ROI to me wasn't justifiable. I fixed my carb/perc problems instead; but 'to each his own'

If people don't see an F/I 'rail' system I guess they don't think its F/I...I think that's a distribution issue and is a consideration...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 11-16-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:45 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

OP, I wouldn't give up on the EFI just yet. The Atomic EFI is a throttle body FI (TBI) system, so it looks like a fancy carb, but it's not. GM made a gazillion TBI systems in the late '80s, they were dead on reliable and were easily able to meet emissions rules with a 3-way catalytic converter. You'll still need a good intake manifold. TBI systems need a good intake manifold so that fuel distribution between the cylinders is close to even. Port injection systems don't need that so much.

TBI offers a few advantages that the OP noted. It can control both the spark curve and the AF ratio to deal with all outside air and engine temps. They can be adjusted to give really good fuel economy at part throttle/light load. The closest you can get to that kind of adjustability is with a Quick Fuel carb with replaceable air bleeds in the metering block and in the carb main body - and at that it's still trial and error.

Will you make back the investment in saved fuel? No, not in this lifetime. Will you be happier that the car starts after just a couple of engine turns, runs perfectly without hesitation from dead cold to fully warmed up and gets 2-5 mpg better at part throttle. Probably.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:51 AM
FastEddy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A Carb is nothing but a partially controlled fuel leak. If you actually drive alot, keep in mind that the more precise fuel mixture afforded by these EFI systems most likely means less fuel wash down of your piston rings for longer cylinder and ring life, and cleaner plugs for longer life of those as well. I've got 205,000 miles on my 07 tahoe, with original plugs and it's not burning oil - try doing that with a carburetored motor

If I had the money, I would swap to the Fast Dual Quad setup, see pic, for my tunnel ram in a second... even though I already spent a sh*tload of time dialing in my carbs. I run my car year round, and actually have a winter jetting, and a summer jetting. Sure would be nice to drop that carb pullin, float bowl poppin, jet swappin, use these gaskets one more time, routine.
Attached Images  

Last edited by FastEddy; 11-17-2014 at 01:08 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To MSD Atomic EFI

Old 11-17-2014, 10:59 AM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C2 of Year

Originally Posted by 67-427ci
Hi Mark:
I installed Atomic EFI on my 67 Coupe in April, 2012 with MSD's distributor so timing is controlled as well. It is absolutely dependable and changes the way the car runs. Tuning is a breeze and can be done easily in real time. I opted to install the pump in my tank to make sure there would be no issues in hot weather. Initially I did the returnless system, but have since changed it to a return type using the original fuel line for the return. We have driven it over 20,000 miles since installation including a cruise from NY to Tahoe, CA with a drive to the top of Pikes Peak on the way. My car is totally dependable and predictable in the way it runs. On the highway I have hit as high as 21 MPG. I don't know if it has more HP, but throttle response is much more immediate and in the seat of my pants it feels good.

This August we relocated to cave Creek, AZ (I drove the Vette here) and had no problems in the 110 (plus) degree summer days.

For those who say it does nothing or is just an electronic carb, they are wrong! For best results get the distributor with it and mount the pump in your tank. If you would like information on how I mounted the fuel pump, etc. let me know. You can even use a stock GM dist cap and plug wires on this distributor and it will fit under the shielding.

Good Luck,
Roy
Roy I had sent you PM... Very Much interested in how you mounted the pump in the tank ..Please PM back per my PM with your phone number and I will call you on my dime.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:08 AM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C2 of Year

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I looked at these for a while for my '67 Chevelle, by the time I was done adding up the full blown system (in tank fuel pump with return line, including timing controlled by unit, etc) it was approaching the price of a ZZ crate motor. I couldn't see it. I'm sure they work fine in the proper circumstances but the ROI to me wasn't justifiable. I fixed my carb/perc problems instead; but 'to each his own'

If people don't see an F/I 'rail' system I guess they don't think its F/I...I think that's a distribution issue and is a consideration...

What you say makes sense...and this thread will continue like the others. But all I want is better A/F mixture and not worrying about playing with jets and carb tuning and all the PITA gack that goes with it. It might me just a Carb with Fuel Injectors in it but they run a hell of allot better A/F wise then any carb I ever seen.

The only thing that ticks me off is that they advertise it as returnless but then tell you your better off with a return line and or the pump in the tank.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:30 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

I prefer the sequential port EFI systems. Pro-M, formerly mass-flo efi, makes a great system. Pricey, but it is truly plug and play. The last system i installed took about 8 hours, but after only setting the timing, i was out driving the car the next day and I didnt need to make any major adjustments. It's a bit more expensive, but you wont have to pay somebody a boat load of money to tune your car when it wont run either.

http://www.promracing.com/pro-m-efi-...fi-system.html

Quick Reply: MSD Atomic EFI