C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Key Slot in Harmonic balance issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 07:04 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

Default Key Slot in Harmonic balance issue?

I have two harmonic balancers and one has the key slot the same width all the way down the shaft. The one I have on the car I took off to check to see if I had a harmonic balance spacer...and while doing so, I looked at the key slot and it's not like the other...is this normal?

Name:  DSCN3370[2].jpg
Views: 786
Size:  63.6 KB
Old 12-03-2014, 07:21 PM
VetteRed1965
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If the woodruff key is not the the same length as the depth of the slot don't worry about it.
If the woodruff key is to long, cut it and take a file to the insert end to help with the installation .
Old 12-03-2014, 07:26 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 554 Likes on 447 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Give these people a call.

http://www.damperdoctor.com/
Old 12-03-2014, 07:45 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Thanks peeps.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:59 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

the keyway is there only to align the damper timing mark in the correct location. the new corvette engines do not have keyed dampers
Old 12-04-2014, 09:19 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

I called the damper doctor as Jim suggested and he said the slot should be one diameter all the way down. He said that it looks like it's been machined that way, but it's not. He said that the balance must have been "loose" on the car. I have never had this on my car, so it wasn't mine that did it.
I heard that if it is bolted down there shouldn't be a problem, but personally I don't feel comfortable knowing that perhaps it could slip. I bought it from a dealer a long time ago, but never checked the slot. He asked to see pics. Stay tuned for more.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:57 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 564 Likes on 338 Posts

Interesting feature that one has.

Here's the one on that parts buck before Damper DR restored it....

Old 12-04-2014, 09:58 PM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

It looks like the damper has been loose on the crank and been hitting the key on the crank hard enough to wear the slot much wider than it should be. I wouldn't use this damper.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:08 PM
donbayers
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Damper Doctor is awesome

Just sayin
Old 12-04-2014, 10:17 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Yea...I don't want to use it, that's for sure.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:41 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

I'm not one to bash a dealer...BUT this one deserves it.

I bought this harmonic balance from CORVETTE STOP in Shingle Springs (Sacramento) CA. Some of you may know that Noland Adams use to work there.

I called them on Thursday and spoke to Drew and told him I bought it a while back ago, didn't know when, and I didn't have my receipt. He said, he doesn't like to leave customers high and dry and to send him pictures. So I did that day.

Come Friday...no word
Come Saturday and Sunday..no word

I call them Monday and left a message...and at 4PM I get this response...

We have reviewed the pictures and to proceed with your concerns we can’t do anything further without a copy of your original invoice. That will help clarify what we sold you, and when it was sold to you. Then we can discus this matter further. Thanks Drew at Corvette Stop
When I got the email, I called them and requested to speak to Drew. Tim told me he was in the mist of sending me an email. I said, why waste time composing an email and just talk to me on the phone. My request was denied and Tim said, you can speak to me. So I said, "So basically Drew is refusing to talk to me...let's just call it like it is".

I continued and said....I told you on Thursday I didn't have the receipt and wasn't sure when I bought it. So why didn't you just tell me Thursday that I was "soul-out-of-luck" instead of me wasting all this time?? Instead you lead me on telling me you don't like to leave customers high and dry, I send you pictures, I wait 4 days and here I am.

I continued....you are telling me I'm "SOOL" because I don't have a receipt...but what about you guys? You have no record? Why is it because I don't have a record, I'm the one taking the fall? What boggles my mind is that we are talking about 100 bucks. Is it really worth 100 dollars to have some guy on a corvette forum bash your company?? I said, tell Drew to forget the email and forget about me buying anything else from you.

I told them I'm going to package it up and send it back and they said no need to...and I said, "Why not"?? It's no good to me and maybe you can sell it to another customer.

I own my own company and invented a product for law enforcement. One officer called me and told me his boat capsized and my device was at the bottom of the lake with all this other equipment and he needed to order another. I said, "hey, you have enough problems, I'll just send you another one". Do you know, this guy is going to be telling every officer he knows that I did this?? I couldn't buy this kind of advertising! Same thing happened to another officer where his remote cabin burned down. Now this is customer service...and you bet I told the Corvette Stop this also.

AND BTW...I ordered one from the Damper Doctors....got it the next day and guess what....the key is in excellent shape...go figure!

Last edited by jusplainwacky; 12-12-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:25 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jusplainwacky
I'm not one to bash a dealer...BUT this one deserves it.

I bought this harmonic balance from CORVETTE STOP in Shingle Springs (Sacramento) CA. Some of you may know that Noland Adams use to work there.

I called them on Thursday and spoke to Drew and told him I bought it a while back ago, didn't know when, and I didn't have my receipt. He said, he doesn't like to leave customers high and dry and to send him pictures. So I did that day.

Come Friday...no word
Come Saturday and Sunday..no word

I call them Monday and left a message...and at 4PM I get this response...

When I got the email, I called them and requested to speak to Drew. Tim told me he was in the mist of sending me an email. I said, why waste time composing an email and just talk to me on the phone. My request was denied and Tim said, you can speak to me. So I said, "So basically Drew is refusing to talk to me...let's just call it like it is".

I continued and said....I told you on Thursday I didn't have the receipt and wasn't sure when I bought it. So why didn't you just tell me Thursday that I was "soul-out-of-luck" instead of me wasting all this time?? Instead you lead me on telling me you don't like to leave customers high and dry, I send you pictures, I wait 4 days and here I am.

I continued....you are telling me I'm "SOOL" because I don't have a receipt...but what about you guys? You have no record? Why is it because I don't have a record, I'm the one taking the fall? What boggles my mind is that we are talking about 100 bucks. Is it really worth 100 dollars to have some guy on a corvette forum bash your company?? I said, tell Drew to forget the email and forget about me buying anything else from you.

I told them I'm going to package it up and send it back and they said no need to...and I said, "Why not"?? It's no good to me and maybe you can sell it to another customer.

I own my own company and invented a product for law enforcement. One officer called me and told me his boat capsized and my device was at the bottom of the lake with all this other equipment and he needed to order another. I said, "hey, you have enough problems, I'll just send you another one". Do you know, this guy is going to be telling every officer he knows that I did this?? I couldn't buy this kind of advertising! Same thing happened to another officer where his remote cabin burned down. Now this is customer service...and you bet I told the Corvette Stop this also.

AND BTW...I ordered one from the Damper Doctors....got it the next day and guess what....the key is in excellent shape...go figure!
Okay, I am not bashing also... Years ago, I bought a 1962 rear brake backing plate from the same business. I had to driver side or two passenger side and needed one or the other. FedEx overnight one from Corvette Stop and got a 1964 rear back plate instead of a 1962. At the time, I was on a time constraint and needed the part ASAP so I could make my car into a roller and place the body back onto the frame for a move from California to Midwest. I was very clear on what I needed when I ordered the part. It cost me double of what it was worth. The rear backing plate is still in one of my parts bin.

It even had 1964 written on it. I made it explicitly clear I needed one for 1962. So filled and drilled the parking brake cable opening turned a driver into a passenger side rear brake backing plate. My first response was where was Noland when you needed him?

Last edited by jimh_1962; 12-15-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:39 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Hey Jim...sorry to hear you also had a bad experience.

I really debated on posting my experience because I may have been a "one-off" and sometimes "stuff happens"...but you to huh?

Anyone reading this might think (as I did)...I should have inspected the part more carefully when I got it, and secondly I should have kept my receipt. However, I didn't think there was much to inspect...I mean what could be wrong with a harmonic balance?? But that's what happens when you're not a pro and know everything about these cars.

I thought all HB were bolted on the front, it wasn't until I talked to the Damper Doctor that I learned that some aren't bolted on and can clip on the crank causing this.

The thing is what I don't get...yea, I didn't have my receipt, and I didn't inspect it....but they have no record of selling it to me?? And what was the final straw was being told Drew was in the mist of writing me and email and I asked to speak to him and was blown off! I mean, seriously where is the customer service if you're not even willing to talk to the customer to resolve things?
Old 12-15-2014, 05:57 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

I really debated on posting my experience because I may have been a "one-off" and sometimes "stuff happens"...but you to huh?

Anyone reading this might think (as I did)...I should have inspected the part more carefully when I got it, and secondly I should have kept my receipt. However, I didn't think there was much to inspect...I mean what could be wrong with a harmonic balance?? But that's what happens when you're not a pro and know everything about these cars.

I thought all HB were bolted on the front, it wasn't until I talked to the Damper Doctor that I learned that some aren't bolted on and can clip on the crank causing this.

The thing is what I don't get...yea, I didn't have my receipt, and I didn't inspect it....but they have no record of selling it to me?? And what was the final straw was being told Drew was in the mist of writing me and email and I asked to speak to him and was blown off! I mean, seriously where is the customer service if you're not even willing to talk to the customer to resolve things?
Well, I inspected it and felt it was going to cost me more than it was worth since the part was overnighted. The funny part or not so funny part was the person doing the bodywork had about 10 of the same backing plates in his parts pile out back. He works mostly with midyears. At the same time, he commented the same thing: "You would think that they would know the differences. Plus, Noland is there..."

A couple of weeks ago a local shop who was replacing my engine harness (long post). Commented he knew the guys there and would call them to see if they had engine harnesses. I told him don't bother and go the source M&H or LL. Eventually, he went to LL to get a replacement harness. I tried to explain to him what I thought. Not bashing just do not need something overnighted which is wrong sent to his shop then trying to make it work.

Some companies are better than others. Then again I never sent a part back other than seat springs at a show for CC. I just figured it was not worth it. Just better off to look somewhere else.

Seat springs was interesting one. Al Knoch would not install the seat springs even though CC sold me the correct ones. They told me the seat springs were not correct ( I know there are two types). I was able to go to CC booth and they told me they would correct the problem and get me the correct seat springs. Sure enough! Great company. Another good vendor is Keen!

Last edited by jimh_1962; 12-15-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:02 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Yeah Damper Doctor is great! Really cool guy!
Old 12-15-2014, 06:19 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Yea...very nice guy. Other nice thing...about 1/2 the cost than what I see from most dealers.

Get notified of new replies

To Key Slot in Harmonic balance issue?

Quick Reply: Key Slot in Harmonic balance issue?