C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1965 Corvette Hardtop Date Code

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 12:28 AM
bondguy
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 1965 Corvette Hardtop Date Code

I though the original plexiglas windows on C2 hardtops had some sort of code for the date…seems this one is just a 6/64. Anyone can tell me if this looks like original window on the top. And, can't imagine too many tops out there still have the original Plexi window on them.
Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2015, 12:39 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 851 Likes on 585 Posts

This is what my 66 judging manual says, so I 'assume' its the same for yours...

There should be letters in the lower left and upper right...

H,I,J,K,L IN THE LOWER LEFT

THE "E'S" ARE IN THE UPPER RIGHT

August...H...E
September...I...E
October...J...E
November...K...E
December...L....E

Last edited by 66jack; 03-24-2015 at 12:42 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:23 AM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

The window shown in the pic above is characteristic of an early ’65 window stamping. The alpha date coding didn’t start until mid-to-late ’65. An NCRS article and survey found cars built September through November 1964 with “6 - 64” numerical date codes, and cars built December and later with alpha codes.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:29 AM
bondguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike67nv
The window shown in the pic above is characteristic of an early ’65 window stamping. The alpha date coding didn’t start until mid-to-late ’65. An NCRS article and survey found cars built September through November 1964 with “6 - 64” numerical date codes, and cars built December and later with alpha codes.
That's what I couldn't understand. I always thought that there was a double letter date code but didn't see one here. Too funny…my car is a 65' built on December 14th of 1964. So while probably not appropriate for my build date it's pretty close. Not getting car judged anyway…just kind of surprised that the plexiglas is in good shape
Old 03-24-2015, 12:50 PM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by bondguy
That's what I couldn't understand. I always thought that there was a double letter date code but didn't see one here. Too funny…my car is a 65' built on December 14th of 1964. So while probably not appropriate for my build date it's pretty close. Not getting car judged anyway…just kind of surprised that the plexiglas is in good shape
I wouldn’t be too quick to say your top is not original. There is usually some variation within surveys and transition dates. Your build date is right on the break point so unless you have other indicators, I would assume it is original.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:36 PM
bondguy
Instructor

I wouldn’t be too quick to say your top is not original. There is usually some variation within surveys and transition dates. Your build date is right on the break point so unless you have other indicators, I would assume it is original.
I don't have this top yet...was looking to buy it. Upon further examination, even though the whole top looks nice, there are no front latches at all...can those be added easily and are they expensive? Seems like they would just screw onto the front underside somewhere.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:47 PM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

2018 C2 of Year Finalist

I don't have this top yet...was looking to buy it. Upon further examination, even though the whole top looks nice, there are no front latches at all...can those be added easily and are they expensive? Seems like they would just screw onto the front underside somewhere.
Although, most of the hardtop components are available through places like Glassworks, they can be pricey. You also might get lucky and find parts on ebay. I wouldn't pay a lot for a hardtop unless it was complete with all the trim pieces.

Glassworks has front latches for $121.00 each: http://www.thehardtopshop.com/parts/...andle-l-h.html
Old 03-24-2015, 08:55 PM
bondguy
Instructor

Although, most of the hardtop components are available through places like Glassworks, they can be pricey. You also might get lucky and find parts on ebay. I wouldn't pay a lot for a hardtop unless it was complete with all the trim pieces.

Glassworks has front latches for $121.00 each: http://www.thehardtopshop.com/parts/...andle-l-h.html
I know this is going to be a vague question…but wondering how much a hardtop in good shape should cost me? I know that's like asking how much a Corvette in 1965 should cost and that number can vary a LOT…but, the top without latches has original glass date coded and appears to be in nice shape. The red headliner is that sort of "not super bright" red but the more toned down color which is like the red color of my seats in my car. Paint looks great in pix and even the Plexi looks pretty nice in pics. And, I also saw another top that does have latches but it's not the right color so although paint is in great shape, I would have to get it painted (figure that would be I'm guessing about $400-$500 for a nice repaint)
Old 03-24-2015, 09:18 PM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

2018 C2 of Year Finalist

I know this is going to be a vague question…but wondering how much a hardtop in good shape should cost me? I know that's like asking how much a Corvette in 1965 should cost and that number can vary a LOT…but, the top without latches has original glass date coded and appears to be in nice shape. The red headliner is that sort of "not super bright" red but the more toned down color which is like the red color of my seats in my car. Paint looks great in pix and even the Plexi looks pretty nice in pics. And, I also saw another top that does have latches but it's not the right color so although paint is in great shape, I would have to get it painted (figure that would be I'm guessing about $400-$500 for a nice repaint)
I would say that what you’re asking is a decision only you can make, in other words, what you’re willing to pay? I would use the $3300 purchase price of a fully restored hardtop from Glassworks as a benchmark. Then deduct the cost of what needs to be replaced or refurbished. Check out the link below to see what’s included in their price.

http://www.thehardtopshop.com/catego...e-hardtop.html
Old 03-27-2015, 09:25 PM
bondguy
Instructor

I would say that what you’re asking is a decision only you can make, in other words, what you’re willing to pay? I would use the $3300 purchase price of a fully restored hardtop from Glassworks as a benchmark. Then deduct the cost of what needs to be replaced or refurbished. Check out the link below to see what’s included in their price.

http://www.thehardtopshop.com/catego...e-hardtop.html
here's the pix
Attached Images     

Last edited by bondguy; 03-27-2015 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:06 AM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

2018 C2 of Year Finalist

I guess the real question is what does the seller want for the top and have you seen it in person?

Aside from the obvious missing latches, the second pic indicates at least some of the weather-stripping needs to be replaced. The pic of the plexiglass doesn’t give enough definition to see if it has any crazing or webbing? Pics don’t show the lower side brackets or other hardware. The stainless moldings shown in the pics appear to be in good shape.

Based on needing to paint the top, replace the latches, some weather-stripping and miscellaneous hardware, you could easily sink $1,500 into it. So, is the asking price plus $1,500 an amount you’re willing to pay? Remember, a totally refurbished top from Glassworks would be $3,300.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:16 AM
bondguy
Instructor

I guess the real question is what does the seller want for the top and have you seen it in person?

Aside from the obvious missing latches, the second pic indicates at least some of the weather-stripping needs to be replaced. The pic of the plexiglass doesn’t give enough definition to see if it has any crazing or webbing? Pics don’t show the lower side brackets or other hardware. The stainless moldings shown in the pics appear to be in good shape.

Based on needing to paint the top, replace the latches, some weather-stripping and miscellaneous hardware, you could easily sink $1,500 into it. So, is the asking price plus $1,500 an amount you’re willing to pay? Remember, a totally refurbished top from Glassworks would be $3,300.
He wants $1,800 plus crate and ship charge…but I agree with you…rubber on front left side is torn…paint may be from a 64 color match so may not be Rally Red…so now you have to paint it (possibly). I can buy another top locally here about 2 hours from me that is white with red interior..rubber looks good in pics but I can drive to see it. At least you know if you have to paint it will match correctly. And, no shipping fees.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:53 PM
midstyle
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

From the 1965 NCRS manual: Dec '64 would have "D" (for year) in lower left; and "L" (for month) in upper right. But assuming your top would have plexiglas manufactured in November '64, (NCRS says typical dates seen up to 4 months prior to build) would see "K" upper right and "D" lower left. Format changes again for Sept and Oct: 64 (year) and 9 (month = Sept); 10 for Oct. Doesn't say what comes first or where located, so maybe at bottom, like the one you're looking at.

Here's mine on a Aug 2nd '65 produced car. Not the original top but I lucked out with E year (1965) and E month (May). So I can't complain.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:00 PM
bondguy
Instructor

What is your opinion on this top? Would have to paint it Rally Red…not sure how much that would cost…guessing about $300-$500 (and do they need to remove all chrome or just tape it off and it would look fine)?
Attached Images       

Last edited by bondguy; 03-28-2015 at 06:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1965 Corvette Hardtop Date Code

Quick Reply: 1965 Corvette Hardtop Date Code