C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Vent Window Vertical Weatherstrip Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 08:35 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Default Vent Window Vertical Weatherstrip Help

Hi

I知 building up my vent window frames and the vertical weatherstrip, channel and felt channel liner are giving me fits. What am I missing here???????

I知 assuming that the top two tabs of the vertical weatherstrip protrude through the channel and channel liner than get bent over to hold the all three pieces in place. I have clamped the vertical weatherstrip, channel and felt channel liner down bent these tabs over four times now and when I remove the clamp the felt channel liner pops out. See picture.

What am I doing wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm using the pre-bent felt liners.

Thanks
Dennis
Attached Images  
Old 04-24-2015, 10:11 PM
j_66chevelle
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

The aftermarket weather-stripping is actually pretty bad for C2s, for my Chevelle they had everything and it fit perfectly.

Because the vertical strip does not fit well and I'm doing a resto mod I added additional rivets where the tabs reside to hold the piece in place
Old 04-24-2015, 11:28 PM
project63
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr D.
Hi

I’m building up my vent window frames and the vertical weatherstrip, channel and felt channel liner are giving me fits. What am I missing here???????

I’m assuming that the top two tabs of the vertical weatherstrip protrude through the channel and channel liner than get bent over to hold the all three pieces in place. I have clamped the vertical weatherstrip, channel and felt channel liner down bent these tabs over four times now and when I remove the clamp the felt channel liner pops out. See picture.

What am I doing wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm using the pre-bent felt liners.

Thanks
Dennis
You are doing it correctly, but the fitment of the channel is terrible. I finally gave up and put a couple dabs of JB weld under the channel to bond it down. Do this, clamp it, and let it cure for a couple of days before you try to rivet the lower part of the section in place.

Here is another tip...loose those rivets and use a couple of #8 countersunk head machine screws and with nuts to secure the lower section. The c'sink head will nest into the dimple in the felt channel and be flush with the inside of the run.

tc

Last edited by project63; 04-24-2015 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:34 PM
RK-TECT
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mr. D,
If I remember correctly, small screws were substituted for the rivets or tabs to ensure a tight and long-lasting fit. After I had the frames re-chromed, I decided to bring them to "the master" with much more experience than me... Mike Coletta. I'm fortunate that we both live in the Sunshine State, so it was a no-brainer for me. He installed the felts and the "L" rubber weatherstrips for me, too. Those suckers are an even bigger PITA!! I think he completed both vent windows in about 20 minutes while eating lunch, reading the newspaper, and wearing a blindfold. Amazing!
Old 04-25-2015, 08:11 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Thanks Guys

Get notified of new replies

To Vent Window Vertical Weatherstrip Help

Quick Reply: Vent Window Vertical Weatherstrip Help