C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What's it worth? - '67 L71 non-matching

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 08:57 AM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Fawndeuce
As I'm sure you know, there is no VIN on a tank sticker, so you have to tie it to any given car by other means and with other documentation.
A car with complete documentation would have the the original bill of sale listing options, the POP, the tank sheet, the owner history with service records and titles corroborating it all, and NCRS shipping data report to confirm the above is/are real etc... the more expensive or "rare" the car, the more important it all becomes.
Thanks for the elaboration. The previous post had come across as wondering if the OP was not honest (you don't know him so you question the authenticity of the tank sticker).

Me personally, I'm not interested in NOM Corvettes, unless I were building a restomod, so I wouldn't pay a premium for one missing the original engine. But some would. Not sure why people value partial rare Ferrari's that begins with a frame, is rebuilt to what it was and suddenly it's a whole Ferrari, but hey, some people value that that partial car was that rare Ferrari, or Corvette L71. The OP here puts forth the tank sticker. And in the end, all those supporting docs you listed could be as questionable as you had previously suggested the tank sticker might be.

In the end, having a tank sticker, looking over a car, is much better than having no tank sticker at all. As far as supporting docs, could the OP get the NCRS shipping data report to confirm the dates I see on the tank sticker?
Old 06-16-2015, 09:06 AM
Buttonhead
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The NCRS shipping data report and their validation of the tank sticker have nothing to do with each other.

Hey Ken, the cat is out of the bag, you can tell us now that you got your J56 brakes and documentation for your L71 on Craigslist! HA

Last edited by Buttonhead; 06-16-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:21 AM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Fawndeuce
A car with complete documentation would have the the original bill of sale listing options, the POP, the tank sheet, the owner history with service records and titles corroborating it all, and NCRS shipping data report to confirm the above is/are real etc... the more expensive or "rare" the car, the more important it all becomes.
I don't think the above list is a "complete" set of documentation (if what we are talking about is documentation from GM). In addition to the above, I would want to see both a copy of the dealer invoice document and the Copy Order #7 (which is similar to the tank sticker but DOES have the VIN and a lot of other data on it that the tank sticker itself does not). Not many cars have either though.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:29 AM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Buttonhead
The NCRS shipping data report and their validation of the tank sticker have nothing to do with each other
So no data on the tank sticker (in the upper fields) could be confirmed in any data on the NCRS shipping data report?
Old 06-16-2015, 09:40 AM
Buttonhead
Racer

Originally Posted by ifitgoesfast
So no data on the tank sticker (in the upper fields) could be confirmed in any data on the NCRS shipping data report?
The only item on the tank sticker that the shipping data report has is the zone and dealer number. Those items are not used in authenticating the tank sticker. The shipping data report just shows what dealer the car was shipped to.

I am folding my tent too. This has been beat to death.

Last edited by Buttonhead; 06-16-2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:25 PM
Nicola
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Moral of the story you ask...
C2 BB are a jungle
LOL
Old 06-17-2015, 08:55 AM
Buttonhead
Racer

Originally Posted by Nicola
Moral of the story you ask...
C2 BB are a jungle
LOL
Not if you do your due diligence and know what you are looking at. My last word on the subject is a coincidnece. Yesterday I received an offer from a dealer for my 1967 GOODWOOD GREEN Documented L71 coupe with correct but NOM. $117,500. I turned it down.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:36 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttonhead
The only item on the tank sticker that the shipping data report has is the zone and dealer number. Those items are not used in authenticating the tank sticker. The shipping data report just shows what dealer the car was shipped to.

I am folding my tent too. This has been beat to death.
Not really. There's another column on the Shipping Report data that isn't shared with anyone (Ident Number) - that's the single positive link between a particular car's VIN and the tank sticker that allows the car and the sticker to be authenticated to each other (assuming the corner of the sticker with the Ident Number is still there). That same number can also validate the window sticker and the Car Shipper.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:13 PM
Buttonhead
Racer

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Not really. There's another column on the Shipping Report data that isn't shared with anyone (Ident Number) - that's the single positive link between a particular car's VIN and the tank sticker that allows the car and the sticker to be authenticated to each other (assuming the corner of the sticker with the Ident Number is still there). That same number can also validate the window sticker and the Car Shipper.
John, I agree with you 100%. The ident number is the key. Soome folks are implying that the shipping data report will give you info to make a counterfeit tank sticker.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:00 AM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 268 Posts

Looks like everyone who said low 40's was correct.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:43 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tom McCabe
Looks like everyone who said low 40's was correct.
Put your Corvette up for auction, wait a few days, and come back and let me know if you agree with the bidders if it doesn't meet reserve. Is that the value? I watch Chasing Classics as much as I can. Do you know how many times Wayne has had bidders not even come close to reserve at one auction, and go well over at another?

Right day, right place, right bidders

edit to add Reserve Not Met for numerous 1967's, several of which were well under bid:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cars-Trucks-...c&LH_Auction=1

Last edited by ifitgoesfast; 06-18-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:30 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

Its relisted again. Ebay really lets people see it and a lot contact the seller later after it doesn't sell.

The OP asked for opinions and got many different ones.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:07 PM
oldgold49er
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Tank sticker

Please correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the 3 digit number written by hand, on the tank sticker co-relate to the vin # in MOST cases? Usually within + - 2 or 3 digits?
My 67 has the # 312 on the tank sticker, and my vin # is 6314. I know that this # is the build #, but in cars with tank stickers I have seen, the numbers are very close. Comments? What # is on your sticker, and is it close to the vin's last 3 digits?
Thanks for clearing this up for me.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:44 PM
Velox
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgold49er
Please correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the 3 digit number written by hand, on the tank sticker co-relate to the vin # in MOST cases?
NO..... This has been discussed many times here, NCRS.org and other forums. The myth of subtract 500 from your VIN last 3 and get to within a number of two of the hand written tank sticker number is... myth. JohnZ has answered this question many times here, he is probably tired of repeating his answer. The hand written number was called the Final Assembly Sequence Number and located the car in sequence from where it was loaded on the Hard Trim Line (where it got the VIN and trim tag) to where it reached the Final Line where it was driven off to Roll Test. JohnZ has stated and restated, there is NO relationship between the hand written number on 67 Tank Stickers and the VIN number
Old 06-18-2015, 09:16 PM
oldgold49er
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Velox
NO..... This has been discussed many times here, NCRS.org and other forums. The myth of subtract 500 from your VIN last 3 and get to within a number of two of the hand written tank sticker number is... myth. JohnZ has answered this question many times here, he is probably tired of repeating his answer. The hand written number was called the Final Assembly Sequence Number and located the car in sequence from where it was loaded on the Hard Trim Line (where it got the VIN and trim tag) to where it reached the Final Line where it was driven off to Roll Test. JohnZ has stated and restated, there is NO relationship between the hand written number on 67 Tank Stickers and the VIN number
Did not mean to get you all excited, and no doubt that John is correct, but I have yet to see an original sticker with the vin not close to the #. Have you?
I have owned (3) 1967 cars and all had the number on the sticker within 2 #'s of the vin. Must have just been luck.
I would just ask folks that have an original sticker to look at the numbers and see what is there thats all. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:33 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgold49er
Did not mean to get you all excited, and no doubt that John is correct, but I have yet to see an original sticker with the vin not close to the #. Have you?
I have owned (3) 1967 cars and all had the number on the sticker within 2 #'s of the vin. Must have just been luck.
I would just ask folks that have an original sticker to look at the numbers and see what is there thats all. Thanks.
It might hold true for the first 2/3000 as orders were assigned #'S from 1 to 500 then started over again so the sequence would get farther & farther off.

Quick Reply: What's it worth? - '67 L71 non-matching