C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Cracked Bellhousing: repair?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 04:04 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,334 Posts

Originally Posted by alexandervdr
I checked minimum clearance of flywheel to bell housing, and that's slightly more than 1/8". Would that be fine?
Since neither the flywheel or the bell housing flexes very much at all, that would sound like adequate clearance. I have no idea what the factory specification would have been for that clearance, but it would not have been very much, as more clearance than necessary makes for a larger bell housing which is heavier, more costly, and would result in a need for more transmission tunnel space.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:05 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,645 Likes on 1,974 Posts

Hard to believe that it would deflect that much under jacking loads and then elastically recover. Maybe someone took a mallet or pry bar to it later and bent it back.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:05 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
Hard to believe that it would deflect that much under jacking loads and then elastically recover. Maybe someone took a mallet or pry bar to it later and bent it back.
That is exactly what I believe that happened
Old 07-06-2015, 06:22 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Just to keep you guys updated: the bell housing is on and all is fine now.
after the repair I checked first the Bellhousing alignment. I measured 0.005" which is exactly at the max of the spec. So I decided to tackle that, and bought some 0.007" offset dowels (expensive, but worth it). It took me 12 adjustment cycles and the good part of an afternoon to get it right (now I am at 0.002). That included double checking everything, like taking the bell off and putting it back on to see the variances. In case you wonder, the numbers in my notes are in in 1/100 mm. The position of the dowels are coded with the hour indication off a clock. As you can see the last measurement was almost 0 all around. But that does not hold once you take the bell off and put it back on. But still under 0.002.
Once that done, I checked if the bolt plane of the bell housing was orthogonal to the crankshaft. Luckily it was, otherwise I would have needed to resurface the housing at an angle. I measured both around the mating perimeter and at the extreme ends. All were less than .002 .
Attached Images      
Old 07-06-2015, 07:21 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,334 Posts

Well done. I doubt that one in a hundred would do that level of checks, but then, you did have a smoking gun.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:43 AM
Auto Gear
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful work and good to see you followed through with the dial indicator. Kudos to your welder too!
Old 07-06-2015, 02:15 PM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
Well done. I doubt that one in a hundred would do that level of checks, but then, you did have a smoking gun.
Even without the crack, I would have done it! My perspective: as much as I adore restoring and rebuilding a car, I ABSOLUTELY hate maintenance once a car is on the road. This is my second car build , after the 4 year project of a Cobra replica. Only problem I had on that one over a period of 3 years and 8000 miles was some suspension bolts that had to be tightened because I had forgotten to do so when assembling (NEVER mount stuff 'provisionally ' to see how it fits is the lesson I learned here) . I want reliability, and try to eliminate as much as possible causes of future problems that arise when taking shortcuts. It's a lot of work now, but much less than later should there appear to be a problem

Last edited by alexandervdr; 07-06-2015 at 02:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Cracked Bellhousing: repair?