C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

adjusting headlight bucket

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 09:18 PM
BK N 66
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default adjusting headlight bucket

i asked on a earlier post if anyone could tell me how to adjust the
headlight buckets on my 66 coupe? i received one replay showing me
a video on installing all new buckets and all new bucket parts.

this video did not show how to adjust the buckets only showed how to
install all new bucket parts.

was wondering if anyone could tell me how hard it is to adjust drivers side bucket? i heard it was a real pain in the *** to get to the
adjustment? i just need to have the bucket close just a hair more to
line up with the passenger side bucket. can i do this my self or should
i take the car to a shop and let them do it? i really dont want to take
the whole front of the car apart just to get to the adjustment?

any recommendations are appreciated. also do i turn the adjustment
right or left to close the bucket slightly? thanks for any help.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:08 AM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,033 Likes on 672 Posts

Actually, in your other thread, you did get good advice on how to adjust the headlight pods. That adjustment is in the small hex head bolts of the 'Y' stop. You didn't mention any side to side play or misalignment which is another set of adjustments but to get the headlight pods to rotate more or less, the fix is done by turning those hex head bolts as needed. With the grill or hood in place it's not easy but it can be done. Don't know anyone in the East Bay Area that could do the job other than a place Precision Motive in Hayward, owned by Pat Hendrix I believe.
Mike T - Prescott AZ

Last edited by Vet65te; 07-03-2015 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:19 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,946 Likes on 4,785 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Your going to need a 7/16 socket in 1/4 drive with a long extension and a swivel. A mirror and light. Some patients will help as well.

Did you look in the AIM and service manual like I posted in your last thread.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:04 PM
Velox
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by BK N 66
i asked on a earlier post if anyone could tell me how to adjust the headlight buckets on my 66 coupe?
As others have noted above it's a simple adjustment, just need a 1/4 drive and a 7/16 socket and patience. I have done this many times and it doesn't require "take the whole front of the car apart." The adjustment is the Y-stop which is mounted on the bucket shaft with the Y part at the forward position (towards front of car) hence not easy to see with mirrors but when you know where it is, quite easy to feel the up and down adjustment screws. The upper screw changes the open position, the lower screw changes the closed position. First time I wanted to do this I just could not picture the assembly well enough so I removed the headlight motors - very simple to do, one clip, one wiring connector, one screw with ground wire and support brace. Rotate the brace out of the way, slide the motor off the shaft, you don't have to remove the motor just gently lay it down on your grill out of the way inside the nose area somewhere. This makes it a little easier to see and feel the Y-stop screws. Once you know where they are and have been able to get a 1/4 drive on them, easy to rotate the screws a little bit, then move the buckets and see where the stop positions have changed. Give it a try!

Name:  Adj.JPG
Views: 390
Size:  210.9 KB

Get notified of new replies

To adjusting headlight bucket

Quick Reply: adjusting headlight bucket