C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

DELCO REMY coil paint/oil questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 10:37 AM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Default DELCO REMY coil paint/oil questions

C2 OEM DELCO REMY coil questions:

1. Is the metal housing painted black (if yes, what kind of paint), or dipped into something else?

2. The top I assume is bakelite. Can it be removed to refill the oil? I know that with much older coils, there would be a screw at the top which you could remove and refill with oil; not sure about the C2 coils and don't want to break it (I don't yet have the coil in question needing reconditioning).

3. The oil inside an ignition coil (which is a step-up transformer) is transformer oil. Is there a specific type of transformer oil that DELCO used for these?

Last edited by ifitgoesfast; 08-14-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:04 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by ifitgoesfast
C2 OEM DELCO REMY coil questions:

1. Is the metal housing painted black (if yes, what kind of paint), or dipped into something else?

2. The top I assume is bakelite. Can it be removed to refill the oil? I know that with much older coils, there would be a screw at the top which you could remove and refill with oil; not sure about the C2 coils and don't want to break it (I don't yet have the coil in question needing reconditioning).

3. The oil inside an ignition coil (which is a step-up transformer) is transformer oil. Is there a specific type of transformer oil that DELCO used for these?
Most C2 coils were gloss black. They generally faded to semi-gloss black over time.

The top is generally Bakelite, although a few (aftermarket) coils used a alkyd material that was better. The only person I know that has successfully rebuilt the coils is Goat Hill Classics in California. I believe he cut the top in a lathe, and installed new internals in a new reproduction can. He may have reused internals.........not exactly sure anymore. Paul probably still does this, but the market sort of went away when reproduction coils appeared.

The (very) old transformer oils likely contained chlorinated bi-phenyls..........now considered to be quite toxic. This phaseout/replacement with other transformer oils occurred many years ago, although there are probably still some old commercial transformers still out there with the old oil.

Bottom line: Look for a good used original, call Paul, or buy a repro (preferably USA made).

FWIW.

Larry

Last edited by Powershift; 08-14-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:28 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Powershift
Most C2 coils were gloss black. They generally faded to semi-gloss black over time.

Larry
Exactly right IMO. Just procured an NOS "087" coil for the '63....its glossy but I'm sure it will fade out after a time...
Old 08-17-2015, 08:52 AM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Were DELCO coils spray painted or dipped in paint? I know that some of the parts, mostly brackets, some support rods, and small things like that were dipped into a bucket of paint. I've looked at several NOS coils which are still glossy, and I can't determine if they were painted. They kind of look dipped, thought I don't see any paint runs, which is why I'm asking.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:31 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by ifitgoesfast
Were DELCO coils spray painted or dipped in paint? I know that some of the parts, mostly brackets, some support rods, and small things like that were dipped into a bucket of paint. I've looked at several NOS coils which are still glossy, and I can't determine if they were painted. They kind of look dipped, thought I don't see any paint runs, which is why I'm asking.
They were spray-painted at Delco-Remy.

Get notified of new replies

To DELCO REMY coil paint/oil questions

Quick Reply: DELCO REMY coil paint/oil questions