C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'65 tail light bulb

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 12:43 PM
xsray
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default '65 tail light bulb

the left outer tail light bulb burned out so i got Philips 1157 to replace, the one thatwas in there was a 2057. the problem is that it does not make good contact. i can push down on the bulb and it works. is this the correct replacement? what can i do to make the bulb sit down deeper to make better contact?
Old 08-16-2015, 01:08 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,234 Likes on 2,310 Posts

Physically they are interchangeable. One is slightly brighter, but I don't remember which. If pressing down makes it work, you aren't making connection with either the contacts on the bulb, or the base of the bulb to the socket. Take a look at the "nubs" on the bottom and make sure they are as long as they should be, look at the contacts down in the socket and see if they are corroded or pressed down too far. Make sure the pins on the side of the bulb are sliding correctly into the slots that hold the bulb in and make the ground contact. As far as the bulb contacts, I have added solder to the connection to make them longer, but I think I'd compare to the bulb you took out and see if the tip looks about the same length. Something in the socket loose or corroded is most likely.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:28 PM
xsray
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good idea about the solder. the contacts in the socket look like they are compressed too much. no corrosion and the pins are sliding correctly. Thank you.

Get notified of new replies

To '65 tail light bulb

Quick Reply: '65 tail light bulb