C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Universal power window kit in a 66 coupe possible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 06:56 PM
Brad-SixTsix
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Universal power window kit in a 66 coupe possible?

Hi all,

I'm currently working the doors on my 66 coupe. The car has the original manual windows. I want power windows but the conversion kits are pricey.

There are several different universal kits that have great reviews but I haven't seen any installed in a c2.
So I'm just wondering, is there anything that might prevent a universal kit from working? I have all the tools and talent necessary.

I just don't want to waste the time if there's no way they'll work, or if they require too many changes to the door or window?
Old 08-19-2015, 07:26 AM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad-SixTsix
Hi all,

I'm currently working the doors on my 66 coupe. The car has the original manual windows. I want power windows but the conversion kits are pricey.

There are several different universal kits that have great reviews but I haven't seen any installed in a c2.
So I'm just wondering, is there anything that might prevent a universal kit from working? I have all the tools and talent necessary.

I just don't want to waste the time if there's no way they'll work, or if they require too many changes to the door or window?
I'm pretty good at fabrication but I've tried to put these in my 67 and have just about run out of patience. The doors just don't have enough room in them. Do yourself a favor and buy the ones that bolt right in. You will save yourself a lot of grief.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:33 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Cheaping out on things almost never pays off. Windows, especially coupe windows, are tricky enough....pay the money and get a kit that somebody else has gone to the trouble to prototype and figure out the tough issues....

AutoCity and SPW both make Corvette kits; if you know somebody in the restoration biz they can get a setup with a nice, fat discount
Old 08-19-2015, 08:18 AM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Cheaping out on things almost never pays off. Windows, especially coupe windows, are tricky enough....pay the money and get a kit that somebody else has gone to the trouble to prototype and figure out the tough issues....

AutoCity and SPW both make Corvette kits; if you know somebody in the restoration biz they can get a setup with a nice, fat discount
It's not the cheaping out factor. The newer window mechanisms are much better than the older scissor types but they are just too much work in the C2 doors. They work great in older hot rods that have big doors.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:33 AM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,033 Likes on 672 Posts

Brad - The original 'scissors-style' power window mechanisms work very well in midyears and solid axles. When I added PW to my 65 Coupe nearly 25 years ago I was able to find an original set from another midyear, used but not worn out. The aftermarket versions from SPW and AutoCity have good reputations but you should check out the old archived threads on the subject for potential issues on switches and conduits. I'm in the process of adding the Autocity kit to my 61 Vette now and since the instructions provided aren't very detailed, I've relied on fellow Forum Members like Mike Coletta, Frankie and Jusplainwacky for assistance. There's quite a bit of experience to draw from for projects like these on the Forum.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 08-19-2015, 09:47 AM
Brad-SixTsix
Instructor

Thanks everyone,

So last night (before I checked for any replies to this post) I ordered a universal power window kit. I figured for $60 it might be worth the try. Just checked and found a few of you have replied and made some very good points.

The only reason why I am still going to try is because the kit I bought does not require anything inside the door to be changed. The regulator actually attaches to the outside of the door (Between the door and the door panel) and turns the original manual wheel. So this should be interesting. I'm going to have custom door panels made anyways so it just might work. I'll let you all know this weekend whether or not it was worth it.

Last edited by Brad-SixTsix; 08-19-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:53 PM
Brad-SixTsix
Instructor

Ok,

So I got my power window kit and I think it will work. I was hoping to have at least one door done this weekend.....However, I started poking around and realized I needed to rebuild the entire window assy....then I realized the trim was bad.....

Any suggestions on material to replace the old velvety stuff in the window tracks? I don't care about original, I just need something that works.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:34 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad-SixTsix
Any suggestions on material to replace the old velvety stuff in the window tracks? I don't care about original, I just need something that works.
Jo-Ann Fabrics or Michael's have several grades/thicknesses of black velvet; that's what I've always used in place of the too-thick reproduction glass channel liner material.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:43 PM
Brad-SixTsix
Instructor

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Jo-Ann Fabrics or Michael's have several grades/thicknesses of black velvet; that's what I've always used in place of the too-thick reproduction glass channel liner material.
Awesome, I was wondering about that but I wasn't sure it would hold up. Now I know. I've actually got some on hand but it might be too thin....what thickness did you use for the forward and rear tracks?
Old 08-24-2015, 12:59 AM
Brad-SixTsix
Instructor

I got the universal power window conversion kit installed. It turned out to be a breeze. It operates quickly and smoothly, couldn't be happier. It doesn't look the greatest but when the door panel is on you'll never know. I also installed a power lock actuator while I was in there.

XO power window conversion kit ,$60 shipped on Amazon

Last edited by Brad-SixTsix; 08-24-2015 at 03:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Diablo427 (12-30-2020)
Old 08-25-2015, 06:46 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I have to say I've never seen that 'get up' before. Its almost not horrible.

So - does the chrome crank handle whip around by itself during operation ?
Or does a slight movement of the handle activate the system (there IS a kit with that feature) and it then stays put. 15 degree movement of the crank handle in either direction starts the motor up or down.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:43 AM
Brad-SixTsix
Instructor

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I have to say I've never seen that 'get up' before. Its almost not horrible.

So - does the chrome crank handle whip around by itself during operation ?
Or does a slight movement of the handle activate the system (there IS a kit with that feature) and it then stays put. 15 degree movement of the crank handle in either direction starts the motor up or down.
Yeah It's not the greatest looking. Once the custom door panel is on everything will be covered and it will be just like a PW car, (no crank on the door). If you use the existing door panel the kit came with black covers to go over the crank (and the new blue gear adapter).

The kit came with the standard 2 place window switch you typically see in the center console of the Vette, only it's not chrome.

Here's a brief video I made showing the window operating:
The following users liked this post:
Diablo427 (12-30-2020)
Old 08-25-2015, 11:56 AM
Joe Inama
Drifting

Received 327 Likes on 159 Posts

Stay away from the aftermarket crap. Install vette factory parts. I installed power in my 63 vette. I bought all the parts on ebay. easy install.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:47 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,039 Likes on 1,252 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Inama
Stay away from the aftermarket crap. Install vette factory parts. I installed power in my 63 vette. I bought all the parts on ebay. easy install.
Exactly. I added factory PW to my 67 convertible using used original parts I bought and refurbished. Everything fit perfectly.

Get notified of new replies

To Universal power window kit in a 66 coupe possible?

Quick Reply: Universal power window kit in a 66 coupe possible?