C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What's the best way to trim carpet up around the consle so the raw edge does not show

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 05:05 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Default What's the best way to trim carpet up around the consle so the raw edge does not show

This has probably happen on several C1’s. When cutting the carpet around the console you cut it to short and with console in place, the raw edge of the carpet is showing in places. That’s the case with my 63. The fellow putting the carpet cut it to short on each side of the shifter. Since I’ve sent my console off to be replated, I decided I would fix the carpet. At first I called Knoch to see if they would sell single pieces of the carpet and they said they would and that she would send a diagram with the pieces number so I could pick out the correct pieces. After thinking about it awhile, knowing that since my carpet is old and color would not match, I decided to remove existing side pieces, side them up about ½” and reglue. Some of the carpet backing tore off but not much as he did not use a lot of cement. So what’s the trick in trimming the carpet at top. I guess wait till I get the console pieces back, lay them in place and somehow mark where to cut. Sure do not want to make the mistake the guy before me did.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:13 PM
GEM '62
Drifting

Received 581 Likes on 229 Posts

Frankie just posted that information a couple days age.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...61-carpet.html
Old 08-20-2015, 05:23 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Here is my original '63 carpet during my A/C install.....I think you are real close -- not sure you need to trim a thing.

You do realize you just tuck that carpet under the console ? Right ? You don't want to cut it right to the edge of the metal...carpet goes under the metal. If you DO have to trim a fresh single-edged blade is the way to go...
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 08-20-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:13 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

The picture I show is after I have pulled the carpet up 1/2". So I will see how it fits when I get the console, thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To What's the best way to trim carpet up around the consle so the raw edge does not show

Quick Reply: What's the best way to trim carpet up around the consle so the raw edge does not show