C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

66 SB - Where does heater fan draw it's air?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 09:02 PM
rwerth7
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 66 SB - Where does heater fan draw it's air?

Just got my 66 sb back from the body shop where it was stripped down to the fiberglass and repainted.

First time I turned on the heater fan I got a huge cloud of body shop dust in the car. Body shop did a great job on the paint but they either forgot to block of the heater fan intake or clean it out after they were all finished.

So what can I do to prevent further dust storms in the car?
Old 08-24-2015, 09:13 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by rwerth7
Just got my 66 sb back from the body shop where it was stripped down to the fiberglass and repainted.

First time I turned on the heater fan I got a huge cloud of body shop dust in the car. Body shop did a great job on the paint but they either forgot to block of the heater fan intake or clean it out after they were all finished.

Subject to someone who knows better than I the heater takes the majority of its air from the cowl vents. Body shop should have taped off. My guy did the same thing on my 56 Cadillac, pulled the vents and filled the car with powdered body filler and whatever else. I took a hose & washed mine out, see no reason why you couldn't do likewise.

Dan
Old 08-24-2015, 09:14 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

If the "pull for air" **** is pulled out, the outside air is drawn through the vent below the windshield wipers. Sounds like maybe that's where the dust settled.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:04 AM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
If the "pull for air" **** is pulled out, the outside air is drawn through the vent below the windshield wipers. Sounds like maybe that's where the dust settled.

The OP didn't ask about the pull for air ****, he asked about the heater blower. My response was that heater air is drawn in from the cowl vent, and the body shop debris likely settled in the vent baffles and heater box.

Dan
Old 08-25-2015, 10:00 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dplotkin
The OP didn't ask about the pull for air ****, he asked about the heater blower. My response was that heater air is drawn in from the cowl vent, and the body shop debris likely settled in the vent baffles and heater box.

Dan
Maybe he didn't ask because he didn't know it was a possibility. The heater blower air source changes depending on the position of that cable/****.
I don't know why my post apparently irritates you. The same vents you are talking about is where the air is drawn into the heater box to blow into the cabin when the 'air-pull" **** on the fan switch is pulled out. If the cable is pushed in, the cabin air is recirculated. I'm not talking about a/c, I'm talking air vent from the outside that all c2's have. My response and yours are not in conflict, we both think the dust is being pulled from the cavity below the cowl vents.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:14 AM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't know why my post apparently irritates you... we both think the dust is being pulled from the cavity below the cowl vents.

Agreed. I often see posts here where someone seems to answer a question as though the poster above who did likewise...didn't.

No harm, no fowl, chalk it up to oversensitivity on my part.

Dan
Old 08-25-2015, 10:18 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dplotkin
Agreed. I often see posts here where someone seems to answer a question as though the poster above who did likewise...didn't.

No harm, no fowl, chalk it up to oversensitivity on my part.

Dan
Your original post wasn't there when I was typing my answer, if you look at the times, they are within a minute. I didn't intend to step on any toes.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:37 AM
rwerth7
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Guys lets not be over sensitive. I just ask where the dust comes from. Multiple answers were the cowls underneath the windshield wipers. That's what I needed to know and that is what I will clean out. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:25 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Guys lets not be over sensitive. I just ask where the dust comes from. Multiple answers were the cowls underneath the windshield wipers. That's what I needed to know and that is what I will clean out. Thanks.
There have only been two responders, and we agree about the source. The body shop should have rinsed out the cowl cavities before returning the car. If the water vents in the cowls are clear, you can still rinse the space out with a hose without a problem. The water should drain out under the firewall.

The dust that's already been pulled into the heater box will have to gradually clear itself into your cabin.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:16 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Your original post wasn't there when I was typing my answer, if you look at the times, they are within a minute. I didn't intend to step on any toes.

I realize that now and wish I had bothered to look beforehand...nice of you to point that out.

Dan
Old 08-25-2015, 04:00 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

To clarify, the heater and A/C system airflow patterns are different. The heater system operates only on outside air, which enters the blower from the plenum below the wiper grille; if the heater system has the "air" door closed (Air-Def **** pushed all the way in), no outside air is allowed inside the car, and there is no setting that will allow use of inside air.

With factory A/C, there ARE two air entry paths - outside air is admitted through the plenum below the wiper grille, into the A/C adapter assembly which replaces the passenger side kickpad vent, into the blower. Inside air provides max cooling when the door in the adapter assembly swings the other way, admitting air from inside the car and none from the outside.
Attached Images   

Get notified of new replies

To 66 SB - Where does heater fan draw it's air?

Quick Reply: 66 SB - Where does heater fan draw it's air?