C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Vintage Air... Heat

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 10:29 PM
SledgeHammer 2.0
Drifting

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

Default Vintage Air... Heat

Okay, this is embarrassing, but last winter I drove my Corvette around (1966) and couldn't figure out how to get the Heat to work. We have a couple of months (or more) before any kind of cold gets here, but does anyone know how the Heat works on the older Vintage Air systems?

As far as I remember mine works strictly of the original *****, The left one controls fan speed, compressor on and off and the right one was for the defrost or vent, It just pulls in and out. It has a **** under the glove box to set the temp of the evap, kicking the compressor on and off.
I can't figure out how to work the heat. The Vintage Air site was no Help.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:16 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Have you tried calling their tech line? I've used them a lot in the past doing installations and they're very helpful and more than willing to assist. If you go to their site and click on "Contact" link, the numbers should be there.

Tech line toll free number 1-800-862-6658

Good luck... GUSTO

Last edited by GUSTO14; 08-25-2015 at 11:20 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:34 PM
SledgeHammer 2.0
Drifting

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

Thanks, I gave them a call. Evidently mine has problems, Hopefully minor ones. They told me how to troubleshoot it... Another project.. yea...
Old 08-26-2015, 06:14 PM
kingwoodvette
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

You may have a problem similar to mine. To operate the heater, you pull out the left hand fan control. This not only opens the hot water valve but closes the damper that directs air to the floor vents instead the AC vents. On mine with this control pushed in for AC the damper does not full close and some of the Cold air is sent to the floor vents. I can remove the glove box and manually close the damper for full AC vent flow. However when I do this, I am unable to pull the fan switch out for heater operation. Out comes the glove box so I can crack the damper open a bit and the switch/cable will pull all the way out and I get proper heater operation.

There is something about the geometry of the cable actuated lever arm on the damper that will not allow it to open if the damper is in the full AC mode. A very small movement on the lever will allow the cable to operate correctly. Pretty much a pia to go from cool to heat. Good news is that it only happens twice a year. In fact here in Houston I often never use the heater. Good old engine cabin heat us often enough. lol

Get notified of new replies

To Vintage Air... Heat

Quick Reply: Vintage Air... Heat