C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

"Your Corvette, Is It A Split-Window ?"

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 06:46 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,847 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by rayvaflav
Wha Ha Ha ! I started this thread about 24 hours ago because while at a party the previous night, a friend of mine who knows a little about old cars asked me that question, about the '66 coupe that I have been working on, that I have owned for about six years now, that he has ridden in ... "That's a Split Window, right ?" ... and late today, at my dental appointment, my dentist, who enjoys old cars and drives a '70's Porsche Carrera asked me about that Corvette that I have ... You wanna' guess what his question was ?

Ray
Old 09-09-2015, 07:03 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,089 Likes on 4,740 Posts
Army

The offers I've had on my split window are from people who weren't even concerned about the motor rating or other options....its the body style and condition. Most just ask if its an original 327, 4-spd. These cars have transcended the Corvette-only aficionados and horsepower zealots; most potential buyers just want to own and be seen in such a car, not redline it.

And base motor cars tend to be less abused, raced to death and Bubba'ed.

I also don't think there is a cadre of nefarious split window market manipulators doing a 'pump and dump'; anyway split windows aren't a commodity item like stocks. They are luxury items and nice ones are in VERY short supply. I know, I've looked at quite a few...

Of course prices rise and fall; that's the nature of hobby/luxury items; much depends on economic conditions; disposable income and other factors.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-09-2015 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:51 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,847 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

The offers.....................

... most potential buyers just want to be seen in such a car, not redline it.

I also don't think there is a cadre of nefarious split window market manipulators doing a 'pump and dump';....................

They are luxury items.............................

..........disposable income.
This doesn't sound like the HOBBY I grew up with.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:11 AM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 747 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
The offers I've had on my split window are from people who weren't even concerned about the motor rating or other options....its the body style and condition. Most just ask if its an original 327, 4-spd. These cars have transcended the Corvette-only aficionados and horsepower zealots; most potential buyers just want to own and be seen in such a car, not redline it.

And base motor cars tend to be less abused, raced to death and Bubba'ed.

I also don't think there is a cadre of nefarious split window market manipulators doing a 'pump and dump'; anyway split windows aren't a commodity item like stocks. They are luxury items and nice ones are in VERY short supply. I know, I've looked at quite a few...

Of course prices rise and fall; that's the nature of hobby/luxury items; much depends on economic conditions; disposable income and other factors.
My first lesson on price fixing came from my wife's grandfather. He was heavy into antique advertising signs and beer, soda etc. I had 2 price guides I had bought and asked him why a clock in one book was worth so much more than the other book? He smiled and said because Allan has it low in his guide because he wants the buy that item and Dave who wrote the other guide has it hi because he has stocked those and wants to sell. The answer is somewhere in the middle.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:25 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,089 Likes on 4,740 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by jasonsamara
My first lesson on price fixing came from my wife's grandfather. He was heavy into antique advertising signs and beer, soda etc. I had 2 price guides I had bought and asked him why a clock in one book was worth so much more than the other book? He smiled and said because Allan has it low in his guide because he wants the buy that item and Dave who wrote the other guide has it hi because he has stocked those and wants to sell. The answer is somewhere in the middle.
My ole used car sales manager Dad used to say, "...that Blue Book never sold a car!". So much for price guides.

Quick Reply: "Your Corvette, Is It A Split-Window ?"