C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

67 e brake console

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 01:32 PM
emanusa1
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 67 e brake console

how to get the e brake handle off to install this console
Attached Images   
Old 10-07-2015, 05:04 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

You put the plastic slider on the handle first. Then you feed the slider with the handle into the console. Don't forget to cut the slider short so it doesn't bind on the center console also not the contour of the slider and match that to the handle
Old 10-07-2015, 09:53 PM
emanusa1
Racer

Default And How?

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
You put the plastic slider on the handle first. Then you feed the slider with the handle into the console. Don't forget to cut the slider short so it doesn't bind on the center console also not the contour of the slider and match that to the handle

ok, and how am I suppose to get it on there. take off the handle part.??? with cable on it.??
Old 10-07-2015, 10:28 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by emanusa1
ok, and how am I suppose to get it on there. take off the handle part.??? with cable on it.??
Doesn't the plastic grip come off by removing the chrome trim piece at the front, and then underneath that there is a screw that holds the two haves together?

It's been a while (years) since I replaced my console when it cracked, but that's what I think I remember.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:37 PM
emanusa1
Racer

Default yup

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Doesn't the plastic grip come off by removing the chrome trim piece at the front, and then underneath that there is a screw that holds the two haves together?

It's been a while (years) since I replaced my console when it cracked, but that's what I think I remember.

Yes there is but its how to get it over the brake handle part that I don't get. do you have to take the handle off is what im trying to figure out.
Thanks, Tux
Old 10-07-2015, 10:51 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes there is but its how to get it over the brake handle part that I don't get. do you have to take the handle off is what im trying to figure out.
Thanks, Tux
Remove the chrome seatbelt holder, install the slider, and feed the slider into the console as you bring the console forward. No need to remove the handle.

The slider is split on one side to allow it to be installed on the handle.

Last edited by wombvette; 10-07-2015 at 10:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
martin2561 (12-13-2020)
Old 10-07-2015, 10:55 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by wombvette
Remove the chrome seatbelt holder, install the slider, and feed the slider into the console as you bring the console forward. No need to remove the handle.

IIRC, the slot in the slider isn't big enough to fit over the plastic handle grip. I think that's why I had to remove it when I replaced my console...........
Old 10-07-2015, 10:59 PM
emanusa1
Racer

is the plastic grommet / sleeve suppose to be cut somewhere because its solid. I made it.

Thanks, Ed
Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2015, 11:02 PM
emanusa1
Racer

[QUOTE=wombvette;1590650653]Remove the chrome seatbelt holder, install the slider, and feed the slider into the console as you bring the console forward. No need to remove the handle.

ok!... the split part is what I was missing see mine where is it suppose to be split??.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:41 PM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

[QUOTE=emanusa1;1590650714]

ok!... the split part is what I was missing see mine where is it suppose to be split??.
Below is a pic of an original ‘67 park brake plastic slide. Hard to see but at the arrow there is a slit (probably done with a razor blade) on the right side to install the slide over the handle. Once installed in the chrome guide, you won’t be able to see the slit.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:46 AM
emanusa1
Racer

Default excellent! Thanks

[QUOTE=Mike67nv;1590650879]

Below is a pic of an original ‘67 park brake plastic slide. Hard to see but at the arrow there is a slit (probably done with a razor blade) on the right side to install the slide over the handle. Once installed in the chrome guide, you won’t be able to see the slit.

That is the missing part to my puzzle. Thank you awesome forum

Ed
Old 10-08-2015, 10:56 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

The slit isn't there when the sliders are molded, and needs to be added.

The same slider is used on all 67 to 76 Corvettes, but new ones need to be shortened, to fit 67 consoles.

A few years ago there was panic in the NCRS world, when someone decided that the 67 sliders, were cut on the opposite side that 68-76's were. The 67 owners were all running around the swap meet at the Kissimmee Winter Regional, asking the vendors which side our sliders were cut on.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:20 AM
emanusa1
Racer

Originally Posted by gbvette62
The slit isn't there when the sliders are molded, and needs to be added.

The same slider is used on all 67 to 76 Corvettes, but new ones need to be shortened, to fit 67 consoles.

A few years ago there was panic in the NCRS world, when someone decided that the 67 sliders, were cut on the opposite side that 68-76's were. The 67 owners were all running around the swap meet at the Kissimmee Winter Regional, asking the vendors which side our sliders were cut on.

and here I am just improvising, silly me.
I had some old leftover material to work out my problem. I don't think with a lil experience and a imagination there isn't a part or problem we cant fix or solve together.

Thanks, Ed

Get notified of new replies

To 67 e brake console

Quick Reply: 67 e brake console