C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1960 Correct interior color - small painted pieces

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 05:13 PM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Default 1960 Correct interior color - small painted pieces

Hi all,

Need some help please! I have a 1960 Corvette (in restoration process), the exterior will be silver (Inca 509A) and the interior will be black (black seats, dash pad, carpet, door cards, steering wheel) but what color do I do some of the interior parts that are painted? I know the glove box would be silver as the paint color continues down from the deck lid but what of the instrument cluster, center console, package tray and package tray support and possibly the kick panels. I'm going for the classic original look rather than the more retro look if that helps. Were the instrument cluster and center console (and other bits) colors ever originally contrasting to the dash pad color?

I've done a google image search and have seen some that have a red exterior with black dash pad, seats and carpet but the instrument cluster and center console are red!

Thoughts and opinions welcome and if you have any photos you'd like to share also much appreciated.

Mick
Old 12-03-2015, 05:23 PM
desertpilgrim
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

"...going for the classic original look" but painting it in a 1959 color?
Old 12-03-2015, 05:36 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I haven't seen any of the later original C1 cars that had two tone interiors (barring Tuxedo carpet of course). Now, restomods, entirely different story...

However IIRC, certain interior parts like the dash cluster housing have an unbuffed finish, not mirror-glossy like so may cars have...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-03-2015 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:29 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by mickatbp
Hi all,

the instrument cluster, center console, package tray and package tray support and possibly the kick panels.

Were the instrument cluster and center console (and other bits) colors ever originally contrasting to the dash pad color?

Mick
All those parts listed should be black like the rest of the interior. Contrasting colors were never offered.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:09 PM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by desertpilgrim
"...going for the classic original look" but painting it in a 1959 color?
Yes, correct. It was built in 59 and it is not completely original anyway ... motor, gbox and disc brakes.

I thought putting down the color code and name would yank someones chain.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:11 PM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1snake
All those parts listed should be black like the rest of the interior. Contrasting colors were never offered.
Great, thanks. I thought the center console might have been silver though if any of the parts were.... apart from the glove box that is
Old 12-04-2015, 07:54 AM
Solid Axle Guy
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Great, thanks. I thought the center console might have been silver though if any of the parts were.... apart from the glove box that is
The "Center Console," or what some refer to as the "water fall," which includes the glove box, should be body color.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:37 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

What the OP is calling the center console is the radio/heater control panel. He stated "I know the glove box would be silver as the paint color continues down from the deck lid"
Old 12-04-2015, 08:59 AM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

What the OP is calling the center console is the radio/heater control panel. He stated "I know the glove box would be silver as the paint color continues down from the deck lid"
Thanks, that's right
Old 12-04-2015, 09:32 AM
Solid Axle Guy
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Awe yes. My bad.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:43 PM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

To confirm, I also believe the 'heater / radio control panel / centre console and the gauge cluster surround should be mat not gloss regardless of the colour as should be the knick panels?
Old 12-22-2015, 04:08 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

To confirm, I also believe the 'heater / radio control panel / centre console and the gauge cluster surround should be mat not gloss regardless of the colour as should be the knick panels?
They were painted with exterior body lacquer and baked with the body, but were NOT buffed like the exterior was.

Get notified of new replies

To 1960 Correct interior color - small painted pieces

Quick Reply: 1960 Correct interior color - small painted pieces