C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Rear Wheel Bearing Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 01:09 PM
veeeight
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Wheel Bearing Question

Hi All,

I have just replaced the trailing arms on a 66 C2 with brand new ones from Zip which included the bearings, parking brake shoes and rotor etc.
I replaced them because of play in the bearings.
Having finished the job now, I have noticed when the rear wheel is held at 12 & 6 o'clock there a small amount of movement when the wheel is pulled back and forwards. This seems to be movement in the wheel bearing.
Is this normal or should there be no movement at all.

Thanks Phil
Old 01-21-2016, 01:21 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Are you sure it's not movement of the yoke in and out of the differential?
Old 01-21-2016, 01:44 PM
veeeight
Instructor

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
Are you sure it's not movement of the yoke in and out of the differential?
It could be, I have not checked that. I will need to get somebody to move the wheel while I get underneath and see if there is movement of the yoke in and out.
Is that yoke movement normal? or would the strut rod not allow that movement?

Phil

Last edited by veeeight; 01-21-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:54 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

The movement is normal on both sides! Dennis
Old 01-21-2016, 04:16 PM
veeeight
Instructor

I have had another look at the wheel movement and it seems to be that the strut rods (these are ones I bought from VBP with the Dom rod ends and only driven about 2000 miles with them) are moving back and fowards on the shock lower mount. It seems there is movement between the eye of the Dom end and the shock lower mount.
Has anybody else had this problem and is it critical to have no movement at that point.

Thanks Phil
Old 01-21-2016, 06:26 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by veeeight
I have had another look at the wheel movement and it seems to be that the strut rods (these are ones I bought from VBP with the Dom rod ends and only driven about 2000 miles with them) are moving back and fowards on the shock lower mount. It seems there is movement between the eye of the Dom end and the shock lower mount.
Has anybody else had this problem and is it critical to have no movement at that point.

Thanks Phil
No experience with aftermarket struts but there shouldn't be any movement at that connection - that will allow the camber to wander around under cornering. As said above - if you don't have at least a small amount of movement of the side yokes in and out of the differential - yours is probably the only one.
The following users liked this post:
veeeight (01-21-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 07:10 PM
veeeight
Instructor

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
No experience with aftermarket struts but there shouldn't be any movement at that connection - that will allow the camber to wander around under cornering. As said above - if you don't have at least a small amount of movement of the side yokes in and out of the differential - yours is probably the only one.
Can not see any movement at all at the yokes but there is some at the strut rod ends, so looks like I need to disconect the strut rods and see where the play is located.
When I had the trailing arms off the car and the drive shafts disconnected I did have movement of the yokes in and out.
Thanks for your help.
Phil

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Wheel Bearing Question

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Bearing Question