C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Alternator wiring 140 AMP with AC and Fan

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 04:09 PM
c66vet
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Alternator wiring 140 AMP with AC and Fan

I am installing a new non stock alternator rated at 140 AMP's with an internal regulator. I will be wiring the alternator as a 3 wire alternator using the adapter kit from Lectric Limited. All wiring harnesses are new , less than 2 years old.
I have added Vintage Air AC, SPAL puller fan, and a MSD system. I don't want to run AC and Fan off the battery, planning to use a buss bar to power the AC and fan. Also attached to the bus bar will be a 8 ga wire from the alternator and a 8 ga wire from the buss bar to the horn relay.
I want to run an additional 10 ga wire from buss bar to the starter solenoid , not sure if this is the right thing to do. Should I use a larger wire 8 or 6 and remove stock wire from solenoid. I have attached a wiring diagram showing my initial plan.
I was planning to leave all stock wiring untouched.
When I added the puller fan I used the brown wire from the voltage regulator as my hot wire for the fan temperature sensor (on 195 off 175). Don't know if this is going to give me any issues with the 3 wire set up. I guess I could of got my power from the horn relay buss bar, but wasn't thinking.
Looking for electrical help/advise, do not want to burn this thing up just finished frame up restoration.
Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2016, 07:32 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

What year is your car? If it's a '67, you have some protection from fusable links in your wiring.

I have a 100 amp alternator on my '67. My car has Vintage Air, Dewitt's combo radiator with a Spal puller fan, and Mallory Unilite electronic ignition added to it. With all electrical stuff on (fan, A/C, lights, wipers, radio) I'm pulling 63 amps. My brain is a little fuzzy on that number. I'll try to put a clamp meter on the car today to verify it.

Looking forward to hearing responses to your question from electrical experts here. I am electrically-challenged myself.

Steve
Old 01-29-2016, 09:40 AM
c66vet
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Steve thanks for the input. My car is a 66 Coupe 427/425.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:08 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by c66vet
Steve thanks for the input. My car is a 66 Coupe 427/425.
I put a clamp meter on my positive battery cable. Turned the fan, wipers, and A/C on high, put on high beams, turned on the radio. With the car running, I was getting a reading of 60 to 70 amps. The readings jumped around a lot, some higher, some lower, but that seemed to be the most common reading.

Don't know if that helps you at all with your wiring loads. I know it doesn't answer your original question. Unless you have a big honkin' stereo amp, I'd say your wiring should be pretty good unless you have some kind of catastrophic failure in your alternator or somewhere that causes all those 140 amps to be drawn.

I will repeat my disclaimer that I don't know much about electricity or wiring. But others here on the forum do.

Steve
Old 01-29-2016, 06:14 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by RatDog
I put a clamp meter on my positive battery cable. Turned the fan, wipers, and A/C on high, put on high beams, turned on the radio. With the car running, I was getting a reading of 60 to 70 amps. The readings jumped around a lot, some higher, some lower, but that seemed to be the most common reading.

Don't know if that helps you at all with your wiring loads. I know it doesn't answer your original question. Unless you have a big honkin' stereo amp, I'd say your wiring should be pretty good unless you have some kind of catastrophic failure in your alternator or somewhere that causes all those 140 amps to be drawn.

I will repeat my disclaimer that I don't know much about electricity or wiring. But others here on the forum do.

Steve

The rule of thumb is to protect each and every circuit at a point closest to the battery or bus with a fuse rating based on the smallest wire (largest gage number) in the circuit.

If you run an alternator capable of allowing twice the current draw that the factory wiring was ever intended to see than it becomes important to fuse each circuit accordingly.

Dan

Last edited by dplotkin; 01-29-2016 at 06:14 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Alternator wiring 140 AMP with AC and Fan

Quick Reply: Alternator wiring 140 AMP with AC and Fan